SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
Sad I am very sad

Hey all,
I have a 95 Grand Marquis that I purchased used in 97. It had every option, and it is one of a kind. However, I am very sad. A few years ago, I moved, and had to park the car outside. Apparently it had a very small dent in the roof (I have no idea how it got there) and it is ruining the paint, inch by inch! I spent years taking care of this car (It had the optional pin striping and metallic green paint) and now the paint is starting to lift! And the worst part is, I don't know how to stop it! I cant park it inside because its too big for the garage. It is not the clearcoat that is going either, the color is turning white in little spots everywhere! It is starting on the hood and the trunk too! Plus some little $%#@ kid came by and keyed the hood! (it doesn't really show unless you look at it though)
Is there any way I can stop the paint from going? I cant afford a car cover right now either, and I saw what happened to my poor little SC after years of sun... Luckily I will be doing a rustoleum job on it this summer, but I cant bear the thought of my perfect 95 going to waste!

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Equalyzer
Equalyzer is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Re: I am very sad

Once paint starts to bubble, there's not too much you can do with it, unfortunately. I remember my father used to have this problem with his Intrigue, after he had it repainted. He stopped the bubbling by putting little American flag stickers and other various decals over the bubbles as they formed... it seemed to stop them from getting worse, though I don't know if you're interested in stickers. :P

Maybe some of that clear vinyl made to protect paint would help slow the damage progression? That stuff is kinda spendy, though...

If you're concerned about the sun and a car cover isn't an option, the best thing you can do is wax it. If you're on a budget, you can just get some plain old Turtle Wax. Last I checked, it was around $3.50 a can. Put a few coats of it on there, and that should hold off the damage progression somewhat. ^_^

- Long ago: '93 SL2, "Celeste" (currently living out retirement in a Southern California garage)
- Now: '99 SC2, "Lucy" (restoration project)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Equalyzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Equalyzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Equalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote