SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
MidnightBlueXR
MidnightBlueXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Aura on HP Tuners supported vehicles list

From the HP Tuners site:

The VCM Editor utility is a comprehensive VCM/PCM programmer and parameter editor. VCM Editors Flash utility allows the user to read the VCM/PCM flash memory and save it to a binary file. The Flash utility allows a valid calibration to be written to the VCM/PCM and also incorporates an automatic VCM/PCM recovery capabilities for ultimate protection against any reflashing problems that may be encountered.

The VCM Editor also allows modification of the saved binary image. The VCM Editor allows all parameters such as Spark, Fuel, RPM Limits, FAN Temps, Transmission Shift points and pressures, Speedometer settings and many, many more. The editor provides an easy to use graphical interface and many powerful table manipulation capabilities such as copying, scaling and shifting to name a few.

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

The Australians have the same 3.6 engine as the Aura XR in the Holden Commodore (they call it the Alloytec 190...190kw=255hp) and they are squeezing out an extra 20+ horsepower at the wheels with this software with no other modifications.

I am definately going to look into this.

http://www.castlehillexhaust.com.au/alloytec-tuning.php

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightBlueXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightBlueXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightBlueXR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Andy07xr
Andy07xr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura on HP Tuners supported vehicles list

this looks very interesting. I'm going to keep an eye out for this stuff. If someone does it, let me know. I just don't understand all the stuff on their website about having to have credits for everything. To me it looks like even if you just buy it for yourself you have to use credits every time you want to make a change. That doesn't seem right to me. Coming from a Subaru where I had a tuner that could be plugged in and maps could be swapped with ease. No credit BS like this is talking about. I can see that it set up more for tuner shops to buy one unit to tune multiple cars and that part makes since, but if I buy one I want to be able to change the maps when ever I want and as many times as I want without having to pay them more money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andy07xr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andy07xr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andy07xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
bosco
bosco is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Aura on HP Tuners supported vehicles list

MidnightBlueXR, you answered my question! I will give these boys downunder a call.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bosco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bosco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
SBCHAMPS
SBCHAMPS is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Should be available for US soon.
From HP Tuners' website:

Holden "Alloytec" V6 engine support
In another industry first for HP Tuners, we bring tuning and scanning support for the Holden "Alloytec" V6 vehicles. This new V6 engine controller has proven tough to beat, but after a successful beta test period we are ready for public release. Many tuners are seeing great torque, power and driveability gains on these engines and the market can finally develop for intake and exhaust mods to these engines. With VCM Suite enabling tuners to unleash the power gains for these traditional mods, the more exotic setups are not far away. We look forward to the coming months!! Support for US vehicle calibrations are in development right now, so our US customers won't have to wait much longer - watch the website for beta announcements for US vehicles.

07 Saturn Aura XR
06 Trailblazer SS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SBCHAMPS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SBCHAMPS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SBCHAMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
DV8
DV8 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

hopefully EFI Live won't be too much longer with their's. i've got more experience with EFI Live, a coworker is a beta-tester for them, and i'll have an extra vin license with the one for my camaro.

i've never messed with HP tuners though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DV8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DV8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I would be interested in the results you all obtain, but iIwould suggest not to expect too much of an increase in HP as the exhaust manifold shape in the Aura is very restrictive to exhaust gas flow and restricts the HP, the Outlook/Acadia uses basically the same engine, but as there is more room under the hood, it has a better breathing exhaust and consequently, more horsepower, or so I have read.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned View Post
I would be interested in the results you all obtain, but iIwould suggest not to expect too much of an increase in HP as the exhaust manifold shape in the Aura is very restrictive to exhaust gas flow and restricts the HP, the Outlook/Acadia uses basically the same engine, but as there is more room under the hood, it has a better breathing exhaust and consequently, more horsepower, or so I have read.
I hope you all like buying transmissions, because that will be the weakest link. Horsepower is being restricted to protect the tranny. If the 3.6 is anyway like the now old 3.8's, there was at least 20% left to be had just from tuning alone.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Tweaking the tables for maximum HP usually means your car will require premium fuel as well. I'm very interested in hearing more about this.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
I hope you all like buying transmissions, because that will be the weakest link. Horsepower is being restricted to protect the tranny. If the 3.6 is anyway like the now old 3.8's, there was at least 20% left to be had just from tuning alone.
I suspect the engine was limited to match the cheap-a** tires they put on the XR. If I'm not mistaken, the 3.6/6 speed combo is used elsewhere without the low speed limit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Posted by DeMan
"I hope you all like buying transmissions, because that will be the weakest link. Horsepower is being restricted to protect the tranny. If the 3.6 is anyway like the now old 3.8's, there was at least 20% left to be had just from tuning alone."

I was under the impression that the Saturn outlook uses a 275 HP version of the same motor with the same 6 speed transmission, so it must be able to take some increase in the Aura also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's more or less the same powertrain in the Outlook and it's tuned to 275 hp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
MidnightBlueXR
MidnightBlueXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA XR
Wrench Re: Aura on HP Tuners supported vehicles list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned View Post
Posted by DeMan
"I hope you all like buying transmissions, because that will be the weakest link. Horsepower is being restricted to protect the tranny. If the 3.6 is anyway like the now old 3.8's, there was at least 20% left to be had just from tuning alone."

I was under the impression that the Saturn outlook uses a 275 HP version of the same motor with the same 6 speed transmission, so it must be able to take some increase in the Aura also.
Acording to GM's site:
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ns_051806.html

SPECIFICATIONS: HYDRA-MATIC 6T70 / 6T75
Aura 6T70 / Outlook 6T75
Maximum engine torque:
280 lb-ft (380 Nm) / 301 lb-ft (406 Nm)
Final drive ratio:
2.77 / 3.16:1
Maximum validated gross vehicle weight:
4850 lbs / 6384 lbs
Maximum shift speed:
1-2: 6800 rpm / 1-2: 6800 rpm
2-3: 6800 rpm / 2-3: 6800 rpm
3-4: 6800 rpm / 3-4: 6800 rpm
Final drive ratio:
2.77 / 3.16:1
Fluid type:
DEXRONŽ VI / DEXRONŽ VI

I think the Aura could likely gain another 28 lb-ft of torque from 252 stock to 280 with the following upgrades:
Cold Air Intake: 3-4 lb-ft
Cat-Back Exhaust: 8-10 lb-ft
Dyno Tune on 91 Octane: 12-14 lb-ft
Total gain 23-28 lb-ft

Too bad GM didn't put the 6T75 in the Aura but with a 6th gear ratio of 0.63:1 like the Tremec T-56 6-speed manual. It would have given better acceleration the first 5 gears and the same highway mileage in 6th.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightBlueXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightBlueXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightBlueXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
24UGTOinFL
24UGTOinFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy07xr View Post
I just don't understand all the stuff on their website about having to have credits for everything. To me it looks like even if you just buy it for yourself you have to use credits every time you want to make a change. That doesn't seem right to me. Coming from a Subaru where I had a tuner that could be plugged in and maps could be swapped with ease. No credit BS like this is talking about. I can see that it set up more for tuner shops to buy one unit to tune multiple cars and that part makes since, but if I buy one I want to be able to change the maps when ever I want and as many times as I want without having to pay them more money.
I'm here researching an Aura XR for my GF. My ride is a GTO and it's been on HPTuner's list for a while. Thought I'd help you out...or at least try.

Buying HP Tuners gets you the tuning software, a hardware cable, and 8 credits. For most vehicles it costs 2 credits to register a single, specific ECM. In general, once the ECM is registered with the cable you can modify the parameters of that particular ECM as many times as you would like without needing to apply any additional credits. There are times when additional credits may be needed but that is a more advanced discussion and would not apply to 99% of HPTuners users.

If you want to tune a second car, you use another 2 credits. With HPTuners you CANNOT "de-tune" the car, get the 2 credits back, and apply them to another car. Once credits are used for a specific ECM, those 2 credits are permanently associated with that ECM (with one caveat...see below). Also, credits are married to the hardware cable that you get when you purchase the package.

If you wanted to be able to tune any year/model of car (all 2004 GTOs, for example) you can apply 6 of the 8 credits and tune an unlimited number of that type of vehicle. A different year would be a different license (that is, being able to tune all 2005 GTOs would require another 6 credits). I think you can also purchase a license that would allow you to tune an unlimited number of a particular engine family (all LS1 V8s, for example). IIRC, that costs 12 credits.

If you run out of credits you can purchase more for $50/credit. The caveat mentioned above is that when you decide to go for an unlimited license, HPTuners gives you _some_ credit back for any of the individual cars that would be covered with the unlimited license. So, if you have licensed two 2004 GTO ECMs and then decide you want to unlock ALL 2004 GTOs, you get 3/4 of the credits back on the 2 that you've already tuned. So, if you've already licensed two 2004 GTOs, it would only cost an additional 3 credits to license ALL 2004 GTOs.

I used 2004 GTOs as examples simply because I know the credit costs associated with it. HPTuners has, in the past, required a higher credit cost when a new family of cars/engines is released. For instance, when they finally released support for LS2 GTOs it initally cost 4 credits to tune a single vehicle. It is now at 2 credits. The V6 in the XR may or may not start out higher than 2 credits/vehicle.

HTH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 24UGTOinFL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 24UGTOinFL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
24UGTOinFL is offline   Reply With Quote