SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
zulaya
zulaya is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3
2000 SL2
Default 2000 SL2... random rough starting problem

Good Morning--

I posted in the general forum, then realized there's a tech forum as well.

My husband drives a 2000 SL2. It has around 70,000 miles. Regular maintenance has been performed.

This week, the car has had to turn over a lot longer before it catches and the engine actually starts IF it sits for 4 hours OR LESS. If it sits overnight in the garage, in the parking lot at work, not a problem...starts right up.

He changed the spark plugs, thinking that was the issue, but it is still happening.

He talked to the Saturn guys at the dealership, and they of course just want him to bring it in.

Anyone experienced this before? If so, is it a fix you can do on your own?

Thanks for any input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zulaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zulaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL2... random rough starting problem

I'm thinking that you're having a hard time starting it when it's warm. That can be caused by the ECTS. If you've never replaced it, you will. So, even if it's not the problem now, it will be. In fact, I replaced it on my 2000 when I bought the car just because I didn't want to deal with it later. The parts about $15 from the dealer if the connector's green replace it too (about $30). The new one will be all brass. The old one has a plastic tip that cracks. Instructions can be found in the How-To Library.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
zulaya

2005 RELAY-3
2000 SL2

So I can just call up the dealer, say I want to buy the part, and they'll just sell it to me straight up without want to install it themselves?

Any other sources to buy this part, or is it best to get it from Saturn direct?

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zulaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
atilla
atilla is on a distinguished road

I just bought one yesterday, I called a couple of places, partsource($20) and another place was about the same and the dealership was actually cheaper and they will just sell it to you straight up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
zulaya

2005 RELAY-3
2000 SL2

Thank you again. I called my husband and he's getting on the phone with Saturn now to buy that part and pick it up on the way home.

Barnowl...since you have done this before, how difficult a replacement was it? I read the post in the How To Library. It didn't sound terribly complicated, but possibly a little time consuming, but I'd like your thoughts, and the thoughts of others who have done this job, specifically on this model.

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

A thought from someone who screwed it up once (me): go EASY tightening it. It's not exactly easy to overtighten it and break it off, but it's not exactly hard, either. If you don't have an INCH-pound torque wrench, just use a pretty small-handled wrench, so you don't give yourself too much leverage. When you feel it "seat", don't go any further.

Doesn't matter which model, BTW; this sensor was in the same spot throughout the life of all models of the S-car.

Other key points (probably redundant with the How To post):
* Make sure the engine is COLD. Coolant loss will be minimal/negligible then.
* Inspect the connector carefully when you remove it. Sometimes when the sensor fails, coolant reaches the connector and spoils it as well. If it looks a little green in there, you MIGHT be able to save it by cleaning the terminals. If you have to replace it, it's more expensive than the sensor, ironically. You can visit a junkyard and cut off the connector to the Intake Air Temp sensor (front inlet to the air box); since it's an identical sensor, the connector will fit (and won't be spoiled).
* The connector goes in only two positions (180 degress apart from one another). When you put it on, if it doesn't snap in all the way, rotate it while gently pushing in; you'll know when it hits the right position, and it'll slide right in.

Oh, and you can be assured, the dealership parts counter isn't an exclusive club. They sell parts to DIYers like us (and you, soon!) all the time.

Welcome; now go get your hands dirty!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Actually, I believe car dealers are legally required to sell parts to people. You can get the sensor aftermarket if you like. Just make sure it's all brass. Some of the plastic tipped ones are still out there. You won't be able to get the connector at a parts store, if you need it. For that, you'll need to go to the dealer. Make sure you have a 13mm deep well socket. As long as you don't do something like break it off, you'll have the job done in under 20 mins. This is a very simple repair.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote