SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: steering wheel hub adapter

Are you trying for a straight replacement, or are you trying to adapt a different steering wheel to your car?

96-99 S-series steering wheels should be a straight swap. I think 95 works also but not 100% sure. Body style (sedan, coupe, wagon) all used the same steering wheel.

All my S series have leather wheels now

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #22
BustRucket
BustRucket is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I was looking to adapt to a completely different wheel I know that other saturn wheels are compatible but my issue is the problem is I can't find a proper adapter and most peoples listings seem to be wrong because they show the spline type steering rod connection rather than the DD type that is actually in the car. In my eyes there wouldn't be too much of a point getting a oem replacement because my airbag plug is melted and honestly I don't have much faith in a safety system that's about 20 years old, no longer manufactured, and that went off for no reason in the first place.

Some guy who Bought a $1 saturn and spent $3000 on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BustRucket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BustRucket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BustRucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #23
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustRucket View Post
my issue is the problem is I can't find a proper adapter and most peoples listings seem to be wrong because they show the spline type steering rod connection rather than the DD type that is actually in the car.
Those spline-type are probably meant for first-gen cars ('91-94, maybe 95?). I never owned/ worked on one, so not sure.

Maybe swapping in parts of the steering column from a first gen might be a solution? Again, I have never worked on any first gens, so this is just speculation. Might not fit or be possible.

There was a little aftermarket support in the early years of Saturn S series but after a few years, that started fading. Support is mostly gone these days, as the newest S series is over a decade and a half old.

You could also follow instructions here and see if the Saturn fits a GM standard size (see attachment pic):
https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/how-to...x-spline-size/

Could be that you could use a generic adapter or one meant for another car, based on the size.
Quote:
]In my eyes there wouldn't be too much of a point getting a oem replacement because my airbag plug is melted and honestly I don't have much faith in a safety system that's about 20 years old, no longer manufactured, and that went off for no reason in the first place.
Since it's not a Takata, my guess is you had a short, broken wire, clock spring, etc., that caused it. This is the first time in about a decade that I've heard of a random airbag fire in the S series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spline sizing GM Capture.JPG (51.7 KB, 5 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #24
BustRucket

1997 SL1

I'm sure you're right that may be possible and I can definitely tell there wasn't/isnt too many aftermarket parts but they are out there, just nothing that will majorly increase your performance unless you go all out and get the engine overbored and or sleeved or if you go from sohc to dohc but even then its not that much of a boost, from what I can tell people who have performance saturn's have put quite a bit of custom fabrication to make things work...im getting off topic but I'm going to try my initial thought im still waiting on the part to show up, i'll let you know how it goes.

I'm actually a bit relieved to find out that airbag malfunctions don't happen all that often so if I ever decide the custom wheel was dumb or if I blatantly have no luck in my adaption ventures I may just wire up a new pug and see if I can find a refurbished bag.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BustRucket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #25
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

I rarely do things for look and feel alone, but I'm now looking at putting a proper old school wood/chrome or similar steering wheel in place. Like OP, I have little faith in air bags, and have had friends get hurt from their deployment. I disabled air bags in an Astro van and was able to survive three separate deer hits and keep going after each of them. After fixing the cosmetics the thing still runs. I've had better luck with Saturns and only hit two deer, with no airbag impact. I want the airbags gone, and really don't like the look and feel of an airbag wheel at all.

I'm thinking of buying an adapter or if necessary making one out of the center part of a standard S-series wheel. Has anyone cut, jigged, and welded this to a plate with appropriate holes for typical aftermarket wheel?

The next thing would be to deal with the excess controls around the column. I want to keep the cruise control functions, but there's no reason for them to rotate with the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S-forever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S-forever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #26
BustRucket

1997 SL1

I have returned the adapters I found all didnt work so I wound up taking a machining class and made up my own to work with one of the 6 bolt adapters
I'll link some photos
20191010_193921.jpg

20191010_193932.jpg

20191010_213319.jpg

20191010_193938.jpg

I almost drilled a couple holes for my cruise control but I dropped it and the old plastic broke apart so I gave up on that idea but its definitely possible but I do recommend if anyone makes one to make a clock spring gap your turn signals and horn wont work properly without it unless you personally modify the wiring same deal with the cruise control it has to rotate with the clock spring because the wire come out of it but again if you modified the wiring it could work

Last edited by BustRucket; 10-11-2019 at 04:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #27
BustRucket

1997 SL1

on another note I took a bunch of measurements for this so if anyone else cares to go the same route I did I can post the measurements and tool sizes used upon request

REWARD EXCELLENCE!