SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
ilea
ilea is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Wrench 99 sw2 engine rebuild thread

Heading up a really steep bridge (Huey P Long for those in NOLa) my sw2 coughed up a puff of smoke and started shaking violently. Check engine light flashing (misfire cyl 4) and all. Limped her home and compression tested her. 0 on cyl 4.
Borrowed rack space in a friends garage.
Behold my fallen soldier.

So I'm looking at a rebuild at 188k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilea is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2
Default Re: 99 sw2 engine rebuild thread

Were you at or close to WOT when it happened? I bet your fuel filter is original?

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
ilea

1997 SW2

I was close to WOT. I changed the fuel filter when I got her 4 years ago. Already got a new fuel filter and pump on my workbench waiting to go in after the rebuild. Thank goodness for napa employee discounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Check the fuel pressure and only use a WIX 33731 filter regulator or you will be burning more valves.

Fuel pressure must be 45-51 PSI at all times or you will burn valves. If there is an exhaust leak ofr a restricted preCAT you can run lean at high RPM WOT and mor burned valves. As you noticed this happens very fast.

The actual filter element rarely plugs up unless you are stealing AG gas at night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
ilea

1997 SW2

I got the wix filter and a delphi pump. New oxygen sensor too. Got a rebuild kit and waiting on a reman'd head to show up. Gonna do the control arms and struts while I'm at it. Cv axle too cause when I got in there I saw the outer boot was cracked and had just about run dry.

Should I replace the injectors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilea's Reputation
Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Check your fuel pressure and hope the head you bought is not just cleaned up junk. Once you know the preCAT has been gutted and the exhaust is bubble tight at 3-4psi then injectors would be a lovely idea. Which injectors can be an interesting discussion. Rebuilt and tested Bosch injectors can be purchased relatively cheaply. A higher flow injector will usually keep the >75% throttle fuel mixture on the power side of the curve. Changing the timing chain is a good idea while it is all apart, that is pump gears - complete timing set.

Exhaust leak test.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote