SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default How to pull the engine?

200s SC2 5-speed

I found a shop to rebuid my engine. They can do the whole thing if I want, pull, rebuild, reinstall. The pull and reinstall will cost $1,000 in labor.

I don't know exactly what is involved in the pull/install process.

I watched the Richpin video. It seems like there are a lot of little steps in specific orders.

I have access to an engine hoist. And I have skilled people who will probably help me if I need it. So I'm thinking it may be worth while to do it myself.

I should have no difficulty with bolting parts on and off with the engine out of the car and on a stand.

What are the big things I would have to do to pull/install the engine?

What the potential hang-ups I'm likely to face?

How much time should I expect to spend taking it out and putting it back in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: How to pull the engine?

You could get it out over a weekend if you are a first timer. We took longer but I made my 15 year old do all the work.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898

Page 4 we get serious about yanking it out. Page 12 we get serious about putting it back in.

Procedure:. Unhook everything and yank out. Then replace and rehook everything.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Apparently, after you've done it enough times, you can pull an engine in an hour or so

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154967

Of course, OP and Low Saturn aren't dealing with rust . . .

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Even not knowing what you're doing there's not much reason to take more than a day to pull it. I got to where I could do a full engine swap in about 7 hours, without power tools (air impact wouldn't fit on most bolts) and with a hoist that refused to move in the dirt with an engine hanging on it.

It's easier with both transmissions to pull as a unit rather than separating, but the manual transmissions have to come out with the engine (it's more work to keep it in the car). With the auto's you have to get a pretty crazy tilt/angle on it to pass the brake MC which is easy with a load leveler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
It's easier with both transmissions to pull as a unit rather than separating, but the manual transmissions have to come out with the engine (it's more work to keep it in the car). With the auto's you have to get a pretty crazy tilt/angle on it to pass the brake MC which is easy with a load leveler.
...or drop the cradle and struts onto a dolly. Then lift the body enough clear rolling the whole thing through a wheel arch. Easy access to everything then.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I guess it depends - if you want to take it out the top - or out the bottom.

I prefer out the bottom. Less crawling on the ground.

But - it requires a hoist - and is easier if you have a positioning rack. I built two racks.

Doing it out the bottom can be a pain if you are in the rust belt - as many of the bolts - especially the suvbframe to frame bolts. If the blind nut turns - it can be a problem.

Advantages - less knuckle busting and sore knees from mucking about on the ground.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
But - it requires a hoist - and is easier if you have a positioning rack. I built two racks.
Just your regular old engine lift. Put the sub frame on stands. Drop the bolts. Take the engine/ tranny weight up with the lift. Pull the stands and put a low dolly under the engine. Lower the whole thing down on the dolly. Hook the lift to the frame and lift up the front end just enough to slide the lot out through the wheel well. Set the front end down on stands.
Now you can service the entire assembly with plenty of room to see what you are doing and room to swing a wrench.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Those blind nut clips were designed to position the nut for robot assembly, they were not designed to be a disassembly holding fixture. Failure is to be expected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

out the top
about 5-7 hours - engine and manual trans - by myself, cherry picker with load a balancer, on concrete floor, indoors, no power tools.
pull the hood and store away.pull the throttle body, I needed just that much extra room to twist and maneuver the engine and trans out ( and back in). Do the usually stuff, drain fluids, mark and identify wire plugs and such. Hardest part is popping the axles out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
fjmg
fjmg will become famous soon enough

I did the first one out the top, now all out the bottom. I use a hoist but have just done one with engine crane like Claybury. Four subframe bolts, one steering pinch bolt, six top strut bolts, 2 drivers dogbone bolts and 3 top mount bolts with a couple 3/4" wood shims above and below lower pass. dogbone to keep engine vertical. I removed front bumper cover and lifted front of car up with crane and rested up on jackstands just behind cradle. Motor, trans, axles, knuckles, steering and struts all rolled out on a platform dolly.
If you have two cars side by side you can even leave exhaust and only disconnect behind cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fjmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fjmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

12/10 do not recommend messing with the cradle bolts in the rust belt without, at a minimum, hardened steel cutting tools (special sawzall blades & 4+inch cut-off wheels) and preferably a welder as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I vote out the top. Was pretty easy.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I have pulled at least a dozen (lost track) out the bottom.

I live in Michigan - big time rustbelt.

The Rules:

1. PB blaster is your friend. Use him. A lot. Have more than 1 can.

2. Time is also your friend. Use him. A lot.

3. Hurry is NOT your friend. Use him - and you will probably make 3 times as much work for yourself.

4. Leave all impact style equipment in it's case.
This includes the 44 magnum you will be tempted to employ if you should get a blind nut to spin. ONLY use a breaker bar - and work the bolt back and forth - while reapplying penetrant. Patience goes a long way.

I figure I have sucessfully removed 50 bolts without incident. 2 have spun. Of those two - I step drilled out one and used a side grinder on the second - by cutting the side of the frame - as the frame was scrap.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote