SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2000, 05:16 PM   #1
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Default Weird L Series Automatic Trans Problem

After stopping off at Saturn this morning to discuss the seat trim issue (other thread), my wife and I went grocery shopping near home.

Parked the L, removed the key fine. When we came out, the starter wouldn't engage, and the shifter was stuck in Reverse (not Park). Looked in the manual, no help, only told what to do if stuck in Park.

Luckily, my son's SL1 was at the store since he works there, so we got the groceries home. Called service on my cell, but they'd never seen this problem before. With a lot of wiggling and jiggling, got it in reverse, then drive. trans seemed OK.

Dealer will keep car and diagnose.

The GOOD part!! Got a 5 speed LS loaner for the weekend. I'm in heaven.

Anyone else had this grief. I'm not paranoid -- they're really after me.

Have a great weekend.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2000, 06:49 PM   #2
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Bob,

I have NOT heard about the Trans problem that you mentioned but there has been an ongoing trans problem on the "2" models of the "L" series. Last time that I checked, Saturn still had not figured out exactly what was causing it. In most of the cases the problem disappeared. I do know that they have a couple where the problem STAYED and hopefully they have a fix or are close to a fix.

Also, the problem is one that has appeared BEFORE the customer has taken delivery in most cases. So should not be a concern for those who already have one, IMO.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2000, 08:07 PM   #3
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

SL2-2NV;

Do you have any details on exactly what these LS2 transmission problems are ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2000, 03:10 AM   #4
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

hugh,

The problem has to do with "upshifting". The trans does not shift into Drive. NOT ALL "2"s are affected. There were two ideas of what caused the problem: 1) the computer 2) the trans itself. In most of the cases where this problem has occured, it seems to fix itself during the dealer test-drive/prep. I have only heard of ONE instance where a customer found the problem.

The good news was, that there were a couple where the problem did not clear immediately and Saturn was looking into them.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2000, 06:03 AM   #5
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

Bob: we have the LW2 with over 11,000 miles and so far no problem. It sounds as if you were somehow able to leave it in reverse when you took the key out to go shopping. I did not think you could do that? I hope that all is well (after you have had all your fun with the 5 speed!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2000, 07:44 AM   #6
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Yes, does seem to be an issue with the linkage not the trans itself.

Seem to recall one time that the key came out with the engine running. Wasn't connected to this problem and only occurred once, but maybe there's a connection and the auto trans/steering lock setup has a glitch.

Hey, the content sticker on the loaner says the stick's from Sweden, pure Saab. Yes, the stick's really neat. Our salesperson, a good bud, came over to see us last night before going dancing, and I told him he'd probably never get the demo back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread