SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
Ryan L300
Ryan L300 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Excess Brake Dust - 2003 L300

I just discovered this site. Very informative. My car is a fully loaded 2003 L300.

Since I've had my L300, I've noticed that my front chrome wheels attract a lot of brake dust. In order to keep them clean, I have to wash my wheels 2-3 times a week. There is so much brake dust that I have to wash my wheels in the street to keep from staining my driveway.

Do I have inferior brake pads, or are chrome wheels a magnet for brake dust?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryan L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryan L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2003, 12:24 AM   #2
Dj_Xao
Advanced Member
Dj_Xao is on a distinguished road

nope all L's have that prob... the reason is, the Break pads are very tough and thats both ur brakes and rotors that are creating the dust.. Found this out from a Saturn Tech.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dj_Xao's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dj_Xao reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:10 AM   #3
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Dazed

My 2003 L200 also has a ton of brake dust on the front alloy wheels. I mentioned this to the Saturn sales consultant recently because he asked if there was anything I didn't like about the car. He said that this is because the brake pads are new and that the dust will go away when they are older. I was thinking, "Yeah, the brake dust will go away when the brake pads are due for a replacement!"

Anyway, my advice is to clean the wheels really good and then apply car wax to them so that they'll be easier to clean the next time.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
SilverNickelQC
Advanced Member
SilverNickelQC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That is a good idea i never thought of that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverNickelQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverNickelQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

The pads/rotors on these cars are designed such that they wear somewhat evenly with one another.

This setup makes for great braking, but lots of dust.

Also, the rotors will most likely need to be replaced with the brake pads ($$$$).

It's a German thing I believe (Remember our car is an incarnation of the Opel Vectra). Look at any BMW/Merc, their wheels will always be covered with thick black dust just a day after they were washed.

Saturn Motorsports has some perf. rotor/pads pads for our cars that promise less dust, but I'm not convinced yet that the dust is that much of a pain as I'm overall impressed with the L's stock brakes.

http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/sto...sp?prodtype=60

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to socketz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help socketz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:26 AM   #6
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Not just L, I see the same front-wheel blackening on IONs and VUEs too......

Either keep washing the wheels or switch to Ceramic pads in next replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Qlara
Not just L, I see the same front-wheel blackening on IONs and VUEs too......

Either keep washing the wheels or switch to Ceramic pads in next replacement.
My VUE has very little brake dust on the front wheels. The L is a different story. They get very dirty pretty fast. I see that many other vehicle have the same problem including the Mercedes SUV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
silverblueL200

You mean my wheels aren't Gray? I agree with Socketz, the pads might dust like nothing else, but they work pretty good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 07-03-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
sstar
sstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

My brother-in-law just bought a 2003 Jaguar X . He has the brake dust problem too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
dmccreary860
Advanced Member
dmccreary860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by socketz
Saturn Motorsports has some perf. rotor/pads pads for our cars that promise less dust, but I'm not convinced yet that the dust is that much of a pain as I'm overall impressed with the L's stock brakes.

http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/sto...sp?prodtype=60
Thanks for that info, I'll have to call them and ask whether or not those are the Powerslot brand. I had the Powerslots on my SL2 and those warped within 4000 miles - and the WERE properly broken in the 1st 2000 miles.

I've contemplated ordering the Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors (for Saab 9-5's). I'm curious whether those will fit, but I haven't heard too much feedback about those. I would prefer to go with Brembo because of the quality, but they don't make slotted or cross-drilled for us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmccreary860's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmccreary860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:07 PM   #11
SilverNickelQC
Advanced Member
SilverNickelQC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Brake Dust

Call it one of the perks. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverNickelQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverNickelQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:11 PM   #12
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

When it does come time to replace the brake pads, you will probably want to consider some non-OEM ones. In the mean time, you might try a product like this:

http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/45/234.htm?992

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:41 AM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Make sure you keep your schome clads clean, also. The brake dust can and will burn itself into your wheels. I cannot cont how many times we have had to replace wheels on a delivery because of the front ones being burnt.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:33 AM   #14
Kahakeaboi
Advanced Member
Kahakeaboi is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Yikes, it ruins the Chrome...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kahakeaboi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kahakeaboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:27 PM   #15
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

No, it ruins the schome... err.. Chrome... I really need to proofread posts before I click submit.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Heard something yesterday on a radio show about a "dustless pad."
Seems that Raybestos makes one called "QuietStop".
Anybody know about these?
Do they have any for the L-series? Costs?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:41 PM   #17
socketz

I can drive my 4Runner for a week and there is barely any dust on the wheels. Car stops on a dime (as compared to other SUVs), so it's not like they compromised on rotor/shoe composition.

Could it have something to do with the way the wheels ventilate ? Maybe the dust drops to the ground on this car vs. how all of it sticks to the wheel on the L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help socketz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #18
rdisaturn
rdisaturn is on a distinguished road

Sad Chrome wheel quality

I have 3-month old L200 full loaded with Chrome wheel. Now I have only 2600 miles on it. But I found In the front wheel chrome, there are a lot of peel off. Do you have the save issues? I think this is a quality problem, will talk to the dealer when I do the first service.

By the way, next car I will choose alloy wheel in stead of chrome wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdisaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdisaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:17 PM   #19
socketz

"By the way, next car I will choose alloy wheel in stead of chrome wheel."

Chrome (using nickel and chromium rods to bond chrome to a steel or aluminum wheel) wheels are fine.

The wheels you have are not actually chromed, but alloy wheels with a plastic 'chromed' cover. Take a look at them close up.

Alot of manufactures have started to do this in an effort to add a cool looking/popular feature at minimal cost.

True chromed wheels are very exspensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2003, 02:20 PM   #20
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

My '01 had lots of dust also, but after about 10k mi. it seems to let up quite a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread