SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
sdasilva
sdasilva is on a distinguished road

Default Plastic Torpedo's S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All" Question

This might sound like a really stupid question but I just want to be absolutely sure before starting to replace my valve body: The instructions Plastic Torpedo wrote are for any year SL2 correct? Also, is there anything additional that might need to be done if the car has extra options (perhaps ABS)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdasilva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdasilva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
sdasilva
sdasilva is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Plastic Torpedo's S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All" Question

Also, in your post, it says there are two different valve bodies and to make sure you get the right one - how do you know which is the right one (so you can get it beforehand - so you don't have to remove the old one, put it back on, order the new one, take the old one back off to put the new one on)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdasilva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdasilva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Plastic Torpedo's S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All" Question

i believe so. i used them for the '96 i was workin on and had no issues.

not to sure about your second question tho

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Just tell them the year of your car and they will send you the right one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Just tell them the year of your car and they will send you the right one.
hopefully

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
xdisasTroyx
xdisasTroyx is on a distinguished road

what is the torque for valve body cover

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xdisasTroyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xdisasTroyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xdisasTroyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

106 inch-lbs for the valve body cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
6079smithw
6079smithw is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
1998 SW2

I just got back from road-testing my '01 SL1 (344512 mi. on odometer) after performing P.T.'s tightening routine (1st time ever for me; decided to forgo the valve body until I tried this first) and it works like a charm!
Thought I'd toss in my $0.02 from the experience that others may find useful:

Ordered the end cover gasket from my local GM dealer (Reno, NV) for 8 bucks and change. Arrived next morning, Part # 2100-1684.

Got the 23mm socket from NAPA Carlyle Tools # S12123M $6.-sumthing.
It didn't fit in the clutch housing; turned it down .012" on a lathe cuz I had one to use but easy to grind on a wheel. Note: a 6-point socket Will NOT work! The shaft nut is 12-points. Period.

Don't grind the frame. #1, you don't have to. #2, all those sparks around an engine/in a garage/near flammables ain't a good thing. Besides, your local Fire Dept. trains regularly anyway. Just wave when you see them on the street, they will appreciate that more than making a house call.

I removed the brake caliper and the rotor assy. (4 bolts total) plus the brake line bracket (10mm) at 12:00 on the inner fender liner. Moved the rigid line gently to the left just enough to get at the cover bolts. Be careful, you don't want to kink the rigid line or strain the flex-hose.
Removed the rear 18mm cradle bolt and held it down with a 2" wood splitter wedge (screwdriver handle would have most likely worked just as well) and had plenty of room to get at the end cover bolts.

*** NOW HERE COMES THE PART WHERE I MESSED UP ***
The Good News: The 12 10mm cover bolts came off easily with a 3/8 ratchet and a 6" extension. The end cover loosened up with just a little help from a pocketknife blade in the seam at 9:00 and 3:00. A few oz. of fluid came out into the catch pan under the end cover. Don't forget the pan. Your garage floor will thank you tenfold.
The BAD NEWS: I discovered there is NOT enough room to completely pull the end cover with the strut installed AFTER I moved it eeeever so slightly to the left and wound up bending the longer of the 2 tubes No way was I going to risk losing 4th gear by attempting to straighten the tube and trashing that seal that other posters have mentioned! Luckily I live less than 10 minutes from a Pick-n-Pull where I found an '02 SL1 with a blown rod (change dat OIL, kids!) and a pristine tranny. Removed THAT strut, pulled the cover STRAIGHT back and 14 bucks later went home with a replacement cover and straight tubes. But I digress...

While the replacement cover was soaking in Gunk spray, I addressed the shaft nut. 3, count 'em, 3 effortless turns by hand to snug the nut! Torqued it to spec (don't skimp this step, you can borrow a torque bar at your local AutoZone for a deposit when you're buying the new fluid and filter, Murphy loves crushing mortals that run afoul of his Law!) and checked the 30mm nut, that one was tight. No score marks on the old cover BTW. Yanked my strut in 5 minutes, set the new gasket with a thin coat of lith grease on the trans side and slid the new cover on after starting both tubes by hand, got it on the first try. Went slowly and straight; easy when the strut ain't in the way! Put it all back together, fired it up and after an initial sloppy reverse and a couple of clunky 1-2 upshifts it's working like new!

The car is currently up on the ramps while the gearbox drains; as soon as I finish this post (and my Greek Salad) I'll install the new filter and fluid and take a spin down the freeway.

Attn. Wolfman and Plastic Torpedo: If ever we meet along the Saturn Highway, be assured there will be a few Beer Mugs with your names on them!

Last edited by 6079smithw; 08-28-2016 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling/punctuation

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 6079smithw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 6079smithw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
6079smithw is offline   Reply With Quote