SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Default 2007 Saturn Vue third brake light

Hi,

I have a 2007 Vue and some of the light bulbs have burned out and I need to replace them. I removed the water nozzle and unscrewed both screws, but I was unable to remove the brake light. I tried to pry it out with a screw driver, but the plastic started bending and I didnít want to break it so I stopped.

Do I need to get plastic prying tools? Any advice how to remove the third brake light? Also, what type bulbs do I need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 865D4833-182D-472D-862C-4D08341C8446.jpg (99.7 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue third brake light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manospeed View Post
Hi,

I have a 2007 Vue and some of the light bulbs have burned out and I need to replace them. I removed the water nozzle and unscrewed both screws, but I was unable to remove the brake light. I tried to pry it out with a screw driver, but the plastic started bending and I didnít want to break it so I stopped.

Do I need to get plastic prying tools? Any advice how to remove the third brake light? Also, what type bulbs do I need?

I recall removing the third brake light assembly on a family memberís 2006 Saturn Vue some time ago to replace a bulb.

If I remember correctly, once the two screws are removed - the assembly should pry out. There is a foam rubber gasket that surrounds the rear of the assembly and it dries out and sticks to the opening. You may have to take a plastic stick (such as a plastic knife) or a wood Popsicle stick and gently pry the gasket away from the hatch housing opening. I recall having difficulty removing the assembly, but took my time so I didnít crack it or ruin the gasket.

The bulb numbers should be listed in your vehicle ownerís manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue third brake light

Just wanted to give everyone a status update. I fixed the burnt out bulbs in my third brake light. I had purchased some trim prying tools thinking this was going to be quite a job removing the third light bulb. However, I never had to use them. The car had been sitting outside and it was quite cold, so I managed to slowly pop off the fixture with relative ease. The steps are as follows:

1. Unscrew the left and right screws holding the third brake light in place
2. Slowly start prying it out using your hands or trim prying tools
3. Disconnect the wiring attachment (on the right) when you've pried it out enough
4. Manually pry off the washer fluid tube (on the left) either by slowly pulling the third brake like fixture away or via narrow nosed pliers
5. Using a flat head screwdriver, depress the tabs (2 top/2 bottom) to separate the light bulb housing unit from the light bulb cover and pull the two pieces apart.
6. Remove each light bulb (5 total) by pinching them straight out
7. Clean/remove any corrosion you might see on the light bulb contacts and/or contact strip (I simply used the tip of a small flat head screwdriver to scratch off as much corrosion as possible)
8. Attach new light bulbs to the housing unit
9. Re-attach/snap light bulb housing/cover back together
10. Re-connect electrical wiring attachment to right side of third brake light and let it drop (hanging down from the wire)

(This is a good time to test the third brake light to ensure the light bulbs are functioning properly)

(Now the tricky part)
11. Washer fluid tube, most likely, has withdrawn back into third brake light cavity. The tube itself is quite small in length and it is highly unlikely you'll be able to re-attach it with ease. To connect the washer fluid feeding tube to the third brake light do the following:

a. Have a pair of narrow flat nosed pliers in your right hand.
b. Insert your left hand in the the cavity, get as good of a grip as possible with your fingers and pull out the tube as mush as possible outside of the cavity (1-2 inches) and hold it.
c. With your left hand holding the washer fluid tube, insert the pair or pliers you're holding in your right hand as deep in the cavity as possible and grab the washer fluid tube.
d. Release the end of the tube with your left hand and pull out the tube as much as possible with the pliers in your right hand
e. Now grab the third brake light with your left hand and angle it such that the left edge is at the 12 o'clock position and the right edge is facing the 6 o'clock position.
f. Push the third brake light inward toward the washer fluid feeding tube and reconnect the two

12. With both the washer fluid tube and electrical wiring attached, insert the third brake light back into the housing (ensure a good/stable fit)
13. Secure it back in place using the two screws

Done...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote