SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
3.8TransAM
3.8TransAM is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Dogbones and Trans mounts, my notes

Easy as pie.

If u have a brain and any type of mechanical aptitude, this should take you 2-3 hours for all 4 mounts.

I did mine in about 1.5hr never doing them on a Saturn before.

I wouldnt worry much about getting the cheapie aftermarket mounts/dogbones or the saturn ones, unless your a stickler or plan on keeping the car for a long long time. (face it, they are just about worthless and they all burn oil lol) I did notice a decent difference when comparing the aftermarket parts to the stockers though, worn to heck they may be. But since its low budget and beater it got the cheapies.

Take out the air snorkel, battery and battery tray (note the tray wont come out cause there are two bolts for it accessible with a 10mm in the fenderwell)

Once thats out of the way, unbolt the trans side dogbone(visible under the tray)

Place jack under trans and use a board on top of it and apply enough pressure to barely load the trans

Remove the 15mm nut accessible thru the bottom of the subframe on the drvr side for the trans mount. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the mount to the trans.(accessible just above the subframe in frt of the axles)

Slighlty jack up trans more until the mount pops freely out.

Install new mount and reverse procedure to reinstall.

Unbolt the other end of the trans dogbone and replace.

Tighten/torque everything on that side and take the jack with the board and put it under the oil pan and again, slighlty load it.

Unbolt the two top studs holding the top engine mount to the body.

Go back underneath and remove both 13mm bolts holding the lower dogbone on the pass side of the car(located under/between crank pulley and rack: turn the frt tire and remove the frt half of the wheelwell liner)

Raise the jack as necessary to slide it out of the mounting points and replace. Install the new one same way the old one comes out.

Remove the top engine mount engine side bolts and replace the mount.

Lower the engine and install the lower dogbone bolts and make sure the upper engine mount sits down onto the body correctly.

Tighten both to spec and your all done.

If something doesnt fit right, make sure u installed it the right way. Also if the bolt holes dont line up, u might have to push on the engine or trans to get the bolt started.

All 4 mounts in under 2 hours in the drive way, using jacks, jackstands and no air tools.(actually drained the tranny fluid again while i was doing the rest)

The more I fix, the more I'm enjoying the little beater, wonder when how much is too much kicks in lol.

It should make your car quieter and more responsive. It wil seem faster too. These wimpy engines need all the help they can get and wasted power torqueing the engine and trans over is really noticeable once you have replaced previoulsy destroyed mounts.

Less rattles, less shaking, only bad part about it is spending like $150 on mounts even going the cheap route ugggh.

later
Jeremy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3.8TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3.8TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Dogbones and Trans mounts, my notes

Saturns are the only FWD cars I've ever seen that don't have a front mount (except 91 of course). Sure the side mounts hold the motor in but they seem to flex a lot putting the power to the road. I find myself wondering if they're underengineered and wear out quicker than other cars.

New mounts= much fun especially with a stick shift.

PS incidentally you made the lower tranny mount sound like cake even with the 2 inches of stud that sticks through the subframe that requires much jacking to gain clearance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Well, isn't the dog-bone going from the tranny to the front end considered a "front mount"? I've owned FWD cars since '82, and I've never seen one with any mount that ties the top of the engine to the front end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

This is a lower front engine mount on my 95 prizm. It's pretty typical for japanese and korean 4-cylinder transverse FWD cars I've seen.

If you look on the tranny side of a saturn, you have the lower subframe mount then the dogbone only a foot higher. This doesn't provide much anti-twisting support against the torque of the powertrain. The front mount I wish saturns had is further out from the center of rotation and therefore sturdier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
I've owned FWD cars since '82, and I've never seen one with any mount that ties the top of the engine to the front end.
Never opened the hood of an 87 Buick Regal or an 89 Olds Cutlass Supreme have you? They both have 2 on the front, but I almost think they are the only mounts other then the subframe ones. I believe the 93/94 Cutlass Supreme also had top front engine mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Rat407
Rat407 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

The front mount on my 91 jetta diesel is right in the middle of the engine/transmission in the front. Also those mounts are not cheap either. They are considered hydraulic mounts. I can say that if the mounts in the jetta are gone you can't stay in the car due to the vibration. Heck even with new mounts the engine still twists a far amount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rat407's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rat407 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rat407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
3.8TransAM
3.8TransAM is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino

PS incidentally you made the lower tranny mount sound like cake even with the 2 inches of stud that sticks through the subframe that requires much jacking to gain clearance.

It was cake, do exactly as I say in the instructions and its easy as 1-2-3.

Yank the battery tray and associated junk out and unbolt the trans/front dogbone and support the trans with a jack and a board. Whats hard about it?
One 15mm and two 10mm later with 2-3 pumps on the jack to raise the trans and the mount falls out. Stuff the new one in push the trans over a little to line it up and drop it down and bolt in place. There is nothing hard about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3.8TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3.8TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
tmaugham
tmaugham is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1997 SW2

Was this a manual or auto tranny?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tmaugham's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tmaugham reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tmaugham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

2 front top mounts on all 3200, 3800 and 3800SC Pontiac series motors, IE Grand am's, Grand Prix's, Bonneville's etc..

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote