SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

Wrench Changing A/T Fluid and Filter

Hayne's book says you can get the filter off from below,I don't think so!
I followed the owners manual procedure.{BTW,the owners handbook is loaded with "how to's"}.I removed the air cleaner assy and resonator on the 1995 SL2 my brother just got.
Someone put a nasty FRAM thing in there,I bought this really sharp lookin' red SATURN filter from the retailer @$11.
I put the car on ramps with the fluid already heated up.I removed the plug and let the fluid drain for like 5 min.Looks like there was almost 5 quarts in the darn thing!
Then I carefully removed the Orange FRAM filter with a strap wrench watching out for the sensor and hoses in that area.The tranny fluid WILL come out of the filter and slide down the tranny case,but it still lands in the pan and is easy to clean up after.
I think I saw the grey magnet doughnut.It apperaed to be stuck to the tranny,I tried to pull it out to examine it,but it's in good 'n tight I guess.I then spun on the new filter BY HAND 1 1/4 turns after contacting the base of the mount on the tranny. I installed a brand new drain plug and gasket from the retailer $2.Torqued to 22Lbs. ft.
I added 4 quarts of Dextron III through a funnel via the dipstick tube.
Question:it calls for 4.2 quarts,I added 4 quarts only.
What's .2 quarts equal to in ounces,and is the level going to be ok,or is 4 quarts in sufficiant?
Overall,it's not hard to do.Just don't be cheap and spring for the nice red Satty filter.BTW,it's NOT made by FRAM like their oil filters are..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
coliphage
coliphage is on a distinguished road

For your question, I would say don't worry about that .2 quart.
Just check the ATF level tomorrow to see if it is ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coliphage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coliphage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

.2 (2/10ths) of a quart is equal to about 7 onces. Go by the dipstick. If it's in the "cross hatch marks" warmed up and running in PARK, you are fine.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

That dipstick seems hard to read.Never seems to read the same thing twice!
I think I'll kick in the 7 oz to be safe.
What's that ECTS looking thing do that sits near the filter,is it indeed the same part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by auxmike
What's that ECTS looking thing do that sits near the filter,is it indeed the same part?
TTS (Transaxle {fluid} Temperature Sensor) You guessed it, IDENTICAL part to the ECTS, BUT, the resin tipped version survives much better swimming in petroleum based transaxle fluid than coolant. TTS are trouble free for the most part unless damaged during filter replacement.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing A/T Fluid and Filter

how can you change all the fluid,at home? can you just disconnect a line, turn on the car and let it run out, at least for a few seconds?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Remove the 15mm drain plug from the bottom of the transmission and remove the filter. You don't want to be removing lines and running the engine. Lots of higher pressure fluid with lots of volume.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

what if i still attempt to do it this way, will i damage anything? i want to get the most out in one shot. it would be for about 2-4 seconds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Draining the fluid from the drain and changing the filter gets out the better part of 4.5 quarts. Close to half the fluid in the trans. Pulling a line for 2-4 seconds will not get out that much. Doing it longer will get out more but it will also run the trans oil pump dry.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
ud503j
ud503j is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2

For anybody that is interested, transmission filters for our S-Cars are as follows:

AC Delco: TF-298 (I think the Saturn parts are marked as Saturn but have the same no.)

Wix: (which is what I swear by) 57101

ATC: (Most commonly available at Discount/Advanced) FK243

Just so that everyone knows.

1997 SW2 --> 'Vi'
g/f's 2002 SL2 --> 'Raven'

R4V3n SP33D's boytoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ud503j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ud503j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave
what if i still attempt to do it this way, will i damage anything? i want to get the most out in one shot. it would be for about 2-4 seconds.

Do it, it'll give you an excuse for manual swap later on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #12
96GSL1
96GSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave
how can you change all the fluid,at home? can you just disconnect a line, turn on the car and let it run out, at least for a few seconds?
I actually used to change my Taurus SHO's tranny fluid this way. I would dis-connect one of the lines to the tranny cooler (not the radiator connections - but they may work), and aim the hose towards a gallon jug. Start the car and let the transmission pump a gallon's worth of fluid out. Shut 'er off, pop the hose back on, and fill with a gallon of ATF. Great way to keep the fluid fresh.

Of course, that tranny held like, 12 quarts..

96 SL1 202k
98 Windstar 123k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96GSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96GSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
strod
strod is on a distinguished road

It's about time I did this. I live in a fairly rural area so I did an online search before driving all over the place for no reason. No problem finding filters, but with 'major' parts stores and Walmart...nothing 'returned' on fluid(s)?? Anyone purchased through a source other than a Saturn (or GM) retailer?
BTW, to my further surprise, I see 2-3 brands listed on the Walgreen's site.

Thanks,
Mick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread