SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default -10 And having issues with high idle.

Hey guys,

Its -10 here and I have been having issues all day with high idle, The idle resets with shutting off the car but returns after about 2 miles, Should I ignore the issue being the temp is so cold out? I know the TPS is having an issue at these temps, I have not driven the other car yet to see if that one responds the same way, Ive been using the block heater all day to dry and dampen the blow on the engine but the car is really having issues all day with these temps. I was just going to let it alone being its this cold outside, Its the first time in years for these temperatures.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Saturn1986
Saturn1986 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: -10 And having issues with high idle.

Probably normal with temps that low, ill let the other guys comment since they have been around these cars longer and know how they behave with winter temps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn1986's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn1986 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
APAACARMMANN
APAACARMMANN is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2001 SC2

my guess could be that this could be normal. i think we already had at least 2 days of this low temperature and my wifes car was idling a little high both 2 days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to APAACARMMANN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help APAACARMMANN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
APAACARMMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If it resets when you switch the car off and back on it is the TPS, probably a flaky connection. Disconnect clean socket and connector with CRC QD-Electronics Connection Cleaner and very lightly grease the rubber connector seal, keep the grease out of the connector proper. That may or may not fix it but it is quick and cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Cruzer32
Cruzer32 has a spectacular aura aboutCruzer32 has a spectacular aura about

Same issue going on here. Seems to be more frequent with the cold temps. I've just been waiting on a warmer day to pop the hood and investigate the TPS.

I've just been ignoring it though...not going to hurt much except the fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cruzer32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cruzer32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cruzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Hey guys,

Its -10 here and I have been having issues all day with high idle, The idle resets with shutting off the car but returns after about 2 miles, Should I ignore the issue being the temp is so cold out? I know the TPS is having an issue at these temps, I have not driven the other car yet to see if that one responds the same way, Ive been using the block heater all day to dry and dampen the blow on the engine but the car is really having issues all day with these temps. I was just going to let it alone being its this cold outside, Its the first time in years for these temperatures.
EXACT same situation with the extra cold temps on my SL2.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Well it is either the TPS or the connector. Cold will adversely impact either component. This is not normal expected behavior and should be fixed. First guess would be the connector is the cause. For warm weather troubleshooting get a couple cans of Freeze at a decent electronics supply shop, maybe even RadioShack will have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Well ill see what happens when I use it tomorrow, I drove the other car today and that one did not act up at all, However we made it to +12 degrees today verses the -10 it was yesterday.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Tripp
Tripp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Sounds like the TPS, as I had the same problem. It would idle fine for a bit and then start idling high out of no where. If I turned the car off and back on it would fix it but still return after so many miles. Cleaned it and that didn't help. Bought a new ACDelco TPS and installed it, and it's ran/idled fine since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tripp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tripp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Cruzer32
Cruzer32 has a spectacular aura aboutCruzer32 has a spectacular aura about

For $30, it's worth replacing either way if the installed TPS is original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cruzer32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cruzer32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cruzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That AC Delco is not OEM. If you want OEM then you dig one out of the JY and be real careful as all/most of the aftermarket TPS have the correct Saturn part number on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

If aftermarket replacements have the Saturn number on them how can you tell the original from a aftermarket unit? I installed an AC Delco unit on my Wagon in the fall from my local GM Dealership, It had the Saturn P/N on it, It seems to work correctly and corrected the random high idle I had on that car a few months back.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

Last edited by SL19302; 01-09-2014 at 01:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You tell the difference by comparing the level of gunk on the surrounding wiring, sensors, etc to the TPS. The TPS is not a linear or log potentiometer there is a specific curve( ohms vs. degree of rotation ) in them. Having a generic TPS on a manual trans car may never be noticed but part of the auto trans shifting is done by throttle position. This little issue was covered some time in the past along with a discussion on the impact the MAP sensor has on mileage. poster bendorfold enter into search box above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
brian74
brian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2002 SC2

Ive been through 4 TPS (tried both used & new) and fully replaced the TPS connector with delco new. Occasionally and randomly my car still likes to idle high. I'm convinced there is no solution.

2001 SL1 215k miles; daily driver
2002 SC2 166k (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brian74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brian74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Well I drove it all around today and it didnt act up one time, Its 25 degrees though, Ill see what happens the next cold snap, I didnt reseat the connector at all yet, I wanted to see what happened when the temp rebounded, So far its good, A guy that I work with his 2013 Corolla was acting up that day when it was -10 so I think that bitter cold with the wind chill near -25 had alot to do with what was going on with alot of peoples cars.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
Tripp
Tripp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Yeah, I actually grabbed it because it matched the OEM serial number but did not know that.

Either way it seems to work fine and I installed it ~8 months ago. It fixed my high idle and car runs pretty good. I changed my valve body and it helped a lot but there it still changes kinda rough sometimes. But with almost 200,000 miles on the transmission, and the fact I've gave it a little hell, I'm convinced it's the transmission and not the TPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tripp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tripp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
If aftermarket replacements have the Saturn number on them how can you tell the original from a aftermarket unit? I installed an AC Delco unit on my Wagon in the fall from my local GM Dealership, It had the Saturn P/N on it, It seems to work correctly and corrected the random high idle I had on that car a few months back.
If it corrected the problem, you have a winner. I really don't see the logic in sourcing JY parts when the majority of the cars are higher miles when they are scrapped. If I had a local JY full of 25K mile cars, sure I would snatch up some spare parts on the cheap. But when half the cars in the yards have more miles than my car, it really makes no sense to replace a worn out part with another worn out part.

My oil isn't OEM either, and I'm not scared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Well I drove it all around today and it didnt act up one time, Its 25 degrees though, Ill see what happens the next cold snap, I didnt reseat the connector at all yet, I wanted to see what happened when the temp rebounded, So far its good, A guy that I work with his 2013 Corolla was acting up that day when it was -10 so I think that bitter cold with the wind chill near -25 had alot to do with what was going on with alot of peoples cars.
Cold does that to variable resistors and those connectors. It is not an uncommon problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #19
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

I'll throw another possibility into the hat for good measure, however I think this would be less likely than what has already been mentioned. Gunk in the throttle gets stiffer at -10, causing throttle to stick, unlikely but a possibility if the throttle body has not been cleaned in forever.

As discussed, more likely a component level failure of the potentiometer in the TPS at that happens at that temperature causing the incorrect resistance value to be displayed to the PCM, but otherwise fine at above 0 temps.

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I cleaned my throttlebody in September, and one time 2 years ago which it was really gunked up at 80K that was the first time it was cleaned, So thats not an issue, Its been cleaned twice in 8K miles, but I could see that being a possibility on a dirty throttlebody.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!