SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
bigredcar
bigredcar is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Crazy problem. wont start unless above 60F

hello. have been on this forum for years but just registered.

saturn ion 2.2 L ecotec 2004 manual.

the issue: can't post youtube link aparently. will post in comments

wont start unless its above 60 degrees outside.

it starts all summer but in fall it does not start. unless:

> its sunny then i can get it to start if i open the hood and the sun shines on the engine for 5 minutes.

i live in portland oregon so no more sun until spring.

i have been dealing with this for 2 years. in that time i have replaced:
ignition switch. starter. battery.
i am doing all of these repairs myself.

when it does not start in cold i get a p0606 code, which goes away in the summer.

I know it is not the passlock issue. as i have already fixed that. in all my research i have never heard of an engine sounding like mine when it tries to start. kind of like half cranking or something.

please help if you can, i have no idea what to do next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigredcar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigredcar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigredcar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
bigredcar

Default Re: Crazy problem. wont start unless above 60F

ok i guess i can't even post the video in the comments. that sucks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigredcar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A few years ago spammers began infiltrating Saturnfans with Charlie the admin adding tweaks. One was restricting new members from posting links until 15 are made. You can always type the address here as text instead of a quick link address. The same for any other address until your minimum posts are exceeded to demonstrate you're going to around for awhile.

P0606 is about the engine computer. This diagnostic applies to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the engine control module (ECM). This diagnostic also addresses if the ECM is not programmed. More below.

Car info? Mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced, mods?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (53.9 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
bigredcar

Tanks for the reply.

milage: 140K
Parts replaced: battery, starter, ignition switch
Maintenance: changed coolant and oil.
no mods

I still cant post with text link, sorry :/
if you search youtube for "Saturn ion weird starting issue in cold." it should be the first video showing the engine bay area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's the date when posting your video? Or type the complete http address manually so anyone can copy and have google/bing/whatever search engine find it and go to the youtube video.

Were spark plugs ever replaced? At what mileage intervals? Ever check fuel pressure (borrowed Autozone f/p gauge?)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #6
bigredcar

I keep trying to type it in, just keeps flagging it.

I have TRIED replacing the sp but i might have done something wrong and it wouldn't start, so had to put the old ones back in, so those have probably been in there since 2010 haha.

The only way i have tested the pressure was just opening the valve and pressing on it with a paper towel, a strong spray came out.

As a work around to all of this i have thought of installing some kind of block heater, which would just kind of go around the true issue.

Or an easier idea i had was to just put a heat lamp up to the engine for an hour or so every time i wanted to drive it, will update if this works haha.

thanks for the replies! and sorry for the delays, got busy with work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is this the video? https://youtu.be/ZdOW2OuK-AM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!