SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2016, 03:25 AM   #21
DrvLikHell
DrvLikHell is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: V6 and S-series engine swap discussion for real :)

Not trying to necro a month old thread, but I was just tooling around and this caught my eye.

A Wankel rotary would be an excellent candidate for a swap. Even though it's not a 6 cylinder (or any cylinder), a 2-rotor Wankel fires six times per crank/eccentric shaft revolution. Non-turbo rotaries from the 2nd gen Mazda RX-7 are diehard and the FCS4 put out 160hp with a very rich factory tune. 300hp is a sneeze for a turbo rotary, and even turbo rotaries can be built to be reliable as long as you know what you're doing and use good parts.

If I had a few extra bucks and a spare S-series, I'd try dropping in an NA rotary. I'd have to try mating it to an AWD transmission too because I've always wanted to tell an STi or an Evo to eat my plastic dust.

As far as an actual six cylinder engine goes... Since Sean R fit an LS V8 from an Impala SS into his SL, I think whatever V6 the Impala had would probably also fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrvLikHell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrvLikHell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrvLikHell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #22
brokendown
brokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvLikHell View Post
Not trying to necro a month old thread, but I was just tooling around and this caught my eye.

A Wankel rotary would be an excellent candidate for a swap. Even though it's not a 6 cylinder (or any cylinder), a 2-rotor Wankel fires six times per crank/eccentric shaft revolution. Non-turbo rotaries from the 2nd gen Mazda RX-7 are diehard and the FCS4 put out 160hp with a very rich factory tune. 300hp is a sneeze for a turbo rotary, and even turbo rotaries can be built to be reliable as long as you know what you're doing and use good parts.

If I had a few extra bucks and a spare S-series, I'd try dropping in an NA rotary. I'd have to try mating it to an AWD transmission too because I've always wanted to tell an STi or an Evo to eat my plastic dust.

As far as an actual six cylinder engine goes... Since Sean R fit an LS V8 from an Impala SS into his SL, I think whatever V6 the Impala had would probably also fit.
Supernecro!

The rotary is well suited to being down low and compact for a longitudinal mounting - i'm not as sure about transverse which often want a transmission packed next to it - where a tall vertical block is better than a compact small square. Unless you convert it to a longitudinal mounting with all the trimmings but i'd think that would be expensive...

Though if you had something in mind on how you'd put one in i'm all ears.

Not familiar with a V8 s-series (link?) but pretty sure that would be a full custom chassis job, not a factory unibody at all. Even if you could get it in there the torque would be chassis destroying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #23
Will.bass
Will.bass has a spectacular aura aboutWill.bass has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendown View Post
Not familiar with a V8 s-series (link?) but pretty sure that would be a full custom chassis job, not a factory unibody at all. Even if you could get it in there the torque would be chassis destroying.
here ya go. FWD V8. just modded the factory subframe..
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215499

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Will.bass's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Will.bass reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Will.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #24
codyhayes
codyhayes is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: V6 and S-series engine swap discussion for real :)

Found this link on the topic: engineswapdepot dot com /?p=9312 specific info on the LS1 V8 engine swap.

I happen to own a 2002 SC2 and also a 2004 Mazda RX8. Both cars were purchased at auction. The RX8 has high mileage but is a rebuilt engine and the Saturn has 114800 miles but has a disappearing coolant problem which could justify an engine swap, just not sure how tricky it might be to swip swap the RX8 regenesis rotary motor into the SC2. Whatever it takes it's not going to be fun during the Arizona summer time.

Cheers!

-Cody

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to codyhayes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help codyhayes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
codyhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #25
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

And here I just want a 3 cylinder mirage engine..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote