SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Bartolo
Bartolo is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 SL2 Throttle Linkage Lub?

Can the cable link from gas peddle to the engine be lubricated?

For some time now my accellerator has been sticking in the sense that it has to be pressed overly hard to get the engine to rev. Once going it is OK, but every time I stop the engine and restart it, even when still warm, it is difficult to "feather" the car into moving. It is the same in both cold and hot weather.

This is a manual transmission.

Thanks,
Bartolo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bartolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bartolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 1997 SL2 Throttle Linkage Lub?

Get a can of Carb Cleaner and remove the intake. Then spray down the throttle body plate. If that doesn't help enough take the throttle body off and clean the entire thing. May want to get a gasket in case the current one breaks.

Sounds like carbon build up is making the throttle plate stick, which gives the "hard" pedal feel.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Toadfish
Toadfish is on a distinguished road

Yep, clean your throttle body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toadfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toadfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Bartolo
Bartolo is on a distinguished road

Thanks to both of you! Is this procedure outlined in the How To library,
or it is pretty simple? I have never done any work on the throttle.

Bartolo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bartolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bartolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Toadfish
Toadfish is on a distinguished road

You don't have to remove the TB but its better cause you'll get behind the buttlefly valve.

You'll have to search for a how to, I'll not sure there is one but would bet there is.
Do yourself a favor if your going to be doing more repairs on your Saturn. Pick up a manual. I prefer the Haynes over Chiltons. A factory manual would be real nice but usually they charge top dollar.

Just get yourself a can of TB cleaner (one with the adjustable nozzle that can spray upside down) remove the plastic plenum that connects to the TB. As you hold the throttle open look inside and you'll see the black carbon on the body itself and valve itself. Place a rag under the TB then spray some cleaner into the TB with the valve open. I usually take a wet rag and swab the insides as far as I can get back in the TB. Swab it good then I usually start the car and work the throttle and spray it some more. The car will want to stall so keep your hand on the throttle linkage to keep it running. You might get a CEL after/during this cleaning but it should clear.
Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toadfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toadfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote