SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
nemisision
nemisision is on a distinguished road

Question QC Steering vs Sedan Steering

Has anyone compared the ease of the steering on the Ion Quad Coupe and the Sedan? I had to bring my car and and they kept it for a few days. They gave me a sedan as a rental. While I was driving in I noticed it was effortless to turn the wheel, as if it had a different type of steering. It was nice. I am curious to know what Saturn did different for the Sedan steering. Does anyone know?

Silver 2008 Saturn Astra XR
3-Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nemisision's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nemisision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nemisision is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: QC Steering vs Sedan Steering

The steering has changed over the years, and on trim levels.

However, the same year sedan and coupe will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemisision View Post

Has anyone compared the ease of the steering on the Ion Quad Coupe and the Sedan? I had to bring my car and and they kept it for a few days. They gave me a sedan as a rental. While I was driving in I noticed it was effortless to turn the wheel, as if it had a different type of steering. It was nice. I am curious to know what Saturn did different for the Sedan steering. Does anyone know?

Last edited by saturncanuck; 12-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: missspelled

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
nemisision

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturncanuck View Post
The steering has changed over the years, and on trim levels.

However, the same year sedan and coupe will be the same.

That makes sense. I have an 04, and at the time that I got the rental it was an 05 or 06 if I can remember.

3-Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nemisision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
06Laser
06Laser is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I can see how that may make a difference from model year to model year but my friend and I both have 2006 Ions Level III's, exact same options including the performance package for engine and suspension, both have 10,000 miles on them, his is a Sedan and mine is the QC.

His Sedan steers MUCH easier and actually handles better (less roll and seems to have a quicker/sharper response). We've both driven both and the difference is quite noticeable. We attribute the difference to possible layout difference (there really isn't much the same between the two body panel wise) and perhaps the QC is heavier or longer therefore the steering is programed for its attributes.

We never really researched any further because both cars run and drive perfect. It was just something we noticed. Oh yea, his is Storm Grey and mine is Laser Blue...that's probably the difference! LOL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06Laser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06Laser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
nemisision

Question Re: QC Steering vs Sedan Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Laser View Post
I can see how that may make a difference from model year to model year but my friend and I both have 2006 Ions Level III's, exact same options including the performance package for engine and suspension, both have 10,000 miles on them, his is a Sedan and mine is the QC.

His Sedan steers MUCH easier and actually handles better (less roll and seems to have a quicker/sharper response). We've both driven both and the difference is quite noticeable. We attribute the difference to possible layout difference (there really isn't much the same between the two body panel wise) and perhaps the QC is heavier or longer therefore the steering is programed for its attributes.

We never really researched any further because both cars run and drive perfect. It was just something we noticed. Oh yea, his is Storm Grey and mine is Laser Blue...that's probably the difference! LOL!!

HA Ha that is cool, I am glad I am not the only one that noticed it. I did like the Sedan Ion's steering, it was nice and effortless like cutting melted butter,
ha. On the other hand, are the Quad Coupes longer? You and your friend line up side by side and find out. They seemed to have done something different to both.

I am wondering if they made the steering easier and less roll for a saftey hazard. When most people by a Sedan (no offense to your friend) they get them because they may have children. So they could have added these special features to the Sedans to make it safer for kids that possibly ride in the car? That is my only guess.

3-Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
06Laser
06Laser is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Good questions - I haven't noticed any difference in length when parked side by side so I compared the two online at Saturn.com. The coupe is .5 inch longer, .7 inch wider, 1.4 inch shorter, 25 lb heavier, but both have the same wheelbase. Those #'s wouldn't make the steering any different I wouldn't think.

But it is like driving completely different vehicles. Basically when driving my Ion it feels heavy like a bigger sedan would (i.e. Monte Carlo, Impala, etc). His feels like a nimble Honda or Mazda.

His reason for buying the sedan was pretty simple, he had taken in his 2001 Coupe (SC something or another) for the third time for a stalling condition that they couldn't figure out. They lent him this Sedan and he called them from the office and told them to keep the Coupe, he would be back to buy the Sedan he was driving. He says that the 2001 Coupe drove identical to my Ion Coupe - heavy with vague steering. Interesting. He wanted light and nimble this time (his 4th Saturn).

My reason for buying the Coupe is I liked his Saturn a lot but wanted something sporty. Walla! I bought mine on the spot, no test drive or anything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06Laser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06Laser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
nemisision

I agree with you about the Sedan being nimble. I had a rental Sedan for about a weekend while they fixed the quad coupe. I just noticed that it was easier to steer, which I liked. I previously had a 2000 Honda Civic. I am sure glad I into an Ion QC 5-speed. And yeah I also like 2 door cars, 4 doors don't have that sport look to them.

3-Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
Farm_John
Farm_John is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I"m not sure where y'all are going with this, but honestly, about the only thing that I don't like about my Ion ('07 sedan...II) is the too freakin quick turn in with ZERO feedback at the wheel.

It's downright twitchy. Moreso than any front wheel drive vehicle that I've ever driven.

Coupe drivers consider yourselves lucky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Farm_John's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Farm_John reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Farm_John is offline   Reply With Quote