SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
02Saturnlady
02Saturnlady will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2002 SL2
Default Intermittent high idle AFTER Intake manifold gasket replacement

Hello all, fortunately I haven't had cause to be here for awhile. Hope this finds you all well and happy

2001 SC1 SOHC

My problem...I had my intake manifold gasket replaced yesterday by a reputable shop. I didn't drive it much after I picked it up but it drove fine on the way home (approx 3 miles). I've driven approximately 30 miles today and everything was fine for about 20 miles of the trip. Coming through town I hit a stop light and my idle was at 1600 rpm's. It did this with each subsequent stop.

When I arrived home I killed it, let it sit for about 5 seconds and restarted. It then idled fine between 7 & 800 rpms.

I have the brass ECTS. Any ideas? Not sure a broken vaccuum line will cause the intermittent problem. TPS maybe? I don't have the money to start replacing parts willy nilly these days lol.

It's kind of cold out so I haven't started checking vaccuum lines. I did however hit the back of the manifold last night with carb cleaner just to make sure he got a good seal on it and it was fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02Saturnlady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02Saturnlady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02Saturnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Intermittent high idle AFTER Intake manifold gasket replacement

Disconnect the TPS, spray out the socket and connector and reconnect. Use CRC-QD Electronic Cleaner or equivalent. If you are lucky it is a dirty connection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
02Saturnlady
02Saturnlady will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Disconnect the TPS, spray out the socket and connector and reconnect. Use CRC-QD Electronic Cleaner or equivalent. If you are lucky it is a dirty connection.
Thank you OldNuc for your reply and I apologize for taking 3 months to thank you for it

I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it as well as the TPS to no avail. I replaced the TPS a few days ago with an aftermarket from Autozone. I test drove about 5 miles and everything was fine. The next time I drove it I got a high idle one time and it hasn't happened since so I'm hoping it is now fixed.

My brain no longer functions properly and I can't remember if the computer has to relearn or not (wish my brain was still capable of that lol). I really like my little coupe and it seems to get even better gas mileage than my sl1 or sl2 did.

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it OldNuc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02Saturnlady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02Saturnlady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02Saturnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The problem or issue is that these connectors are rated for a very low number of connect disconnect cycles and then they start having high resistance connections or just no connection and this usually starts showing up as a random event. Over time they just wear out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote