SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Fuk_N_Guy
Fuk_N_Guy is on a distinguished road

Dizzy craigslist deal of a lifetime gone bad!!!!

so i am currently in Chicago, IL. I was browsing craigslist sunday and found a 99 saturn SC2 5 speed with 179000 miles on it for 800 obo. i called the guy and told him ill give him 500 bucks for it if it runs decent. in the ad was saying clutch oil leaked. so i went there test drove it and it was hard shifting into gears. it was drivable and motor ran strong. i was impressed. i had a 95 saturn SL1 before and i missed it so i wanted the saturn. so i went up to the atm to take money out and could only pull 380 out so i was like fux it ill try and offer him that and see if he will take it. well he took it and i drove it home fine. i was extremely happy. next day went to take to shop to try and see what exactly was wrong with it. on my way up there the clutch oil leaked or burned all up, so it was stuck in 2nd gear the rest of my trip couldnt stop or it would stall so at a light i would shut car off and start it in 2nd. mind u i am flying passed stop signs cutting ppl off cuz i wanted to stop as little as possible so it was a fun, heart pumping, crazy driving experience. if i wasnt so daring and a adrenaline junkie i woulda had a heart attack. and if u know streets of chicago u know its nuts. so i finnally got to the shop, everyone lookin at me like that doesnt sound too good when i shut it off. so i give them the keys gave em my number and left waited for the phone call. i get it a hour later. this guy is telling me its not the right trans for this car someone put the wrong trans in and clutch and the mechanic was askin me how i was able to drive it. he actually didnt want any part of fixing it and tells me its not worth fixing save my money and get another car. i said fux that i knew another shop that this guy will attemt to fix anything. so heres round 2 of driving it in 2nd gear flying past anything i could and driving like a maniac. in front of the police and everything i didnt give a fux and neither did they apparently. so i get there tell him what this other mechanic said and he called me back saying well u need a new clutch, cylinder, and a rebuilt trans and with labor he would charge me 1300 total. now i bought the car for 380 bucks should i quadruple my investment to save this saturn or junk it. it has no body damage and is black with a nice motor in it. any suggestions from anybody feel free to reply. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fuk_N_Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fuk_N_Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fuk_N_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: craigslist deal of a lifetime gone bad!!!!

If you have the space, try to sell the parts and minimize your losses.

You know the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true..."

Thanks for the story - it convinces me why I refuse to buy a used vehicle from a stranger.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

I disagree, TX. This is exactly the vehicle I'm looking for. One quick stop in my garage and several hours later (along with whatever parts I need), I have a running saturn. Saturns are remarkable in their ability to bounce back after years of neglect. Everything is replaceable on these cars.. so everything can be restored.

OP - If you bought a car for $400, you should expect to do some major repairs. YDI if you are trying to pay a shop to do it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
I disagree, TX. This is exactly the vehicle I'm looking for.
Yeah, but he is not you. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't appear the OP is as knowledgeable at repairs and/or willing to do the work himself as you. The advice should be suited in the direction of the OP.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

If the only issue is with the trans, someone that knows what they're doing can fix it for less than $500. I'm curious how it could have the wrong trans, when either S-Series manual trans should work fine, and a non-S-Series trans is unlikely to even bolt up properly. Take some pix of where the trans meets the engine, cuz if it is a non-S-Series trans, that'd be interesting to see. But yeah, if it's just the trans, either learn how to fix it yourself & spend a few hundred bucks at the pick-n-pull, or sell it to someone who will.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Someone put a defective clutch in it and that translates to transmission for the unknowing. One LUK clutch and its probably fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

It could also be the shifter cable or the connections at the tranny! OP - does the car shift properly when the engine is OFF and the clutch pedal left alone? If so, the problem is clutch. If not, it's possibly the shifter cable or where it connects to the tranny. This could be an easy fix yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Could also be someone dumped gear oil into the transmission. Anyway you slice it it is a simple fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

If you lived a little closer to me, I'd give you 500 for it for your troubles. Like the others are saying , its probably a few hours and a few hundred bones and its back to life. Im sure with the people here on this forum, you can fix it yourself.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
regenoldiii
regenoldiii is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Usually people that buy vehicles very cheap plan to do much of the work themselves... although, I'll admit, w/o a lift in my garage I really wouldn't want to even attempt tackling a transmission swap.

The above said, $1300 doesn't seem bad, esp. considering this is Chicago... what you could do, however, is attempt to source some of the parts yourself and just ask mechanic how much he'd charge for labor. Possibly some other Saturn owner in your area has a good used manual tranny that he'd like to sell for less than half the price of a rebuilt. Then again, if you don't have a truck and no way to transport this stuff, then back to the beginning... as long as the engine and exhaust are good, and the body is in reasonably good condition, then under $2K for a 99 SC2 doesn't seem like a bad deal (if you plan to keep it).

Vehicles:
----------
'95 Saturn SC1 (single owner)
'99 Mustang GT (sold)
'09 Toyota RAV Sport
'09 BMW 135i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to regenoldiii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help regenoldiii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
regenoldiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

There is no such thing as clutch oil. Perhaps the clutch _hydraulics_ failed? Does the clutch fail to disengage? This could be something as simple as a $120 hydraulics replacement, doable with hand tools in the driveway. What specific evidence did the shop provide for their "wrong trans" claim?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

if you have a driveway do it yourself, if you can only park in street, well that sux to be u, honestly i hate the idea of living in a big city like this for that reason and more.

ive done a tranny, its so easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
If you have the space, try to sell the parts and minimize your losses.

You know the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true..."

Thanks for the story - it convinces me why I refuse to buy a used vehicle from a stranger.
perfectly workings saturns do sell for 400$ on ebay still these days, u just gotta be good at buying stuff off there.

i would know i bought one, three years and no major problems, just 2 tires, leaky water pump, a clutch that sucked-lasted a year(it was some stupid rice clutch), and oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
regenoldiii
regenoldiii is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobyjones View Post
perfectly workings saturns do sell for 400$ on ebay still these days, u just gotta be good at buying stuff off there.

i would know i bought one, three years and no major problems, just 2 tires, leaky water pump, a clutch that sucked-lasted a year(it was some stupid rice clutch), and oil.
4 good tires and 4 wheels are worth a few hundred, so the idea of getting a good Saturn off eBay for $400 is questionable... although possible, I guess,... but how are you "good at buying stuff off there?" I've looked on eBay for many things and complex things like cars are a minefield if you bid on one with out actually seeing it/ test driving it. eBay is loaded with scams and used car dealers selling stuff on eBay because they can't sell it in person.

I personally like the idea of Craigslist and buying closer to home... where you can test drive the vehicles.

Vehicles:
----------
'95 Saturn SC1 (single owner)
'99 Mustang GT (sold)
'09 Toyota RAV Sport
'09 BMW 135i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to regenoldiii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help regenoldiii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
regenoldiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

If you can't fix it yourself, part it out and scrap the rest.You should be able to break even with what you spent.

This is one example of why I will NEVER buy a vehicle off CL!! CL has become a place where everyone just sells their garbage!!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
CL has become a place where everyone just sells their garbage!!
Not everyone!

I sold a 2001 SL1 to a guy a couple months ago... then he called me a month later and said the water pump was leaking. I told him to bring it back over and I replaced it for $20. He was ecstatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by regenoldiii View Post
4 good tires and 4 wheels are worth a few hundred, so the idea of getting a good Saturn off eBay for $400 is questionable... although possible, I guess,... but how are you "good at buying stuff off there?" I've looked on eBay for many things and complex things like cars are a minefield if you bid on one with out actually seeing it/ test driving it. eBay is loaded with scams and used car dealers selling stuff on eBay because they can't sell it in person.

I personally like the idea of Craigslist and buying closer to home... where you can test drive the vehicles.
im saying over three years all ive done is two tires a water pump clutch and oil, like 400 in maintainance a year

plus I'm talking about buying a saturn on craigslist not ebay, I got lucky, the guy was a mechanic that put a 60,000 mile engine in the 160k shell and bought a new car, cause his satty was too small for his kids and he really needed to get rid of it. his post said 600 but he sold it for 400 just so id buy it, and I knew how to work on saturns, i was like whatever, a saturns a saturn, that car runs like its brand new still.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
This is one example of why I will NEVER buy a vehicle off CL!! CL has become a place where everyone just sells their garbage!!
So, where else would you buy a 15 year old used car that needs repairs? Craigslist and ebay are about it. Unless you would prefer to buy an overpriced used car from a dealer. I will take my chances with craigslist over a dealer anyday.

I dont see craigslist any different than buying from the classifieds section in the newspaper. Thats how it was done before the internet. As always, its buyer beware, no matter where you buy your car from. The key is to know what your buying and what its worth, and what your willing to spend in time and money to get it in the condition you want.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

+1^^True statement. And CL dos not get ink on your fingers. But you can not line the puppy kennel or bird cage with CL either. It is all a trade off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
And why we don't buy cars that are worth a few Franklins, people.

+1 on the parts suggestion though. I wonder how the titling process worked out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
+1^^True statement. And CL dos not get ink on your fingers. But you can not line the puppy kennel or bird cage with CL either. It is all a trade off.
Not unless you printed off each ad you saw there and ripped it up...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote