SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Checking LCA

car is a 1997 with 161700 miles
The front end feels sort of junky and rattly. Not yet into the realm of my old Ford Fairmont for junkiness but sort of loose over small bumps. I replaced all 4 struts about 3 years ago.

When checking the LCA, can you put a floor jack under the LCA to lift that tire?
Not really an obvious question- for example, Indy cars use delicate control arms that probably wouldn't take too kindly to a bending force.

What is an expected mileage to replace LCA? (This car has not seen winter driving.)

Thank you

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Checking LCA

I replaced my front wheel bearings at 205k miles and the LCA's and ball joints were tight. Outer tie rod ends were a different story. The LCA is rather stout - you won't damage it by jacking up a wheel. If the ball joint boots are torn or cracked, look no further - just replace.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I wouldn't jack on the LCA at all!

Use the standard lift point and then employ a stout prybar to check for slop.

Tie rod ends are common wear points to look at as well as the ball joint but, the stabilizer bar bushing is what got me! My RF bushing cracked, slowly backed off the nut (on it's own) and eventually dropped the whole works on the ground!

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Thanx to off track /\

I put my impact wrench on the 24 mm nuts, at the ends of the stabilizer bar- feels like a new car! I haven't taken it out on the freeway yet, but I "think" the rattly-ness is gone I checked and rechecked, all ball joints and TRE were tight.

Next- the bushings at the rear knuckles, at the ends of the drag links. Look cracked etc. so might tackle those.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote