SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
aat1982
aat1982 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default fuse to 2003 saturn vue horn keeps blowing out

Hello, I'm new to this website and I just had a question about my 2003 saturn vue. For some reason the fuse connected to my horn keeps blowing out and the service light comes. Ive already taken it to a saturn dealership twice. It seems every time they fix the problem by replacing the fuse, it's okay for a couple of days then it blows out again. I have only had this suv for five months and this problem just recently occured. I was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem and can share a solution to it. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aat1982's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aat1982 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aat1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: fuse to 2003 saturn vue horn keeps blowing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by aat1982 View Post
Hello, I'm new to this website and I just had a question about my 2003 saturn vue. For some reason the fuse connected to my horn keeps blowing out and the service light comes. Ive already taken it to a saturn dealership twice. It seems every time they fix the problem by replacing the fuse, it's okay for a couple of days then it blows out again. I have only had this suv for five months and this problem just recently occured. I was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem and can share a solution to it. Thanks.
1. Step 1. Smack the mechanic who just keeps "changing the fuse" in the back of the head with stinky fish.

2. There's obviously a short in the system somewhere that's causing the fuse to blow. They need to troubleshoot and find the short. It's probably the horn itself, but that doesn't explain the service light.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I hope and pray that your short is not in the horn switch. If it is, they have to replace the airbag module as the horn switch is part of it. $700. I had mine done a few months ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
aat1982

2003 VUE 3.0L

Just got a call from the service rep at saturn. There telling me I need a new airbags.Thats why the fuse to my horn keeps blowing. $700 as the previous poster said. I'm going to find a small dark corner and cry. Excuse me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aat1982 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Just got a call from the service rep at saturn. There telling me I need a new airbags.Thats why the fuse to my horn keeps blowing. $700 as the previous poster said. I'm going to find a small dark corner and cry. Excuse me
That's poor design...the designer should be smacked upside with the fish.....I feel for you. $700 for a faulty switch....!!! I would use that crying to your advantage at the dealership, and try to get a serious discount in the repair bill....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

If an aig bag horn switched shorted the only thing it would do is sound the horn. Is your horn going off on its own? Have you had to replace an overheated horn? If not the airbag is not the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
harsha
Advanced Member
harsha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I feel if it's not a PROBLEM to have that fuse blowing out... I would just stick with no horn(ofcourse, I dont use it at all) and would not replace whatever dealership is telling. One thing to consider(judge) is the RISK factor. If the air bags still work good, then you can think about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harsha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harsha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

My horn fuse kept blowing, then my horn just totally stopped working. Seems the factory horn in my 2003 just bit the bullet. Replaced the horn itself and have had no new problems.

Might try doing this first ($15 fix) before plunking down that sort of cash....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatabbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I should pint out aat1982 that a poster posted a how-to to replacing the horn switch without paying 700 quid...it's in the threads somehwere...
But, I would take fatabbot's idea and check the actual horn first....
Geesh, one more thing to worry about...I have an air horn tapped into my OEM horn...although, I am using a relay, I worry the extra juice will cause it to fail, prematurely...better be before the warranty expires....!!

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
harsha
Advanced Member
harsha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
I have an air horn tapped into my OEM horn...although, I am using a relay, I worry the extra juice will cause it to fail, prematurely...better be before the warranty expires....!!
I feel it wont harm your factory horns(somebody correct me if I'm wrong) they might just draw more power from the battery and put strain on the alternator. just my .02 thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harsha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harsha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
aat1982

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks guys for your input. When I spoke to the saturn rep, he stated the air bag module wasnt working anymore, causing the fuse for the horn to blow out. I'm no car expert but from what I understand,the air bags and the horn are tied into one another. Anyway, the rep gave me a discount on the repair, so I wont be paying $700. Thank god. But even after the discount it's still a little costly. Either way I need my horn. In New York City, driving without one would be crazy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!