SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
RedVision_350
RedVision_350 is on a distinguished road

Default Possible Thermostat Issue?

Another recent problem among many for my car. Anyway, yesterday I dropped my little sister off at school, and not even a 1/4 mile away is an intersection which I was sitting at. My SES light came on, and it always comes on (Don't have a code reader), but only during peak temperatures. I saw my temp indicator was past the 3/4 mark and on it's way to the red zone. I pulled over, let it cool, and got home. For the remainder of the day I used my dad's truck. I checked under my car and all around the engine bay for some kind of leak, although it might have evaporated since it was hot. All the hoses are in good condition. My radiator fan is working, and nothing is cracked or damaged (That I can see). Once the engine got hot, the temp indicator would go half way, then drop a little bit and show an SES light, and it would hold somewhat steady. This morning I took it to autozone, they read codes but couldn't help me with my overheating issue. When I started my car to leave, I don't know why, I just turned on the AC. As soon, and I mean right after, the AC turned on the temp reading shot down to the first mark, 1/4. So I'm thinking I have a bad thermostat.

*Sorry for long post, but I wanted to give as much information and detail. Also, the codes were 35 and 49, 35 being a faulty IAC, and 49 was a vacuum leak. I'm not sure if these readings are accurate and I'm not sure if they're related. Thanks for reading.

*EDIT* Ok also the other thing is that the times that I had the overheating issue I did NOT have the AC on.

Last edited by RedVision_350; 08-31-2007 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: More info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedVision_350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedVision_350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedVision_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Possible Thermostat Issue?

Year and model? Have you ever changed your ECTS?

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
kornphlake
kornphlake is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

It could be a bad thermostat, if turning on the A/C (which turns on the fan) brought the temps down that much. This time of year it's not uncommon for the temperature gage to get up to 3/4 in slow traffic, even just sitting through 2 cycles at a signal I've noticed my temperature gage creep up pretty quickly. I don't think the fan even comes on until the temp is about 3/4 anyway, you may have been sitting at the stop light and saw the temperature gage rise and shut off the engine before the fan had a chance to kick in. Once the fan comes on it should stay on until the temperature falls below half.

I've seen more thermostats stuck open than stuck closed (I think they are designed to be fail-safe) a thermostat stuck open won't cause your vehicle to overheat, and it will let the engine temperature drop lower than the optimal operating temperature with sufficent air flow, do you notice your heater doesn't feel very warm on cold mornings? Are you certain your fan works? Does it come on when the engine is hot and the A/C is off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kornphlake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kornphlake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVision_350 View Post
Another recent problem among many for my car. Anyway, yesterday I dropped my little sister off at school, and not even a 1/4 mile away is an intersection which I was sitting at. My SES light came on, and it always comes on (Don't have a code reader), but only during peak temperatures. I saw my temp indicator was past the 3/4 mark and on it's way to the red zone. I pulled over, let it cool, and got home. For the remainder of the day I used my dad's truck. I checked under my car and all around the engine bay for some kind of leak, although it might have evaporated since it was hot. All the hoses are in good condition. My radiator fan is working, and nothing is cracked or damaged (That I can see). Once the engine got hot, the temp indicator would go half way, then drop a little bit and show an SES light, and it would hold somewhat steady. This morning I took it to autozone, they read codes but couldn't help me with my overheating issue. When I started my car to leave, I don't know why, I just turned on the AC. As soon, and I mean right after, the AC turned on the temp reading shot down to the first mark, 1/4. So I'm thinking I have a bad thermostat.

*Sorry for long post, but I wanted to give as much information and detail. Also, the codes were 35 and 49, 35 being a faulty IAC, and 49 was a vacuum leak. I'm not sure if these readings are accurate and I'm not sure if they're related. Thanks for reading.

*EDIT* Ok also the other thing is that the times that I had the overheating issue I did NOT have the AC on.
the Code 35 could be causing code 49 and might be helped by a good cleaning of your throttlebody and IAC valve.....it could just be that you are panicking at seeing the needle going that far......what other symptoms are you getting that lead you to believe the car is overheating? What part of the country do you live in? It's not uncommon for the car to heat up while sitting like that.....but you probably turned the AC on right before the computer kicked the fan on anyway...which it is designed to do......

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote