SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
RCRV
RCRV is on a distinguished road

Default sl1 2002. What sensors to replace?

Just bought a 2002 sl1 with 125,000 miles on it. Everything seems to work as it should but as preventive maintenance I intend to replace all engine sensors. They are not that expensive and I can do it myself.

My question is what sensors are on this engine? Mass air flow, throttle position, O2, coolant temperature...... any others?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RCRV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RCRV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RCRV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: sl1 2002. What sensors to replace?

Here is my take on it. The OEM sensors are pretty awesome. The replacements, not always as good. Every AC Delco part I've recently bought has been from China. I would not replace them proactively, just look for the symptoms. With a 2002 I would expect you have a brass ECTS but I would check the connector for corrosion. The TPS will wear eventually, but this shows up as high or hokey idle and won't strand you. If it was me, I'd research the symptoms for various component failures for the sake of educating yourself, and replace only as needed.

Definitely replace all the fluids. Then you know their status!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
...If it was me, I'd research the symptoms for various component failures for the sake of educating yourself, and replace only as needed...
As proactive as I am with how my Saturn runs, I agree with Waiex191.

While your car is still running well, you could take the time to find some OEM parts, if possible, and keep them stored for when you really do need them.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
RCRV
RCRV is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your answers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RCRV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RCRV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RCRV is offline   Reply With Quote