SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Masking Tape for handling HIR bulb for 9011 mod? Necessary?

I'm doing the 9011 9012 Bulb modification and was wondering if it's safe to mask off the bulb with blue painters tape while I cut away with a Dremel.

Anyone know if this will damage bulb?

Or, if you've done the conversion, is it easy enough just to shield it while wearing nitrile?

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Masking Tape for handling HIR bulb for 9011 mod? Necessary?

The adhesive may not come off completely and cook. If hir lamps heat up hot enough, the glass may shatter from adhesive. Consider cutting a new plastic glove and cut one of the fingers that'll fit over the lamp. A small rubber band to tie off the end. Keep finger oil from touching the glass envelope. Same precautions when handling halogen lamps. Dry air to blow of debris (canned air). Worse case scenario is using an alcohol wipe to clean and remove finger prints and dirt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keblar View Post
I'm doing the 9011 9012 Bulb modification and was wondering if it's safe to mask off the bulb with blue painters tape while I cut away with a Dremel.

Anyone know if this will damage bulb?

Or, if you've done the conversion, is it easy enough just to shield it while wearing nitrile?

Where are you buying the bulbs as most come precut now. Use the nitrile gloves, Just use clean ones right out of the box.
This is where I buy the bulbs. https://store.candlepower.com/hesowisu.html You can find the early ones at a lower price, but you can end up cutting.

If you are concerned about errant fingerprints you can wipe down the bulb with a real Kleenex when done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The adhesive may not come off completely and cook. If hir lamps heat up hot enough, the glass may shatter from adhesive. Consider cutting a new plastic glove and cut one of the fingers that'll fit over the lamp.
Cannibalize a glove. Damn, that's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Where are you buying the bulbs as most come precut now. Use the nitrile gloves, Just use clean ones right out of the box.
I wound up buying a whole round of bulbs for both vehicles from RA, and got a mix of brands to try out some side by side.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The site I linked has all the info on the various generations of those bulbs. I have yet to have one fail but I did rewire the entire drl logic so the high beams are no longer used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I have to say...using a dremal or any power tool for that matter, on this just sounds about as overkill and stupid as Honda's 200hp lawnmower.

2 snips per bulb with glorified scissors and you're done. Side-cutters...wire cutters...not your wife's clothing scissors. If they're not already in your tool box I'm not sure it qualifies as a tool box

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You cut the slits with a dremel and thn take the little flush cutter side cutter to the pa4t that needs to go and clip it out in chunks. May require a bit of cleanup but should not if you are careful. This entire exercise is why you do not buy old stock gen-1 bulbs as all the latest are drop in. The gen-2 early bulb require removing a very small amount off of 1 key to fit easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Maybe I live under a rock... what's this mod for?

EDIT

nevermind, I did a search lol

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

Last edited by 98_Gold_Uranus; 08-24-2019 at 01:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote