SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
2002 saturn
2002 saturn is on a distinguished road

Default Poor Fuel Milage. Pump/filter Problem?

I have a 2002 SC1 with the 1.9L SOHC engine. Recently when i start my car fast it stalls like there was no fuel or something. So now i hold it a few seconds before i start the car and it is fine. Do you think my fuel filter is clogged or my fuel pump going? I also have been getting very very bad fuel milage as well. Could that be the problem? What should i do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2002 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2002 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2002 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: Poor Fuel Milage. Pump/filter Problem?

"Recently when i start my car fast"

You mean, if you turn the key quickly to start it?
That happened to mine, when you turn it to the first click, you can hear the fuel pump running, then start it, well the dealer replaced the fuel pump because somehow it wasn't holding pressure from the last time it was shut off. My understanding was that the pump assembly was kaput.
This was about 72,000 miles and 4 years old. (Extended warranty, fortunately)

If it runs OK at high speed, probably the pump and fuel filter are OK otherwise but maybe still no good?

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
2002 saturn

For the poor gas milage my mechanic told me to replace the fuel filter. Well cuase there was no aftermarket filters, Saturn's AC Delco filter cost a whopping $161. The pump cost $414. I don t want to spend money for no reason. How do i know the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is goping? He scanned the computer and no codes came up. He also told me to do a injector cleaning with this system that you plug in a run the car with this chemical cleans your injectors. i don t know what to do but i need to figure out my i get only on average of 350Km when i was getting 500-550km a tank. WHAT DO I DO? Gas is 1.26 litre lol lol lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2002 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

MikeNW's partially right. There is a check valve in the fuel pump that holds he pressure in the fuel system and the only way to fix it when it goes is to replace the fuel pump but, you don't have to fix it. When you get in the car turn the key to run, not start. You'll hear he fuel pump pressurizing the system. Then the car will start normally. Just get in the habit of turning the key to run then put on your seat belt, then start the car.

There are actually a lot of different brands of aftermarket fuel filters for that car . The manufacturers don't know it though. Ask for a fuel filter for an S-10 2.2L Flex fuel. It'll be about $35 and it'll work.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

GK industries part#GF1846 fits 99-02 S-Series among others. As Barn Owl said should run you between $30-40.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The fuel filter and/or pump is always the first excuse for poor fuel economy. If a pump were to falter or run intermittently the engine would tend to run erratically. You haven't complained of this. Pump failure just leaves you with a typical symptom of the engine cranking away but failing to fire up. Very few filters have been clogged up causing engine problems and posted here.

Without posting a mileage number leaves no clue whether or not its time to replace a fuel filter as well as not knowing if you knowingly or unknowingly bought any contaminated gas. The alternate fuel filter posted is certainly a better cost alternative and will at least give some assurance that a suspected contaminated filter is replaced.

Here are some other possibilities to poor fuel mileage. When were the spark plugs checked/replaced/cleaned? If the plugs haven't been checked and they've accrued enough mileage, worn plugs can contribute to lower fuel mileage. The same with the air filter. Keep an open mind as poor fuel mileage can be from any number of components. When was the throttle body looked at for general cleaning? A failed fuel pressure regulator may allow a ruptured diaphragm to leak raw fuel into the intake manifold giving the engine a rich air/fuel mixture without any indication.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 saturn View Post
For the poor gas milage my mechanic told me to replace the fuel filter. Well cuase there was no aftermarket filters, Saturn's AC Delco filter cost a whopping $161. The pump cost $414. I don t want to spend money for no reason. How do i know the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is goping? He scanned the computer and no codes came up. He also told me to do a injector cleaning with this system that you plug in a run the car with this chemical cleans your injectors. i don t know what to do but i need to figure out my i get only on average of 350Km when i was getting 500-550km a tank. WHAT DO I DO? Gas is 1.26 litre lol lol lol
I would come here like you have done and consider going to a different mechanic. To me prices seem to be somewhat high (fuel filter), and the injection cleaning system may be accomplished by add some Techron to a few tanks of gas. Fdryer and others had some great ideas. New NGK plugs if it has been 30,000 miles since replaced, new air filter if dirty. Tire pressure at least 30 lbs. New mechanic if they are not open to using the cheaper non-oem fuel filter or push injection cleaning service. These filters are rated for a 100,000 mile service interval (but that could change with bad gas).

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
2002 saturn

I did replace the plugs/wires not to long ago. My car has about 125km on it. i also changed my knock sensor cause a code came up when my mechanic scanned it. I also changed my EGR valve along with cleaning out my throttle body--which was very dirty with alot of carbon built up mind you. So i don t know what to replace next!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
There are actually a lot of different brands of aftermarket fuel filters for that car . The manufacturers don't know it though. Ask for a fuel filter for an S-10 2.2L Flex fuel. It'll be about $35 and it'll work.
I left off the year. That's a 2001 or 2002 S10 2.2L flex fuel.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 saturn View Post
Well cuase there was no aftermarket filters, Saturn's AC Delco filter cost a whopping $161.
That sounds odd. I just had a friend at a GM dealer get me Delco P/N GF637 for $28 + tax (trade price) but even the regular sale price in the computer was under $50 - and parts tend to cost alot more in Canada.

Interestingly, I could not find a Fram FF at Wallmart or Canadian tire for S-series, in fact whne I looked under S-series in their catalogue, there was no Part # under Fuel Filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote