SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
likeneverbefore
likeneverbefore will become famous soon enough

Default Took a Aura GreenLine out for a test drive.

We got our 1st Aura GL in yesterday,

just got a chance to drive it today.

The 4 cyl and 4 speed auto is NOT a bad combo. I drive a turbo Volvo so most cars feel somewhat slow to me, but with the Aura being a Mild hybrid, The Hybrid system acts more like a supercharger. From a stand still the acceleration is a lot like the XE. A Little slow off the line but good once the Electric kicks in. The 4 speed auto is very very smooth almost CVT like. The 2.4 is a tad bit noisy but then what 4 cyl is quite

The Ride and handling is a TAD bit softer then the XE. Mainly because the GL uses EPS. It does make very easy to park and drive in the city.

The EPA mileage is
28 city 35 Highway.

The GL that I drove stickered at Just over $23,000. try getting a Honda Accord or Camry Hybrid for that price.

it even came fully loaded with auto HVAC, Power seat and Stability Control.

All in all, I think that we will sell every GL we can get our hands on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to likeneverbefore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help likeneverbefore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
likeneverbefore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: Took a Aura GreenLine out for a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeneverbefore View Post
We got our 1st Aura GL in yesterday,

just got a chance to drive it today.

The 4 cyl and 4 speed auto is NOT a bad combo. I drive a turbo Volvo so most cars feel somewhat slow to me, but with the Aura being a Mild hybrid, The Hybrid system acts more like a supercharger. From a stand still the acceleration is a lot like the XE. A Little slow off the line but good once the Electric kicks in. The 4 speed auto is very very smooth almost CVT like. The 2.4 is a tad bit noisy but then what 4 cyl is quite

The Ride and handling is a TAD bit softer then the XE. Mainly because the GL uses EPS. It does make very easy to park and drive in the city.

The EPA mileage is
28 city 35 Highway.

The GL that I drove stickered at Just over $23,000. try getting a Honda Accord or Camry Hybrid for that price.

All in all, I think that we will sell every GL we can get our hands on.
I felt the same way when I bought mine. A little weak off the line, but once you're rolling, it's not bad at all. On the other hand I haven't driven the XE or XR to make any comparisons. And I know what you mean about most cars feeling slower than your normal one... I came from a 300hp V8 Audi, and the wife's Trailblazer has the 5.3 V8.

But I do like the fact that you get Stabilitrak (which you can't get on the XE, and the head curtain airbags (which are part of an $1100+ option on the VUE GL), plus the Auto climate, etc. all standard on the GL. Especially when there are only two options available anyway, the Preferred pkg (8-way seat, steering wheel controls, heated power mirrors) and the sunroof. I didn't even really notice the EPS, much less find it objectionable in any way, as some others have.

If you (or anyone else) ever talk with any of the engineers, see what they say about the regular vs premium issue. The spec sheet for the 2.4 (LAT) says that premium is "recommended but not required". I imagine it would be a bit peppier and I wonder if the mileage would improve enough to offset the extra cost of the fuel.

Now before I open up that whole flame fest: Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that all cars make more power on premium- quite the opposite. MOST cars don't do any better, and you just throw the extra money away. And if they "require" premium, you can get away with cheap stuff because the computer will detect the knock, and retard timing, etc. at the cost of a decrease in power and MPG.

Anyway, I digress- the fact that they say "recommended", leads me to believe the computer will up the power if it can, otherwise just run the "normal" map.

Good luck with the sales, I'm sure you'll sell them all. Mine was the only one in the whole Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Cary), and they only have 2-3 more on order. Apparently they won't be getting many since it was introduced so late in the model year, and its about time to start up the '08s. I really wanted Ocean Mist, but Bronzed Pewter is very nice too, and I didn't want to wait, or take the chance of not getting one at all.

Last edited by zielinab; 05-25-2007 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: mistyped a $ figure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeneverbefore View Post
Two of those three it comes with standard.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

We need more people to say "My 4 cylinder is good enough, make more and stop making so many +250HP 6s. They're wasteful."

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

I mentioned this in another post, but we received our first AURA GL (it takes a while for us on the good coast, I mean West coast (j/k) to get ours) and it sold a day and a half later. I still haven't driven one.

