SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Speakers...

Looking to replace my stock front and rear speakers...

Any suggestions?

2002 SL2 with front and rear speakers...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
choc citysaturn
choc citysaturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: Speakers...

Do you still have the factory radio or aftermarket head unit. My Infinity Kappa 60.9cs are still holding strong in the front, and Diamond DES652 in the rear deck. Some people like to keep their speakers with the same company, not me I like mixing and matching. Some companies are better at making speakers some at amps others subs. I'm not gonna pay a thousand dollars for a pair of speakers I'm also not going to pay fifty for some pep boy specials. So you've got to find your happy medium.

My number one goal is to make my saturn better now than when I bought it in Dec of 1993. IMPORT FIGHTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to choc citysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help choc citysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
choc citysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

It might be best to go to an auto stereo store to LISTEN to the various speakers available - that is what I did in order to decide what to install.

I have 3-way Kenwood speakers with a single din Kenwood stereo which replaced my 2-way Alpine speakers and Alpine stereo installed back in 2005.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #4
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I've had great experiences with Kenwood, Apline, Kicker, JL Audio, CT Sounds, and Rockford Fosgate branded coaxial or component door speaks. Each has a line that won't break the bank and still sound great with a stock radio or an aftermarket deck. They're all going to have a higher power rating than the factory speakers, so an aftermarket radio is going to be able to take better advantage of that and make any of them sound better at higher volumes.

Speakers to Stay away from in my opinion; Scoshe (they make radio install kits, they're not great at making speakers...), Pioneer (they make GREAT radio head units, amps, and subs, but I've never had a coax speaker of there's that was worth a darn), Dual (typical Wal-Mart special, they don't make much that IS good, just cheap...), and Sony if you can still find them (their early Xplod series back in the day were okay, but nothing special).

Personally I'm partial to Rockford Fosgate speakers; speakers, subs, and amps. If they made radio head units I'd probably go with those too lol, but I'm a Pioneer radio fanboy. They do make a few motorcycle specific radios, and back in the day they partnered with some OEM's for factory radios, but they haven't played in that field too much recently.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I put 2-way Pioneer (TS-G1644R) speakers in the front about 5 years ago. They've held up good. I have the original radio and tape player. The speakers alone improved the sound quite a bit over the originals. I still have the original back speakers. I have a wagon so my rear speakers are in the tailgate. With a sedan, you'll have a larger enclosure behind the rear speakers and should get a better base sound than I do.

I'm old enough that I'm no longer able to hear some higher frequencies so there's not much reason to spend more money to get the higher frequency range.

You'll want to keep the polarity the same on all your speakers so you don't have any speakers 180 degrees out of phase with the others. If a speaker is 180 degrees out of phase it will be cancelling sounds from other speakers instead of adding and mixing with them.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote