SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default What are the little plastic doohickeys that hold the electrical connectors to the bra

I'm replacing my vapor canister purge solenoid because I have the starter off anyway and this job is about 500 times easier with the starter removed. And the part is cheap.

What are the little plastic doohickeys that hold the electrical connectors to the bracket called? And does anyone know where to get more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized_IMG_3451.jpg (95.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg resized_IMG_3452.jpg (88.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg resized_IMG_3453.JPG (184.9 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: What are the little plastic doohickeys that hold the electrical connectors to the

I believe they might be called rosebud clips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Re: What are the little plastic doohickeys that hold the electrical connectors to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
I believe they might be called rosebud clips.
Close but no cigar. Rosebud clips clip around the cable.

Found something similar called a Self Leveling Sensor Wire Clip

ACDelco 12084149

it might work, kind of pricey...

$7+ from Amazon, about $4 from Rockauto

Ordered one from Amazon. Will see if it fits. If not, return.

Last edited by TwoFistedJustic; 09-25-2019 at 07:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #4
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I figured out how to remove the old clips so that they are reusable!

I used Sil Glyde as a lubricant, then with bent nose pliers I pushed down on one corner of the topmost rib and slid it into the hole rotating the clip like a screw. I did that for each rib and got it out in one piece!

Still need that one I ordered though, to replace the one I broke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3454.jpg (103.6 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2019, 12:19 AM   #5
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I found the ACDelco Retainer (Part #12084149) at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for $5.49 if that helps.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
I'm replacing my vapor canister purge solenoid because I have the starter off anyway ....
I don't seem to recall that Saturn Evap Canister purge solenoids are failure prone from past forum posts, but I could be wrong. (Certainly they seem to have a better track record than Chrysler!) I do seem to recall some sporadic issues with Evap and the filler neck preventing normal refueling. You might want to keep the OEM part just in case the replacement item isn't as robust as the original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I don't seem to recall that Saturn Evap Canister purge solenoids are failure prone from past forum posts, but I could be wrong. (Certainly they seem to have a better track record than Chrysler!) I do seem to recall some sporadic issues with Evap and the filler neck preventing normal refueling. You might want to keep the OEM part just in case the replacement item isn't as robust as the original.
It didn't fail. Nothing wrong with the old one that I know of. But new ones are $20 from Standard. They are easier to replace with the starter out than in, so I preemptively replaced it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I had a stubborn P0440 code that wouldn't go away despite swapping the fuel cap a few times. Replacing the Evap canister purge solenoid finally cleared it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
I had a stubborn P0440 code that wouldn't go away despite swapping the fuel cap a few times. Replacing the Evap canister purge solenoid finally cleared it.
I had that same stubborn code on mySC2A. I replaced the solenoid only to discover that the vacuum tube running from the solenoid to the throttle body had pulled out of the throttle body, which it can do very easily just from normal engine vibration. Now when I see a P440 that little tube is the first thing I check, and it's usually the culprit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
Close but no cigar. Rosebud clips clip around the cable.

Found something similar called a Self Leveling Sensor Wire Clip

ACDelco 12084149

it might work, kind of pricey...

$7+ from Amazon, about $4 from Rockauto

Ordered one from Amazon. Will see if it fits. If not, return.
This replacement clip fits perfectly. And its easily removable

REWARD EXCELLENCE!