We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Yep, ours also came in yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. As much as I am a HP and handling junky (drive 575HP GTO and BMW Z4 roadster) I found little to dislike in the Aura Greenline. Too bad we only got one. I think this will be much better received sales wise than the VUE GL for increased comfort, gas mileage and safety, if less overall utility.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

You know whats funny? We've had a significant increase in sales in of the GL VUE recently.

Ah, but the best time of the year is here: 0% shoppers looking to buy FWD
V6 VUEs that don't exist......3rd time I've gone through this. This time of year, V6 FWD VUEs are worth more than gold.

We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
likeneverbefore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
Yep, ours also came in yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. As much as I am a HP and handling junky (drive 575HP GTO and BMW Z4 roadster) I found little to dislike in the Aura Greenline. Too bad we only got one. I think this will be much better received sales wise than the VUE GL for increased comfort, gas mileage and safety, if less overall utility.

Yeah, we only got one too

thats all we get for '07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help likeneverbefore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
dvam
dvam is on a distinguished road

Is there very much electric assist with the Aura GL? I thought the "hybrid" aspect of the Aura GL was limited to the engine shutting down when the car is at rest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dvam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dvam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dvam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
likeneverbefore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvam View Post
Is there very much electric assist with the Aura GL? I thought the "hybrid" aspect of the Aura GL was limited to the engine shutting down when the car is at rest.
It acts just like a supercharger when the car is in motion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just heard from a reliable source that the G-6 is about to be sold in a Hybrid version. It may get up to 36mpg hwy. They are already test building them.

Wonder if they will sell it in a coupe or convertable version? That would stand out.

Former Saturn salesperson...love the cars, hated the boss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertburns3 View Post
I just heard from a reliable source that the G-6 is about to be sold in a Hybrid version. It may get up to 36mpg hwy. They are already test building them.

Wonder if they will sell it in a coupe or convertable version? That would stand out.
Makes sense, since they're going to be offering the 08 Malibu in both 4cyl and BAS hybrid versions. Wonder if that gives more weight to the theory that Aura will be getting a non-hybrid 4cyl base model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
hyperlexis
hyperlexis is on a distinguished road

I have test driven three of them so far at dealers in the area. Speed and handling are ok, not stellar, but not horrible either. Perfectly fine for normal city driving or highway cruising. The tall gearing does leave something to be desired. BUT I do have two complaints about the car: My major complaint deals mostly with aesthetics -- the seat fabric, like the non-hybrid Auras is a very slick, polyester/plastic-like feeling material, and is pretty washed out in color. Also, the seats themselves could have ben more deeply padded. A flagship sedan should offer leather, synthetic leather (i.e., Passat) or a thicker, more richly textured fabric package for the seats. This one reminded me of the cheap seats/fabric in the Malibu. Also, all the GLs I have seen locally have all been basic silver or grey. The dealers told me they were getting only what GM was giving, so I couldn't custom order a GL (I want the dark blue or the black) until later in the year or after 2008. I wish GREEN were available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hyperlexis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hyperlexis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hyperlexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlexis View Post
...I wish GREEN were available.

No green at all in the Aura lineup. Too bad. I think the current Cypress green would look great on an Aura.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
acman
acman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC1

Is the Aura GreenLine available with a 5 (or 6) speed manual tranmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by acman View Post
Is the Aura GreenLine available with a 5 (or 6) speed manual tranmission?
Nope, just a 4-speed auto.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
pinyon
pinyon is on a distinguished road

The interior and creature comforts are why I did not wait for the GL I really wanted to try one out but when it became obvious that the nice leather interiors and options packages would not be available I bought an XR. I know not everyone wants it, but you can at least get leather in a Camry hybrid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pinyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pinyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pinyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #18
TexJer78
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinyon View Post
The interior and creature comforts are why I did not wait for the GL I really wanted to try one out but when it became obvious that the nice leather interiors and options packages would not be available I bought an XR. I know not everyone wants it, but you can at least get leather in a Camry hybrid.
I wonder why they took out all the options. May'be it is so they could cut costs so that they could say it is the lowest priced hybrid!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TexJer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TexJer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TexJer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

I think more to the fact that taking out the options will save some weight in such an underpowered car.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
TexJer78
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates2b View Post
I think more to the fact that taking out the options will save some weight in such an underpowered car.
Do leather seats really add that much weight?!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TexJer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TexJer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TexJer78 is offline   Reply With Quote