SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
megaman8x
megaman8x is on a distinguished road

Default problem with back wheels

A month or ago my tire went flat and so i put on one of my donuts from my parts car. So a few weeks ago i started hearing screeching noises from the wheel where the spare tire was on, I thought it was the spare going out and since i was gonna replace it soon I didn't pay it any attention, last week it started getting worse where it would make a loud screeching, scratching sound when i would break so I thought this donut was really about to go at any second, so today i tried to get one more trip on the donut when I started hearing the noise and noticed and then i started t to wooble and the donut busted luckily a police officer was there and told he had seen it and gave me a ride back home where i borrowed a friends donut. I make my way back to the car and and change the tire and I start to hear the screeching again and this time it is accompanied with the smell of rubber which eventually led to that donut being busted so i had to slowly scrap along to reach my back lawn and i noticed that my breaks weren't pumping all the way (they did a little but not fully) and i looked into the brake fluid tank and see that its completely empty (which i don't know if its related seeing I knocked it a few times taking the air intake off to clean the egr valve a few days earlier)

my question is could this be the wheel(weel boot, shoes) itself causing the screeching or was it just two bad donuts? thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to megaman8x's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help megaman8x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
megaman8x is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
radi
radi is on a distinguished road

Default Re: problem with back wheels

Sounds like you have a bigger problem than just a bad donut spare.
I'm gonna guess a bad wheel bearing/hub?
If your master cylinder is dry, you no doubt have air in the brake system now, which would account for the bad brake pedal. You'll have to refill that and bleed the air out....before you drive it anywhere else.
Do you see any brake fluid leaks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi View Post
Do you see any brake fluid leaks?
There's probably a pond in at least one drum from a leaking wheel cylinder.
Might have locked the shoes to the drum & that's whats killing your donuts.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
megaman8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
There's probably a pond in at least one drum from a leaking wheel cylinder.
Might have locked the shoes to the drum & that's whats killing your donuts.
If that is the case (hopefully seeing its the cheapest) how would i get the break drum off to check the cylinder if the shoes are pressed against it?

also when i was tightening the lugs when the tire would move a little bit it would make a scraping sound not sure if that helps narrow down the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help megaman8x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

the scraping sound indicates that the drum & brakeshoe(s) is/are making contact. there should be a slot with either a metal or rubber plug in the back of the brake back plate that u can remove. using a flat screwdriver, u can turn the adjusting wheel whichever direction to loosen/back off the brakeshoes.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
megaman8x

OK I've got updates, turns out the car does not have drums but rotors and pads and had a close relative who is a mechanic look at it, pretty much told me the rotor was done, it had been eating through (these were all the original pads and rotors that came with the car when bought it) that the caliper had locked into place and that it might have "frozen" which means it had to be replaced.

So he said the way to check if its still good was to unscrew the caliper bolts and use a screw driver to try to pry out the caliper but after the pain of trying to get the bolts off the lower one broke in half which means I have to get a new caliber mount if I cant get it out, we were able to get the rest of the parts off the pads were pretty much trash and after taking off the caliber he was able to compress back into the piston by winding it back in and says it should still be good seeing that it didn't have any leaks.(not sure about this does anyone know)

my question is that I have a parts car Ive been using to fix this one up and could I use one of the caliber mounts off one of the front wheels and use it or do i have to get a new mount specifically for the rear caliper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00043.jpg (121.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00044.jpg (145.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00045.jpg (155.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00046.jpg (117.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00047.jpg (207.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by megaman8x; 12-31-2010 at 04:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Rear caliper is significantly smaller then the front, need a mount specific to the rear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
megaman8x

Well Ive been looking online and cannot find any caliper brackets for the rear only the fronts and don't want to pay for a whole caliper so does anyone know where to find them online or somewhere cheap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

A-1 CARDONE Part # 141152 $24 (rear left)
A-1 CARDONE Part # 141151 $24 (rear right)
Both on rockauto.com, well for '91-'98 I guess. Pretty sure '99+ never came from the factory with rear calipers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Cane3D
Cane3D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
A-1 CARDONE Part # 141152 $24 (rear left)
A-1 CARDONE Part # 141151 $24 (rear right)
Both on rockauto.com, well for '91-'98 I guess. Pretty sure '99+ never came from the factory with rear calipers.
I didnt know that saturns in general ever came with rear calipers, my '00 sc2 def only has front calipers, but it would have been nice to have rear ones as well..

Do you think he could kinda DIY convert front calipers to replace the rear ones.. rotors and all, or would that be too much work, cause i guess his car is already set up for it, so maybe use (if the same size) same front calipers on the back for replacement..

This is more of a question/guess, just wondering myself and trying to help out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cane3D's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cane3D reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cane3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

No, the front brakes are completely different from the rears, and nothing substantial will swap.

Also, it's not a good idea to be driving around on donut tires for weeks, they're meant to get you home after a flat, maybe get you by for a day or two at low speeds, they're not meant for regular use.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane3D View Post
Do you think he could kinda DIY convert front calipers to replace the rear ones.. rotors and all, or would that be too much work, cause i guess his car is already set up for it, so maybe use (if the same size) same front calipers on the back for replacement..
Technically yes. It'd require taking the front brackets & calipers from the parts car & putting 'em on. Even then I think the mounting bolts on the rear hub are closer together then the fronts. And he wouldn't have a parking brake. And since the front calipers hold more fluid then the rears it'd reduce the braking ability of the rear even more (not good).
I'll see if I've got the rear brackets at my current house, as it's been a long time since I looked at 'em. I do know that when put side by side the brackets are vastly different in size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
megaman8x

Well since i will be replacing one rotor I decided to just replace both rear rotors and brake pads, I going with the wearever rotors from AAP I wish i could get the wragners but It doesn't say if they fit the rear.

My question is which kind of pads should I get; semi metallic or ceramic? from what Ive read ceramics eat through the rotors and are only compatible with certain cars, is that true?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

use semi-metallic, front & rear.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
megaman8x

I finally have the parts to rebuild it but I don't know to use brake grease or silicon on the pins/pads I was told not to use grease cause it could dry up and seize and silicon wont, which one should I use ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!