SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2000, 06:52 PM   #1
djenning
djenning is on a distinguished road

Default L Series Recall requires ENTIRE ENGINE replacement

Just found out we need to take our new 2000 LW1 in for a service recall #00026. Customer service was following up on my complaint about the trunk liner and asked if we received our recall notice. NOPE. Address was right but I think the folks at the dealership were afraid to contact us after their MAJOR screw-ups during the sale process (bought 4 cars when we only needed one, hahaha).

Apparently then need to remove a cover to determine a code and if it is a match they then need to find the engine code. If both match then they 'just' need to replace the ENTIRE ENGINE. It is 'supposed' to take 45 minutes to determine the code and 8 hours if they have to replace the engine.

Anybody else get notified?

As far as the trunk liner the response they sent me was somewhat helpful but not completely correct. They 'said' a proper fitting liner won't be available until later this year but the rest of the explanation was wrong as the LW1 and LW2 have the same trunk! I did notice in the accessories manual that the one pictures sits 'in' about 2" down which explains why they designed it with a 2" edge cupped up all the way around. Just one problem, it looks like they redesigned the car as the cargo area of the wagon is NOT inset 2", it is basically flush with the tailgate. Guess somebody forgot to tell the folks in design about the change. Now I know why they are replacing engines in some of the new cars!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djenning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djenning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2000, 07:42 PM   #2
Emanuel
Emanuel is on a distinguished road

Default L Series Recall

You may have won the lottery; Hope that your engine needs to be replaced. If so, not only will you get a complete new engine, but saturn will give you an extended warranty (100K miles I believe) at no charge. Alternatively (your choice) Saturn will replace the car.

If you like the car you have, it makes sense (IMHO) to take the new engine and extended warranty.

I ordered (2) 2000 model LS1s. I tried to order the defective engine, but was told it was no longer offered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2000, 07:54 PM   #3
djenning

ha ha ha.

First we only had the car for 3 months and 5500 km. I would rather have the engine that came with the car originally than something installed at a dealership when some kid is gonna finish tightening the engine mount bolts etc. No comparison to factory original!

I would seriously consider taking a brand new car instead of the replacement engine. How do I sign up???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djenning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2000, 07:58 PM   #4
djenning

Forgot to add, we bought the 6 year, 120,000km extended warranty so I won't accept the 100,000km one you are offering!! hahaha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2000, 08:32 PM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default L Series ENTIRE ENGINE replacement

djenning- This was announced months ago. Details probably still can be found on Charlie's site. My LS1 was not one of the ones affected. Just like Emmanual I was hoping to hit the lottery because IMO a new engine and the extended warranty are a good deal. I really don't believe that changing an engine would cause me great concern. I've had garage passes to races and watched engines being changed routinely on cars that will be driven to the limit the next day. You also probably are not aware of how frequently engines are changed on high performance jet aircraft. I think the techs at a Saturn shop are very capable of doing the same for cars that will not come anywhere near those performance requirements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2000, 10:00 PM   #6
Iceman

Default cargo liner

djenning...if you want the cargo liner to fit right to the edge, get the MacNeil Weathercraft liner, they look and work great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 06-30-2000, 05:05 AM   #7
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Default L S Recall requires ENTIRE ENGINE replacement

djenning,

Don,t know from your post if this is the "RECALL" that Saturn had a while ago or a NEW one.

BUT, Saturn on the one that I am aware of, offered the customer 3 options:
1 - Extended warranty
2 - FREE maintenance (I think it was until 45,000 miles) option mainly for people leasing, IMO
3 - Bring car back and get a NEW one (also think that this one allowed the customer to get their money back)

From your post I am not sure if the Service folks at the Retailer or Saturn Corp. contacted you. I do know under the original "recall" that ALL the Retailers had a short period of time to find the cars and that expired a while ago. When did you get your LW1? We got ours about 6 weeks ago and have NOT heard anything about a RECALL. I will check this AM to see if this is new or not.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2000, 06:08 AM   #8
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Default L Series Recall requires ENTIRE ENGINE

Many of these were handled before the cars were sold, and the vehicles were then sold with full disclosure of the engine swap and a discount.

This was a nice gesture since these engines may not even fail. Just contrast this to Ford's behavior with the 3.8 engine (class action before any recall).

As stated before, the customer could get a new car as they desired.

Strange this vehicle wasn't checked before being sold to you. Perhaps it just fell through the cracks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2000, 08:21 AM   #9
djenning

Well do I ever feel left out! Apparently this is the same recall as the one on March 22, 2000.

That leaves several questions:

1: Why didn't Saturn check the car on the lot BEFORE selling it?
2: Why did Saturn sell me a car they KNEW was subject to the recall?
3: Why did the dealership NOT notify me of the recall?

I love the car but am really questioning the competency especially after the nightmare buying experience which involved TWO pricing errors in the amount of 1000.00 and then 2300.00 before they finally got the 4th contract right. Should have gotten a lawyer and made them stick to the contract with the 2300.00 error. It was signed by all parties INCLUDING the manager. The dealer was amazed no-one picked up on the error from the person in accounting who prepared it, to the salesman, to the manager, to GM finance...all who reviewed it...seems I am the only one who even had an incling of the error as I mentioned that the price seemed too low, at time of signing. But the salesman dismissed my comments by saying it was because the ext.warranty,fabric trt were included before taxes.

Thanks to all for you feedback...I REALLY do love the car, maybe I am just expecting too much from the dealership and Saturn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2000, 10:03 AM   #10
djenning

Noticed a cable that is supposed to be secured by the cable holder on the air filter assembly was not in the plastic clip. The recall inspection 00026 called for removal of the air cleaner and alternator. Guess they forgot that minor detail when reinstalling the parts. Kind of confirms my suspicion about having a new engine replaced at the dealership vs factory installed. More things get missed at the dealer than on the line which has all those double checks etc. Just my gut feeling. How's this dealer going to handle a complete engine replacement which involves many cables/connectors etc???? Somebody is sleeping at the wheel in Service and it is that much worse when the Service manager can only make excuses!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread