SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Any way to verify that a timing belt has been changed on the Honda V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
Also, I looked through the other timing belt threads, and I couldn't spot a pic of where the water pump is.

Is it somewhere in the exploded view of post #11?
Here's a thumbnail for water pump (item 300) ... you can also look at post 11 thumbnail to locate pump drive pulley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.5 Water Pump.jpg (136.6 KB, 30 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Any way to verify that a timing belt has been changed on the Honda V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Here's a thumbnail for water pump (item 300) ... you can also look at post 11 thumbnail to locate pump drive pulley.
ok, thanks. now I see why it's part of the timing belt replacement process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
I should have asked earlier, but is there anything blocking access to that cam cover that has to be removed first?
I doubt if the typical seller would feel comfortable with multiple parts of their engine being pulled off to view a belt.
bumping this post in case no one noticed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...The airfilter box, then 4 bolts around the cover and 1 in the lower center, then the cover just pops off,you'll see the rubber gasket come off with the cover as part of it, no sealant. I have a K&N intake and had to remove that to remove forward cover , hope that helps, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I should have asked earlier, but is there anything blocking access to that cam cover that has to be removed first?
I doubt if the typical seller would feel comfortable with multiple parts of their engine being pulled off to view a belt.
If I was a private seller you would not get a wrench on the car until you bought it and paid for it.

The water pump is under the timing belt covers driven by the timing belt. It is the pulley near the top of the engine at the valley between the heads.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
If I was a private seller you would not get a wrench on the car until you bought it and paid for it.

The water pump is under the timing belt covers driven by the timing belt. It is the pulley near the top of the engine at the valley between the heads.
Thanks for the info on the water pump.

As far as the cam cover goes, with something as potentially major as the timing belt issue is, if i'm not verifying the belt has been changed, i'm looking elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
As far as the cam cover goes, with something as potentially major as the timing belt issue is, if i'm not verifying the belt has been changed, i'm looking elsewhere.

Speaking as someone with a Vue that's kinda sorta for sale right now, the minute a potential buyer started wanting to tear my car apart is the minute I'd stop dealing with them.

There's a chance they're just being thorough, but on an inexpensive vehicle it's not worth the time to let them fool around with it. The reality is, more than likely they're just crazy people that aren't capable or competent enough to do the job correctly anyways, and if they screw it up, its unlikely they're going to pony and buy the car that they broke, especially not at the previous asking price.

If I was you, I'd just figure in replacing the timing belt and such if you're that worried about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Speaking as someone with a Vue that's kinda sorta for sale right now, the minute a potential buyer started wanting to tear my car apart is the minute I'd stop dealing with them.

There's a chance they're just being thorough, but on an inexpensive vehicle it's not worth the time to let them fool around with it. The reality is, more than likely they're just crazy people that aren't capable or competent enough to do the job correctly anyways, and if they screw it up, its unlikely they're going to pony and buy the car that they broke, especially not at the previous asking price.

If I was you, I'd just figure in replacing the timing belt and such if you're that worried about it.
So you'd buy a Vue with enough miles that the belt is scheduled for replacement, and whose owner claims the belt was replaced, and then turn around and potentially replace it for the 2nd time?

This isn't pulling a computer out, or a radio, or unbolting seats to see if the mounts are sturdy, or anything else equally ridiculous. It's a cover on a cam shaft that has a neo gasket.
I know this, because I was told so in this very thread.
If this was the equivalent of pulling valve covers, i'd just find one that's due for replacement and pay accordingly.

Everyone can do business as they please, including me. If I can't verify it, i'm not buying it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #29
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Is this a private seller who has the one you're looking at? You could always ask where it was done, and verify with the garage that they did indeed do the work.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Is this a private seller who has the one you're looking at? You could always ask where it was done, and verify with the garage that they did indeed do the work.
It all went well and i'm the proud owner of a 2007 Vue.

As far as the garage goes, I actually did call. I could barely understand the guy, and he couldn't remember what parts he replaced.
Which is sort of understandable, but it just reinforced me wanting to see the belt with my own eyes.
When I asked the owner if I could check the belt, I made a point of mentioning that he could ask the mechanic if he thought it was ok to pull the cam cover. He (the owner) didn't have any problem with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Congrats!

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Congrats!
Thanks!

My little SL2 that I just put new tires front and back, axles both sides and Monroe struts/springs on all 4 corners, is now going to my son.
I guess that makes me the artist formerly known as SL2 Ride now.
Or something like that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #33
Lexton2186
Lexton2186 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to the people on this thread for the info. I just purchased an '07 Vue with 140K miles to pull behind my RV. Service was pretty detailed on carfax, and had been well maintained, however no mention of the timing belt change. So, this morning I followed the instructions and the belt was in great shape with all lettering visible, so I am deducting that it was changed. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lexton2186's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lexton2186 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lexton2186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #34
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Just bumping this thread to add that when the guy showed up with the Vue, in the glove box was a receipt for the belt replacement. He could have mentioned that on the phone, lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #35
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I always take a dated picture after replacing the belt. Leaves no doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote