SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
1999_Saturn_SC2
1999_Saturn_SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default A few minor issues with my 2004 Ion Level 3 sedan...

I figured I'd post this in the Tech section to see if more people that are familiar with these cars could throw me a little info...

1. When I turn on the A/C, there's a clicking noise that comes from the dash. The higher that I turn the blower up, the faster the clicking. Could this be the blower itself? The air comes out fine, it just makes the noise.

2. I realize that the front rotors are a little warped, but when I hit the brakes from roughly 40MPH or higher, I can hear and feel the steering column rattle while the brakes pulsate, the column sounds and feels loose when it rattles. Anybody know if this is normal for these cars when the rotors get warped?

3. Lastly, my transmission (Aisin 5-speed automatic) shifts fine through all gears, but I've read from some owners of ION's with this transmission that theirs shifts "smooth". Mine doesn't shift especially smooth, you can definitely feel the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 (or overdrive) shift. It doesn't slam into gears or anything, but it feels really elastic-like, it almost lunges the car forward slightly after it shifts. It's firm, but not harsh. I've had the transmission fluid changed with the proper fluid and it hasn't helped. I can live with it, but just want to know if it's a reason for concern.

All responses appreciated. Just want to try and keep it running good. It has 192,000 miles if that helps (yeah, it's alot).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999_Saturn_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999_Saturn_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999_Saturn_SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: A few minor issues with my 2004 Ion Level 3 sedan...

when you say "a/c", do you actually mean specifically your air conditioning, or any time the fan is on? it's most likely your fan, as that's the only thing I can think of that could make that noise.

driving the car with warped rotors a lot, you could have actually damaged the intermediate steering shaft. plus, the car has so many miles on it, it could just be worn out, anyways. it's hard on the whole steering system to drive with warped rotors, and they really should be changed as soon as you notice them being warped.

check your front and rear engine mounts, they may need replacing.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
1999_Saturn_SC2
1999_Saturn_SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: A few minor issues with my 2004 Ion Level 3 sedan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
when you say "a/c", do you actually mean specifically your air conditioning, or any time the fan is on? it's most likely your fan, as that's the only thing I can think of that could make that noise.

driving the car with warped rotors a lot, you could have actually damaged the intermediate steering shaft. plus, the car has so many miles on it, it could just be worn out, anyways. it's hard on the whole steering system to drive with warped rotors, and they really should be changed as soon as you notice them being warped.

check your front and rear engine mounts, they may need replacing.
Thanks for the response. It makes the noise anytime I turn on the A/C, the clicking gets faster the higher up I turn the blower/fan. It blows air fine, just makes the noise.

I actually just bought it, so I don't know how long the rotors have been warped. Just wanted to know if you or anybody here thinks that it's normal for the steering column to rattle? I hear it a little when I go over certain bumps too, steers fine though.

I don't think it's the mounts since it goes from drive to reverse (and vice versa) smoothly, no clunking. It's just a stiff 1st-2nd shift and 2nd-3rd (or overdrive) shift, kinda like a rubber-band. Just wanted to know is ANY Ion owners with the Aisin transmission experience this??? For some reason my posts don't get very many opinions/responses

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999_Saturn_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999_Saturn_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999_Saturn_SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote