SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
HHx66
HHx66 is on a distinguished road

Default 1993 Saturn SC2 Ignition 2 30A blowing?

I have a 1993 Saturn SC2, the 30A Ignition 2 fuse under the hood blew once about a year ago, I replaced it, no problem for a year (this was most likely an OEM fuse in it, so I didn't think much about it) after that about a week ago it blew again, I replaced it, all was well, I was planning on taking it to a more mechanically inclined friend/mechanic that I know to look it over but didn't really get a chance to, tonight I was stopped at a stop sign the car instantly cut off, would not start, checked over a few things and went to fuses, found it blown, dropped in a replacement I had on hand, car started for a second and blew instantly, tried 2 more and still had the same issue, at that point I left it where it was at a friends house and got a ride home, but now I am trying to figure out what could be causing this? Aside from this issue the car is fine, running fine, no issues. I just replaced the starter on it about 4-5 months ago as well as the battery, and didn't have any issues since until tonight.

I didn't have a chance to check over any other fuses as it was late, didn't have much for lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HHx66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HHx66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HHx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 1993 Saturn SC2 Ignition 2 30A blowing?

A short in the wiring to the ICM or a short in the ICM would be my guess. Disconnect the two connectors at the ICM and see if a new fuse blows. If not, then re-connect the harness and see if the fuse does blow. If it does, then the ICM is probably bad. If it doesn't, then maybe you just "fixed" a short in the wiring by moving it in the disconnect/re-connect process; indicating a good visual check of the wiring harness is due.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is no 30A maxifuse in a 93 marked as IGN 2. Check the nomenclature carefully as IGN-2 is not listed in the FSM as a 30A maxifuse located in the UHJB(engine fuse box). There is no0 IGN-2 fuse in either fuse box of any size or rating.
By any chance are you stating the physical location from top to bottom position in the UHJB?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
HHx66
HHx66 is on a distinguished road

It's marked in the under the hood fuse compartment as IGN 2 4th fuse down,30A not sure what else. Haven't had a chance to check it yet today as i am at work, but plan on going to it today with a mechanic friend of mine when I get out of work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HHx66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HHx66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HHx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The Factory Service Manual begs to differ as well as the 91-94 data book. According to what I have here in front of me that is the IGN-4 maxifuse. This fuse feeds the following minifuses: IGN-1, TURN, B/U LP, EGR, DIS, PCM I, INJ, Radio, Wiper, AirBag.

The most likely point of the problem will be the multifunction switch associated with power to the wipers as the other continuous loads along with a ground on the wiper will open the 30A fuse in most cases. It could also be a failing ignition switch, not the key lock but the actual switch.

Manuals have been known to have random errors but if it is the 4th one down then it is IGN-4 based on the drawings and opening of that fuse promptly shuts the car off.

The 92-93 cars have identical wiring and the 91 and 94 are slightly different so using the correct drawings is critical to locating this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote