SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #41
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Antifreeze is leaking! Repair Summary

Symptom: Raining coolant underneath the rear engine bay and inside at Firewall soaked foam padding protecting heater core pipes.

Identified Leak Location: As viewed from under driver's feet beneath the vehicle looking up at heater core quick disconnect connectors, the passenger side was leaking one drop every 11 seconds resulting in half the expansion tank emptying every 12 hours.

Diagnosis: Passenger side quick disconnect connector missing release plastic parts and was substantially leaking constantly. This was a persistent issue and likely had been slowly leaking for years but the drops were normally vaporized by falling on to the hot exhaust directly below it's location.

Solution: Quick disconnect mechanism was IN-OP and connector was cut diagonally using 1/2 of a handheld hacksaw blade. Without the quick disconnect mechanism intact, this connector is very difficult to remove. Be careful to not damage the heater core pipe or the heater hose. The hose can be reused with a standard 1" hose clamp. All actions require are left handed mechanics accessing from atop the engine bay. You will notice when the plastic is cut through and stop before slicing the hose. It will require 3 or 4 diagonally cuts along the length of the quick connector and use a screw driver to pry the plastic apart until it all crumbles off. Once the plastic is removed, use a dremel to cut one pass underneath the heater core pipe on the remaining while plastic collar. After the plastic dremel cut you may need to gently sliced the soft metal which is the last layer of the quick connector.

Important Notes: Finding this leak was most difficult because it appeared to be inside the passenger side at the firewall. However, the coolant was likely entering via the quick disconnect connector failing while under pressure spraying coolant into and through the firewall. Underneath the heater core was completely dry. A lot of coolant was found inside at the firewall.

If your Saturn is requiring coolant every once in a while, lift the car and get underneath to view the firewall side of the quick disconnect connectors for leaks. The heater hoses remain dry and if inspected from the top you will not see a leak, even if it is large. The exhaust vaporizes the drops and you might smell coolant every now and then, but you may not ever see the leak on the ground beneath the vehicle.

Don't immediately assume you have a blown head gasket losing coolant because these quick connector can be dripping coolant constantly and you may never notice a drop on the ground for it is vaporizing on the exhaust.

Left Handed Access - Heater Core Pipe unconnected.
LeftHandAccessOnly.jpg
Left Handed Access
LeftHandAccessOnly2.jpg
Expansion Tank was Half Empty with Cover tightly. Only 1 1/2 Quarts leaked out with only the passenger side heater hose disconnected. Front of vehicle was jacked up to capture coolant with a large container.
QuartAndAHalf.jpg
What's left of the So-Called Quick Disconnect Connector after removal
QuickDisconnectMyButt.jpg
Finished reattached existing unharmed hose with standard hose clamps
ReusedHoseWithClamp.jpg

Thank SaturnFans members for all your help and recommendations!
Rj

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Antifreeze is leaking!!! Help

Great news, I have had a Ford truck spray coolant into the cab from a bad quick connect also.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #43
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

hi Saturn sages- interesting problem leak. on my 4cyl 01 Saturn L100 years ago I noticed the passenger front carpet was soaked with antifreeze. originally thought the heater core was in the firewall. Haynes manual depicted It in the console near the front passengers left foot . took the panel off , saw it and it wasn't leaking itself but the connector to it was. removed the clampand separated the pipes. noticed the o ring was shot to hades. they do wear out. checked at hardware stores and couldn't find the size. checked the price at Saturn agency and suffered severe stick shock from the shysters there. whined and sniveled here on this forum and a kind and generous party mailed me a few from his stash. installed one and the job was over. saved a ton of lettuce. like it when the po guys beat the mofos at the clip joints. still no leaks. regards bob f just my $.02

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #44
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Bob,

Can I be as diplomatic as possible on this and ask that you try and refrain from using the words 'shysters' and other derogatory terms for the auto trade. WE are ALL guilty of not being complimentary about some of our experiences with the auto trade, but many who work or derive their income from doing said work are honest, hard working and professional. Indeed there are members and ex-members of the auto trade on this forum, who may or may not be well pleased by being regarded as a 'shyster' by another member. All that happens is you lose on the help you are asking for.

That said I would always suggest that anyone who has had a bad or good experience related to their Saturn and which could be of benefit to other members mentions those organizations.

I have had recent cause to use Starling Chevrolet in Orlando for assistance getting a key code for my son's S series and all I got was indifference and the run around. By contrast, my indi garage I use for repairs I use is an absolute pearl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #45
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Off topic, but definitely necessary. It was this place East Appleton Matthews Tire which exploited my pocket book behind it's limits while performing miserably! I believe they had a disgruntled employee or employees. For years, I trusted them and respected them. Spent thousands with them at multiple locations. However, when they soaked me $750 to change a broken serpentine belt (water pump and harmonic balancer which they said was destroyed when the belt broke), three month later another belt broke. Engine light went ON 10 minutes after I picked it up after the repair and paid them another $700. That was when looked under the hood myself and found a harmonic balancer literally sitting on the steering linkages left free bouncing around and it definitely took out the 2nd belt and ready to take out the 3rd! I brought it back, walked the manager outside and pointed down inside the engine compartment and said, "What do you see?" He spoke no words and I asked for another new belt. Whatever they screwed up was fixed and that was the last time I used a garage other than my own! In some ways, it brought be back to mechanics work which I enjoyed when I was in high school.

The problem with large garages are... they have big bills, payroll, insurance and everything else that requires them to charge big bucks. It is the nature of the beast. It is very hard work and work these people do. However, their first priority is to make enough money to survive while keeping as many customers as possible. I liken this business to that of the medical professional. None of which understand nutrition and health. All they do is prescribe meds to cover underlying problems. This world is full of shysters that doesn't make them bad people. Money is the core of the evil.

Having said that... this forum is awesome! Being able to exchange ideas and experiences is great to keep our Saturn's running strong. We use to see Saturn's everywhere up here in Wisconsin... not any more. It seems ours is one of the lucky ones because I will go deep to keep it running! Thanks to all your guys!
Rj

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #46
rfisher

hi floridas122- appreciate you being as diplomatic as possible but I would like to clarify a bit. I don't believe and don't think I ever said most of those in the auto trade(specifically mechanical repair places) are shysters. i think many are and many are not. i have worked on cars as a shadetree mechanic since i was 17 in 65. before that i was often around my father and his cars. he was not a mechanic. i was often with him when he took his cars to indie shops, dealer service departments and large chain stores. i saw many examples in those 50 years of him being overcharged, cheated,nickle and dimed and taken advantage of. i was annoyed by this and vowed to the extent i was able that that stuff was not going to happen to me. i read many books and manuals about car repairs, joined car clubs and hung around with other shade trees who had similar interests. i appreciate what you said about the nature of running a car repair business. it is tough. i have owned 4 businesses over the years and know what youre talking about. however those concerns do not justify the things i have seen. also i have cultivated relationships with good, competent and honest mechanics. i always try to have a 2d mechanic like this who i can go to if the 1st retires or who otherwise goes out of business. i wouldn't call it easy either to find these. i believe most on this forum know exactly what im talking about. perhaps my terminology is too harsh and i will try to trim it. what term would you suggest or prefer? thanks bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #47
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hi Bob,

I was simply trying to highlight this that I had noticed within your posts that's all. I am not a Moderator, just another member just like you nor am Involved in the auto trade whatsoever. You can use whatever phrases you want, it's your choice, but just be mindful of the fact the some members may take offense to words that are used in posts.

The definition of a Shyster is a person who uses fraudulent, unscrupulous and deceptive methods in business. That definition may apply to some in the auto trade but not all. I don;t like Realtors, but if used the phrase shyster realtors all the time when remarking about Realtors, someone, somewhere will get pissed if they not a shyster. That's all I was trying to point out. A few years ago on a Chrysler forum, in my naivety I made some negative remark about Attorneys. Guess what one of the members was and he didn't take too kindly to my words. So it can you out. Been, there, done and have the tee shirt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #48
rfisher

hi floridas- that's a good definition. would agree with it. don't think the majority are like that but have dealt with many who are. it certainly isn't a rare occurrence. will keep in mind your recommendations. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!