SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #41
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally posted by auxmike
David,how did you introduce the water into the throttle body?
I took my IceMan air intake system off and slowly poured the water with my right hand while revving the engine with my left hand. Admittedly some of the water was not making it into the throttle body; it was going down onto the things below and then onto the ground. I'm telling you, the engine jumped around like it was freaking out on drugs or something!

Maybe I didn't use enough water...?
Quote:
Originally posted by thewretched
it again in a few weeks, just be ready to nudge that throttle a bit more
Well, it was a bit scary doing this and I probably won't try it again.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #42
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

Sounds like I won't be trying it either!
If this is such a great idea,why don't all the dealers offer it as a service.
Makes you wonder.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #43
splat
splat is on a distinguished road

Because they can sell you gas additives that they don't have to do anything about, except pour it in, and tell you come back on the next tank to "Make sure" the deposit's gone....they lose no time, and you think you're gettin' something great for your car...they walk out with 40 bucks and 3 minutes of work, as opposed to 40 bucks and less half an hour of work...I aimed a funnel in there, and just poured...got my SES light, just disconnected the batt, and i was off, driving again...it's called a a full fuel line flush or something...at the dealer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to splat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help splat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #44
auxmike

Splat,you aimed your funnel and just poured.Poured the water in,or a gas line cleaner?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 PM   #45
splat

water...some of those fuel line flush are flammable, and therefore it is ill-advised...water does exactly what those would do, except remove water from the fuel tank...i aimed the funnel inwards (big one, so i wasn't afraid of it getting sucked in), and just kinda poured it with one hand, other one controlling the throttle...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help splat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:30 PM   #46
auxmike

Does doing this mean some of the water can get fed back into the fuel line?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2004, 02:23 AM   #47
splat

no...all that water will be induced into your combustion chambers and changed to steam, clean some of the gunk out, and blow by and out the back...you don't have to worry about any of it going into your fuel lines...remember this wont clean your fuel injectors though...so you may want to run a bottle of techron through the vehicle too...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #48
thewretched
thewretched is on a distinguished road

yeah, what splat said. its pretty time consuming, and it would be a bigger hassle to take your car out back with a jug of water and sit over it pouring water in.

especially since, you know, if they're in a hurry and mess up, no more engine. that wouldn't be too good.

but I see where you're coming from David. it was a bit frightening. I don't know how often ill be doing it, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to do it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewretched's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewretched reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 PM   #49
swzine
Advanced Member
swzine is on a distinguished road

I kind of performed this procedure by accident!

I have a cold air intake in my car and was driving about 3 hours at around 80mph on the highway in very bad rain. My air filter is in a location where it gets hit with a lot of water. When I got to my destination the car stalled on me. It happened the second I got off the highway and into a gas station. When I'd crank it it produced a lot of white smoke and had some trouble starting. I just let it sit for a few minutes, thinking the engine was hot and maybe it would evaporate any water in there. I tried again a few minutes later and the car started up with no problems and never had a problem since.

At first I thought I had hydrolocked the engine. I knew I hadn't sucked up any standing water and the only water that could have made it into the engine were the small drips that the intake was able to vacuum up. I was still worried though.

From reading this post I now think that if I'm driving a long distance on highways in the rain it's smarter to rev the engine a little when I stop and let it turn any water into steam.

I have never met anyone with a CAI that had this condition, so it was probably a freak incident. It also does fine with normal city driving or even an hour/hour and a half of highway driving in the rain. Needless to say, I don't want it to happen again. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to solve it. There isn't any room under the hood of the L to route a Cold Air Intake anyone else. I'm leaning toward just disconnecting the CAI and using a filter on a short pipe under the hood if I'm ever driving long distance in the rain.

"God Bless America, and no Place Else!"
-Head of State movie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swzine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swzine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #50
cormor
cormor is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Now when you say denatured alcohol, is that like alcohol for wounds? Could you be more specific on this please? Ive noticed some problems and im probably gonna jump on this project tomarrow before work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cormor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cormor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #51
M.Nguyen
M.Nguyen is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1993 SL2

It's Ethyl alcohol. Sometimes found in windshield washer fluid.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/denatured_alcohol.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M.Nguyen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M.Nguyen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #52
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

this sounds like a good thing to do after cleanin the throttle body, if u do it on the car at least. get down all that crap u just cleaned.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #53
BuzzStPoint
BuzzStPoint is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sounds interesting..

I will tackle this tonight.. Now will this help with sticking piston rings? I have tried the Piston ring soak with MMO, and B-12 BarryMans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuzzStPoint's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuzzStPoint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #54
the_skin_eater

1999 SL1

i did this a lil while ago...didnt really get the efdfect everyone else did...i got a lil steam, sputterin quite a bit, nothin outa the tailpipe. i can see s slight difference in the engine smoothness tho, i will prolly do it again soon. one thing of advise, wear a glove or sumptin cause holdion the TB open and having that release air off the manifold kinda suks..;.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #55
the_skin_eater

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally posted by auxmike
Perhaps you should drain your oil and see if the water ended up in the crankcase.Don't think you should see steam coming out the valve cover!
You are a brave soul,I give you credit for trying this,I hope it's done no harm to the internals though...

and although this was to sumone else, it still pertains. my oil did seem a lil watery, so take heed ppl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #56
BuzzStPoint

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have a replacement tube that connects to the side of the valve cover. (DOHC) and while doing this the tub poped from the plug wire I proped it on and the steam got me right between the index and middle finger nuckle.. Hurts..

I had some good white and blue smoke comming out.. Nice round spot of carbon on the ground too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BuzzStPoint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:42 PM   #57
the_skin_eater

1999 SL1

did u keep the engine stutterin the whole time buzz?? or did u let it gurgle, get back normal, and do it again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #58
BuzzStPoint

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Stumble the whole time. I didn't let it go down then clear out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #59
the_skin_eater

1999 SL1

ahh, maybe thats were i went wrong, i let it stumble, then recover, then stumble and so on....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #60
BuzzStPoint

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Can you get a 2nd person?

I had my wife help me. she sat in the car and held the gas between 2000-2500 RPMS.

Once you get the water at a good rate and the 2nd person keep the throttle between that. you'll start to see the bugs flying around start to clear out from the smoke and steam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread