SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
ATLVue
ATLVue is on a distinguished road

Wrench Removing the Plastic Console Around the Stock VUE Radio

I could use a good step by step "How to" for removing the plastic console around the stock radio. I will be installing a LCD screen soon, as others on this site have done, and would appreciate the help.

We also need to get a thread running where new "How to's" could be posted...or maybe it already exists?

(I will be installing side mounted turn signals once the ones I ordered get off backorder. I will post pictures and comments once I begin.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ATLVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ATLVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
SQVue
Advanced Member
SQVue is on a distinguished road

pull up the trim with the window switches from the end closest to you, it will pop up, then pop up the front part, now disconnect the right side wires, put into drive, swing the trim over the shifter, disconnect the left side plugs, set trim aside, now, the small pocket below the hvac knobs, has four phillips screws, remove those, be carefull not to drop them inside the console. put car into drive again, and pull pocket out, now, gently pull the bottom of the large dash piece toward you, you will feel it pop out, now pull on the sides about where the "VUE" logo is, the whole thing should be able to move towards you, now start with unpluging the hvac knobs, start by turning the a/c to the coldest position, so it's to the left the furthest it can go, now pinch the legs on the plug and it should come off, this is geared so make sure your hvac knob is where you want it to be before you re-connect it, now unplug all the other hvac plugs. after that, pull it more toward you, on the left side disconnect the hazard light. move to the right side and disconnect the fog light, if you have it. then get into the middle and remove the illumination plug. put car into lowest gear, and set dash piece aside. presto, you have two 7mm bolts holding in your radio, your set to intall. anymore questions, please e-mail me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SQVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SQVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #3
DejaVUE
DejaVUE is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Edit: Dang! You beat me to it, Madbeatz... I'm leaving mine here anyway

1) Pop the trim loose around the shift lever. It's just held in by clips. Unclip the wire connectors from the window switches, power outlet, and power mirror switch. If you have a manual transmission, the shift boot comes free by unclipping the two rear clips and sliding the front one out. If you have an auto, you'll have to ask someone else how to get the shifter mechanism itsself free.

2) There are four screws around the console cubby tray below the climate controls that are accessable once you have the shifter trim loose. Remove those, and the tray can be removed.

3) Turn the temp dial to the extreme left or right (so that when you reinstall the cable it's positioned the same way it was when you removed it)

4) The trim around the stereo is held in by clips alone, once you've removed the four aforementioned screws. There are two clips at the top, and I believe two on either side. Just pull it straight back and you'll release the clips. Then all you have to do is release the cable for the temperature control knob and all of the wire connectors for the switchgear mounted to that trim (hazard switch, dimmer switch, fog lamp or traction control switch, and two on the climate control panel.

It's really a pretty simple operation. I have it down to about 2 minutes flat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DejaVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DejaVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
SQVue
Advanced Member
SQVue is on a distinguished road

autos dont require any messing around to get the trim off, just pop it into drive or lower to get the trim off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SQVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SQVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
canuck_vue
canuck_vue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to's...

We also need to get a thread running where new "How to's" could be posted...or maybe it already exists?

-that's a really good idea...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canuck_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canuck_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
ATLVue
ATLVue is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help madbeatz and DejaVUE. I am hoping to get started on this possibly this weekend.

canuck vue, maybe we could even convince the folks in charge of the website to open a "How to" section (not forum) broken down into subsections for each Saturn Model?! Then everyone could submit Step by Step Guides for the "mods" they have tried and learned from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ATLVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ATLVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 AM   #7
congruentmocha
congruentmocha is on a distinguished road

Will these instructions work on a 2004 vue awd automatic? I attempted to just pull the console from the area that it meets the windshield downward and it almost worked! Also..I am installing a double din head unit in the area...any known issues to installing the larger head units?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to congruentmocha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help congruentmocha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:42 PM   #8
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Those directions sound exactly like what I've done 3 times in the last week on my V6 '04. I had to install a new mounting kit from metra (part 99-3106) for my Sony head unit, and it comes with the cd cubby below the HU. If you are going aftermarket, I can just about promise you that you will need mounting (and probably wiring hardware), but beware, the wiring kits listed on metra's site for the '03 Ion (closest thing to a Vue) didn't work in my '04 w/ the base cd player, the thing fits, but it's got a notch/key in a different place than the slot so it starts to go in, then stops halfway. I was pissed. I had to cut and splice, oh well. An hour of my life I can't get back.

This dash is pretty easy to take apart, pretty smart design, I just wish we didn't have to go bottom up. Oh, and be very careful about dropping screws, I lost one in the center console and I can NOT find that thing. On the bright side, it's not rolling around making noise.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
LB_BlueVue
LB_BlueVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by SQVue
now start with unpluging the hvac knobs, start by turning the a/c to the coldest position, so it's to the left the furthest it can go, now pinch the legs on the plug and it should come off, this is geared so make sure your hvac knob is where you want it to be before you re-connect it, now unplug all the other hvac plugs.
I've followed your directions before, and the only thing I would add is that I found it easier to put the cold/hot knob to the top center position, as once it's disconnected, the knob can turn competely freely, so center is actually easier to find during the reinstall...
Oh, and mind the bracket that the hazard button mounts to.. it's made with pointy ends that break easily.

P.S.- There's a whole forum of How-To's :
How-To Forum

LB_BlueVue

Silver '05 FWD V6 Automatic
Replaced Blue '03 FWD I4 VTi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LB_BlueVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LB_BlueVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #10
mazzmn
mazzmn is on a distinguished road

Default Pictures

Here are some Pics to go along with these instructions
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...urnVueStrR.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mazzmn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mazzmn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #11
3point14
3point14 is on a distinguished road

I have step-by-step pictures that I took a while back. When I get done today (around 10pm) I will try and get them to anyone who needs them. Just send me an e-mail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3point14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3point14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 01:43 PM   #12
mazzmn
mazzmn is on a distinguished road

Default wiring harness and stereo kit numbers

For the record, an install kit number that will work for a 2004 VUE is Scosche GMT2049, purchased at Walmart for 9.97.
The kit itself does not list 2004 VUEs, BUT the book used to look up the correct kit and wiring harness did list this as supporting 2004 VUEs...Also important to note there are 2 tabs that snap in that have Saturn stamped on them...these tabs push the kit up flush with the dash

The wiring harness for the 2004 VUE is different than earlier years.
When I got my wiring harness, BestBuy sold me the 2000& up harness which was the wrong model (ie they recommended the wrong harness - Metra 20-2002)
After returning that and ordering from Crutchfield, I found the right version is Metra #70-2102.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mazzmn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mazzmn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread