SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Default Thermostat/ECTS issue

Situation:
Ca.r ran at 1/4 since I can remember. Decided I needed to fix that before the hot weather came (and with it, the potential for overheating).
Replaced the ECTS, felt a slight difference, but no temp change.
Replaced the thermostat, and the temp then started to go to 1/2 and a bit more, and the fan did work.

Night after I fixed it, I got home and shut my car off, and the fan wouldn't stop. It took roughly 5 minutes for it to turn off, which is very unusual.

I ended up having to keep filling the coolant with water because I was low (found a leak a few days later) and the light kept coming on.

Finally, after fixing it, I thought I was ok. Then I realized after all this, my temp now reads 1/4 again, at the max.

Any ideas? Would the thermostat die that quickly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Ken Benson
Ken Benson is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1997 SC1
Default Re: Thermostat/ECTS issue

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If your gauge has always read at 1/4, and continues to do so now that the leak is corrected, the car should be fine.

Temp gauges on cars aren't calibrated to all read at the same level. My temp gauge always runs at just a bit under halfway, but that doesn't mean your engine is only half as hot as mine, for instance. If your temp sensor *NEVER* moved off cold, or seemed stuck in one spot whether the engine was hot or cold, only then would I worry.

Changing the ECTS from the old resin type to the brass type is good, and it sounds as if you noticed some improvement already, but that wouldn't affect where the gauge would point thereafter. It certainly didn't affect my car.

The fan staying on after shutting off the car is normal, as it is computer driven, not ingition driven.

If your leak is fixed and the coolant level stays constant, you should be all fixed for the summer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Benson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Benson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Benson
If your leak is fixed and the coolant level stays constant, you should be all fixed for the summer.
Unfortunately, I don't hear the fan anymore. Even after lots of hard driving and or highway driving.

My confusion mostly arises from the fact that the temp problem was "fixed" for a bit, and now it's not anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Ken Benson
Ken Benson is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1997 SC1

The fan shouldn't come on all the time, only when the temp goes up around a 1/4 mark over where it normally would sit warm. Certainly, that is my case, and that seems to be concensus from what I've read on the forums.

Does it seem to overheat without the fan ever engaging? If so, something is obviously amiss. Also, if equipped, does the fan come on when you engage the AC? If it comes on, then the fan works.

Highway driving actually keeps the engine cooler, as you get great air flow to the radiator. A good test would be to start it and let it sit with poor air flow. If the gauge goes hot without the fan starting, there's a problem somewhere. You may want to check the cooling fan fuse and relay just to be sure. If the fuse is toast, that should be obviously burned up. Swap the relay with another relay and see if it helps matters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Benson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Benson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Actually, the fan may not go on until you're well into 3/4.

Have you FIXED (not just found) the leak yet? If so, and if it's no longer losing coolant, and the gauge is reading normally, why do you think you still have a cooling problem?

BTW, your coolant mix is probably weak, and that MAY affect the gauge reading. Get your mix back up to 50/50 (which it needs at all times, to properly protect the engine), and see what happens from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Benson
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If your gauge has always read at 1/4, and continues to do so now that the leak is corrected, the car should be fine.

Temp gauges on cars aren't calibrated to all read at the same level. My temp gauge always runs at just a bit under halfway, but that doesn't mean your engine is only half as hot as mine, for instance. If your temp sensor *NEVER* moved off cold, or seemed stuck in one spot whether the engine was hot or cold, only then would I worry.
They should all read similar, with respect to generation.
first gens sit at just under 1/2, after 1995, they recalibrated it, and it sits closer to 1/4

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
kthane
kthane is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I think the issue here is that nothing was ever broken. Mine has never gone much above the quarter mark since the day I drove it off the lot brand new. Only time it went over half was when my electric cooling fan died. And it only got hot if the A/C was on. Of course computer cut off A/C as engine temp got to 3/4. Only time I've ever heard my cooling fan on is sitting at idle with the A/C on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kthane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kthane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kthane is offline   Reply With Quote