SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Any way to verify that a timing belt has been changed on the Honda V6?

I'm looking to buy a Vue with the Honda V6, and from what I understand the timing belt swap is a big job.
So I'm going to look for one that it's already been done on.

But it occurs to me that the seller could say the belt has been swapped out even if it hasn't.
Even a receipt can't be fully trusted unless it's from Firestone/Goodyear, etc.

So i'm wondering if there's a view window I can pull open somewhere to get a look at the belt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Default Re: Any way to verify that a timing belt has been changed on the Honda V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
I'm looking to buy a Vue with the Honda V6, and from what I understand the timing belt swap is a big job.

But it occurs to me that the seller could say the belt has been swapped out even if it hasn't.

So i'm wondering if there's a view window I can pull open somewhere to get a look at the belt?
No way to really tell by looking at the belt and no real easy way to get access to the belt without taking things apart anyway.

It's not a bigger job to do than it is on any other transverse mounted V6. The "gotcha" is that a couple of other items ought to be taken care of at the same time:

spark plugs (due at 100k miles)
valve lash adjustment (also due at 100k miles)
water pump (usually done with timing belt)
thermostat (usually done with timing belt)

If you're not absolutely sure, change it. The consequences of it breaking could set you back the cost of a new/rebuilt engine.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Any way to verify that a timing belt has been changed on the Honda V6?

VUEmaniac, i've owned cars where you could see the belt, and it was very easy to tell the difference between a new belt and one with 100k miles on it.

But are you saying that this is one of those motors that pretty much get grenaded when the belt breaks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

There r 2 belts....the accessory drive belt and the timing belt. The accessory belt is exposed, easy to see/change. The timing belt is covered, out if sight and takes a bit to change. I believe the VUE has an "Interference" motor......if the timing belt breaks, lots of interference between valves and pistons hitting each other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
There r 2 belts....the accessory drive belt and the timing belt. The accessory belt is exposed, easy to see/change. The timing belt is covered, out if sight and takes a bit to change. I believe the VUE has an "Interference" motor......if the timing belt breaks, lots of interference between valves and pistons hitting each other.
i'm talking specifically about the timing belts.

the motors i'm talking about had a window with a rubber plug that you can pull that would give you a view of the side of the belt. so you could tell with absolute certainty if the belt was new or not.

and if this is an "interference" motor like you mentioned, then i'd really like to be sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Au Ra Vue
Au Ra Vue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
VUEmaniac, i've owned cars where you could see the belt, and it was very easy to tell the difference between a new belt and one with 100k miles on it.

But are you saying that this is one of those motors that pretty much get grenaded when the belt breaks?

Will it grenade every time? No..... Could it grenade?..... Absolutely.

Even a receipt from the most reputable company doesn't necessarily mean it was your vehicle it was done on unless vin number is on receipt.

Like someone else says, if you have any doubts change it.

That being said the basic rules of used car buying apply. Do background checks on the dealer, if they haven't been around for a while error on the side of caution.

If it's a private sale and the person doesn't want you to come to their house and wants to meet you at the local mall, assume the worst. If you go to the persons place of residence and they tell you it was done and you get a good vibe from the person I'd tend to believe them.

*10/11/14 lost my timing belt virginity
*formerly Vue in Ontario

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Au Ra Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Au Ra Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Au Ra Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Just for the sake of clarity here, is everyone saying it's impossible to get a view of the belt without taking the motor apart?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

The left side cam sprocket has a small cover - I think there are four 10mm bolts holding in place. I've looked at it in the past and it didn't appear to be a big deal to remove for belt inspection.

I've had belts changed on two 3.5 Vue's by independent shop - in both cases they made a note (Sharpie) on the intake manifold stating mileage when timing belt and water pump were changed. This would be useful only if the Vue you're looking at has the note.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Just for the sake of clarity here, is everyone saying it's impossible to get a view of the belt without taking the motor apart?
The black plastic cover over the forward (rad) head cam sprocket is the easiest to remove (as already mentioned). Once it is off you can check the timing belt for condition. If you rotate the engine you can look for the lettering on the timing belt, IE part numbers or belt manufacturer. If the lettering is there in fairly good legible condition then the belt has been done recently. If it is gone/nearly gone (worn off by running) then the belt has been on longer than not.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
The left side cam sprocket has a small cover - I think there are four 10mm bolts holding in place. I've looked at it in the past and it didn't appear to be a big deal to remove for belt inspection.

I've had belts changed on two 3.5 Vue's by independent shop - in both cases they made a note (Sharpie) on the intake manifold stating mileage when timing belt and water pump were changed. This would be useful only if the Vue you're looking at has the note.

You mean the two big circles at the top of the motor in this view?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
You mean the two big circles at the top of the motor in this view?
Nah - wrong engine - looks like the 2.2 four-banger.

See item 3 in thumbnail.

By the way - pay particular attention to ssicarman's post ... he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about the 3.5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left Bank Cam Sprocket Cover.jpg (155.5 KB, 55 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Ok, so it's those end caps, and I should probably go with the one towards the front of the car for ease of access, right?

BTW, that drawing I posted came from here. Says it's a Saturn Vue V6.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/19bia-...ue-v6-run.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ok, so it's those end caps, and I should probably go with the one towards the front of the car for ease of access, right?

BTW, that drawing I posted came from here. Says it's a Saturn Vue V6.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/19bia-...ue-v6-run.html
That is a 2002 3.0LT V-6 not the Honda 3.5LT V-6.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
SL2 Ride ... I believe I'd remove item 3. It appears to be the better choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
SL2 Ride ... I believe I'd remove item 3. It appears to be the better choice.
ok, that's the one closest to the front of the vue, right?

is that a neo gasket that those covers sit on? (#2 and #4)

I'd hate to examine one in advance, and have to worry about replacing a felpro gasket or something like that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
ok, that's the one closest to the front of the vue, right?

is that a neo gasket that those covers sit on? (#2 and #4)

I'd hate to examine one in advance, and have to worry about replacing a felpro gasket or something like that...
Correct - item three covers bank 2 cam sprocket - radiator side of engine.

The timing covers have slits for floating gaskets (probably neophrene) which are reusuable almost forever (unless you lose one).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Well it looks like i'm set now. just a matter of waiting for the guy to call me back on the Vue i'm supposed to check out.
Any minute now, i'm sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Standardized belt viewing.......wouldn't that be nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Correct - item three covers bank 2 cam sprocket - radiator side of engine.

The timing covers have slits for floating gaskets (probably neophrene) which are reusuable almost forever (unless you lose one).
I should have asked earlier, but is there anything blocking access to that cam cover that has to be removed first?
I doubt if the typical seller would feel comfortable with multiple parts of their engine being pulled off to view a belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Also, I looked through the other timing belt threads, and I couldn't spot a pic of where the water pump is.

Is it somewhere in the exploded view of post #11?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!