SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default SL2 2nd Gen Routing Cables to Upper dash for radio install?

Hello,

I doubt anyone has done this, but I want to put a double din stereo that has Android Auto near the upper dash, right above the middle air vents. I run a tablet above my single din stereo and often find myself looking downward for directions or radio changes, I would like to make the entire radio higher so I don't have to look so down.

Would it be possible to route the cables, once extended, to that point through the dash? I was thinking that the cable could be routed between the middle air vent and the gauge cluster, but I am not sure if there is space under the dash for it. I was going to head to the junkyard this weekend or next to see about removing the dash, but just wanted to gauge an idea from here. I can design a 3D printable case around the double din so that it looks factory. My goal is to place it where my tablet in the photo. I should make it clear that this won't block my field of view! The photo linked is how I view the windshield when sitting in the car, there is at least an inch gap between the top of the tablet and the windshield.

Thanks for any suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14143.jpg (111.0 KB, 27 views)

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: SL2 2nd Gen Routing Cables to Upper dash for radio install?

Take up the dash cover and drop the cable down to the radio, it's a straight shot to either side but the left is easier. Leave plenty of slack and then cut a proper penetration in that tray depression for the cable to connect to the screen. Mount with velcro so the screen can be easily removed and stowed in glove box or with you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:16 AM   #3
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Re: SL2 2nd Gen Routing Cables to Upper dash for radio install?

A little mockup I made in Fusion 360. Hopefully can make something a bit more pretty. I can't find information on the holes for the screws, it seems to me that different manufacturers use different mounting holes.

Anyhow, just an update to show that this is still a thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn_double_din.JPG (44.3 KB, 7 views)

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote