SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
saturn95
saturn95 has a spectacular aura aboutsaturn95 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Oil Plug keeps leaking after oil change even after buying new plug?

After changing the oil on my 01 Sl2 the plug keeps dripping oil slowly!!!I replaced the plug with a new(like I should have done since the beginning) and it stills leaks. I have tried tighten down and nothing. The plug screwed in very nice so there are no striped threads and I don't want to tighten it anymore because then it will strip. Is this a common problem? Should I just get another new plug?Thanks for the help guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
LowSC2
LowSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1991 SL2
Default Re: Oil Plug keeps leaking after oil change even after buying new plug?

Where did you get the new plug? Some plugs have a plastic washer that doesn't hold the oil in very well. You might need something with a rubber or silicone washer.

Jeff Silva ~ 91 SL2 - 11.809 @ 116.488mph
•Chilton & Haynes manuals are junk
•Changing the ECTS doesn't fix everything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LowSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I got the plug at a local auto part store, it has like a built in rubber washer, but the head was a lot smaller than the one I replaced which was also leaking.
I am assuming that the old one was leaking because you are not supposed to used them again after the oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn95 View Post
I got the plug at a local auto part store, it has like a built in rubber washer, but the head was a lot smaller than the one I replaced which was also leaking.
I am assuming that the old one was leaking because you are not supposed to used them again after the oil change.
I've always reused oil pan plugs with no problem. I have not seen a requirement for single use on any of my vehicles.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

get a factory plug. mine never leaked ever...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

yes. factory replacement.

and lol whoever suggested to you that they are one time use.

you may even want to add your own, thicker rubber washer.

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

A thin bead of RTV around the bolt head where the current rubber washer is should take care of that.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
A thin bead of RTV around the bolt head where the current rubber washer is should take care of that.

yes. cause that is a better solution then a freaking rubber washer on a bolt you remove every month.

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

There's a chance that your plug is not leaking at all - take a clean white piece of paper towel and wipe around the oil pan. You may have a leak further up and it is just dripping down to the lowest point on the pan - around the drain plug.

Never heard of one use plug, though I do have a car that uses one-use crush washers for the oil drain plug

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

The pan might be slightly indented, or have a nick or something. If the rubber washer alone doesn't seal it, grab another washer. I've been using the nylon washers for years now and they work well on all our vehicles. I've used the rubber ones in the past and they work well, but don't seem to be as tough as the nylon IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

I got mine at NAPA. Tell them you want an OEM replacement. Mine has worked great for a little over 4 years and 75,000 miles.

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
01 sc2m mine
93 sc2m my sons
06 chevy 2500 crew 6.6 DMAX
99 sw2a converted to manuel now a race car
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I stopped by the auto store and got some of the rubber gaskets; I already installed it and seems to work, we will see!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
saturn94v
saturn94v is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn95 View Post
After changing the oil on my 01 Sl2 the plug keeps dripping oil slowly!!!I replaced the plug with a new(like I should have done since the beginning) and it stills leaks. I have tried tighten down and nothing. The plug screwed in very nice so there are no striped threads and I don't want to tighten it anymore because then it will strip. Is this a common problem? Should I just get another new plug?Thanks for the help guys.
Buy thicker oil.....LOL!...

94 SC1 1.9L SOHC
GM Blue Green
278,429 miles
32+/- AVG/MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn94v's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn94v reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn94v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
t&m
t&m is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Those plastic gaskets they want you to replace every old change and they leak. The rubber you got should work much better and interesting enough are about the same price. I had to replace the gasket on the plug and the replacement rubber has been working well for years now.

Might also check the plug though, any chance someone else changed the oil and may have crossthreaded it or overtorqued it? Me and some friends do a community service for single moms changing their oil and some people really get carried away tightening the oil plug for whatever reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t&m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t&m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
t&m is offline   Reply With Quote