SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #101
peppermrj
Advanced Member
peppermrj is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default Re: Cleaning the Combustion Camber Using Water?

Has anyone heard of using this procedure with transmission fluid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peppermrj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peppermrj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #102
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

no, but I can't imagine why you would want to pour oil into your intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #103
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermrj
In the bad old days of carberators, people would do it to clean their valves. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in years.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #104
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermrj
i have heard of people using a mixture of ATF and water(mostly water), but in which case, the ATF is used more for a lubracent then a cleaner. i think i will stick with water, and in real bad cases, GM Top engine cleaner

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #105
tgparker
tgparker is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Dizzy Re: Cleaning the Combustion Camber Using Water?

This sounds like a really simple good idea. It's low tech and back-yard mechanic which I like.

I'm a total newbie so I need like really idiot simple dummy instructions.

Intake tube on the throttle. Which intake tube and where is it located, and how do I indentify it. What parts do I take off first to access the trottle body and this tube?

Are there any good pics of this procedure anywhere that I can look at please?

Also what lever do I pull, push, to keep the engine idling at 2000 rpm while I'm puring water down the intake tube?

Thanking you in advance,

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tgparker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tgparker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #106
tgparker

1997 SW1

Great idea! I'm a newbie and I have no idea what "the vacuum line from your brake booster", where it is located or what parts I might have to remove to get to it. Do you have any idiot simple instructions with even some pic to illustrate where I can even find this part. I tried locating what your talking about in both Chilton and Haynes and they were next to useless. Is there any on-line source where I might some kind of diagrams that might help?

Thanking you in advance,

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
Harry,
A product called "SeaFoam" has the same effect, only greater cleaning power, and it's safer than water. I'd try it, it helped my friend pass smog.
It's easy to use, you just pull the vacuum line from your brake booster and stick it in the can and then start the car. It'll either suck the bottle dry and keep running, or the car will stall. If it sucks the can dry and keeps running, turn it off and let it sit for about 45 minutes. (If the car stalls, start it up again, until it sucks out all the seafoam.) After the 45 minutes, start the car. (you may have to keep the car running with a little throttle.)
Warning: The car is gonna smoke like CRAZY!! This is the crud burning off, this is good. I just did to my cousin's car and I plan to do it to my SC2. You MIIIIGHT have to buy new spark plugs after using SeaFoam, because SOMETIMES it fouls them...But it's really good to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tgparker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #107
sierrap615
Master Member

the "tube" is the air induction tube, the big 2.5-3" wide black from the air filter box to the throttle body. remove the tube to access to throttle body(screw driver req.)

you manually control the throttle by rotating the semi-circle plate on the throttle body connecting the throttle cable.

DO NOT USE THE BRAKE BOOSTER HOSE!!!! its to large and will flow to much, ether manually pour the water/cleaner in via the throttle body or use the small vacuum line for the fuel pressure regular(91-97 saturns only)

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #108
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

unless, of course, you have a newer saturn with the electronically controlled throttle body.... then it take two ppl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #109
tgparker

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrap615
small vacuum line for the fuel pressure regular(91-97 saturns only)
Thank you so much for the info BTW where is the "small vacum line fuel pressure regular" what does it look like and how can I identify it please?

Thanks in advance...

Remember I'm a total newbie...

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #110
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Idea Re: Cleaning the Combustion Camber Using Water?

It sounds like a picture with annotations and arrows would be perfect here!

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #111
sierrap615
Master Member

i would but the photo section is down right now

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #112
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Cleaning the combustion chamber with water is very important for a Saturn that burns oil. This is because the excessive carbon deposits sticking to the cylinder walls increase compression which increases the required octane. These same carbon deposits, by increasing the required octane, increase the likelyhood of engine knock and detonation.

Here's a quote from the Gasoline FAQ (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part3/):

"7.8 What is the effect of engine deposits?

A new engine may only require a fuel of 6-9 octane numbers lower than the
same engine after 25,000 km. This Octane Requirement Increase (ORI) is due to
the formation of a mixture of organic and inorganic deposits resulting from
both the fuel and the lubricant. They reach an equilibrium amount because
of flaking, however dramatic changes in driving styles can also result in
dramatic changes of the equilibrium position. When the engine starts to burn more oil, the octane requirement can increase again. ORIs up to 12 are not uncommon, depending on driving style [27,28,32,111]. The deposits produce
the ORI by several mechanisms:
- they reduce the combustion chamber volume, effectively increasing the
compression ratio.
- they also reduce thermal conductivity, thus increasing the combustion
chamber temperatures.
- they catalyse undesirable pre-flame reactions that produce end gases with low autoignition temperatures. "

Car has 2,000,000 mm and runs like new!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #113
tgparker

1997 SW1

Well I tried the "Water Cure" this week-end for my 1992 SL1 SOHC Manual Trans Sedan, I also did a MMO soak as well as the Sea Foam spritz treatment... I saw tons of smoke come out of the exhaust, and horrible greasy black gook dibble out of the exhaust down and onto the asphalt...

The car does now run smoother, quieter, but for some reason the mileage isn't as good as it used to be... I used to get 38 mpg, today I averaged 33 mpg on a 175 mile trip......

I think I failed to follow up a very important and an integral part of the process... You have to change the oil right away afterwards... I simply ran out of daylight and weekend, and it's also been raining ever since... Damn rain, I'd do it now in the dark if it wasn't raining....Grrrrrrrr.

I've now been working and driving my SL1 to work and she runs nice and quiet, and I've also noticed more power, etc...but I KNOW I have to change that oil or all that horrible sludge is going to end up right back on the cylinder walls and piston rings. I think you also have to clean the EGR, IAC, and TBI right afterwards...

Now that I know how to do it, I can do it again next weekend now that I'll be better organized and better set up.

I would also include as part of the procedure using a large Hypodermic .... or tukey baster to slowly dribble the water or Sea Foam or MMO down the PCV tube...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 AM   #114
mjo
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

You're right Tgparker, it's probably best to do this right before an oil change.

In case you haven't heard, a PCV Catch Can can help reduce carbon deposit formation in the combustion chamber.
The water decarbonization and emptying your catch can once in a while (every gas fillup) as well as regular maintenance will keep your car running smoothly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #115
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

OK, I want to do this to my Eclipse. I can't spray the water through the throttle body like I did on the Saturn because the Eclipse has a MAF sensor. Should I disconnect the PCV hose and spray into that?

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #116
mjo
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Hi 98greenSC2, here are my suggestions. You _could_ disconnect the PCV hose and slowly squirt water into the intake. However, as you probably know, there is vacuum in the intake. From my experience, the more deposits in the intake, the higher the vacuum. Because of the vacuum and the size of the hose, it's easy to pour too much into the intake. Thus, a better way would be to leave the PCV valve connected to the hose and just pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover. Now with the PCV valve still connected to the hose, you can tilt the valve up and then pour water into the end of the valve. There is flow restriction in the valve itself so you won't have to worry about pouring too much water into the PCV valve.

As aforementioned, you'll want hot distilled water for this process. Hot because you want all of the water to instantly turn into steam (melts in your mouth but not in your hands). Distilled because if there are minerals in the water they will form deposits in the engine. Have fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Closed Thread