SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Squiir3ly_joe
Squiir3ly_joe is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default SL2 standard transmission problems

Hey everyone, pretty sure this is my first post on here, but I've spent hours on here researching and learning about my car. I bought a 1999 SL2 about two years ago, and it's been awesome. No major problems, and i love driving it.

About six months ago, it got where it would kick out of second, and eventually, fourth gear while driving. Turned out to be a bad shifter bushing, which i learned is a common problem. Bought a a delrin bushing and endloop from saturnbushingman (great service btw) and it's been 10x better since. No issues, and it shifts a lot smoother.

Well I was leaving work a couple of days ago, and it came out of second again. And over the past couple of days, it has been intermittently kicking out of second; sometimes it does and others it doesn't. It stays in every other gear fine. I did some searching on here, and i have yet to find anything similar to this? Transmission fluid is fresh and full, so I'm wondering if it's the shifter cables maybe? I just broke 200k on the odo, and I'm willing to wager it has the original cables still. I know they stretch and wear over time, so my question is: should i chance buying new cables for $200? I hate to buy new cables if it's something internal like an input shaft, you know? This is my daily driver and i really don't have the time nor money to drop a transmission right now. If anyone has had a similar problem or can shed some insight i would GREATLY appreciate it. Sorry for the long post also

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squiir3ly_joe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squiir3ly_joe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squiir3ly_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: SL2 standard transmission problems

Welcome to the forums! My '99 has its original cables and they are still good. There is a pin that wears on the shift tower. Not too hard to spin it 90 degrees and it costs nothing. You will need to make a new gasket. You also have to pull the battery and intake tube to get to it.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=70

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I don't think new cables are what you need, just yet. However, if you do end up going that route, be aware that aftermarket cables are regarded to be vastly inferior. Find a set at the bone yard.
I have the same issue in 1st and 3rd, but it is due to the replacement rubber boot cable I installed.
Waiex191, you are *so* awesome for posting those (and many other) photos, very helpful to me to see this stuff.

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Yep aftermarket cables are junk

https://forum.sixthsphere.com/forum/...p-shift-cables

https://forum.sixthsphere.com/forum/...e-poor-quality

You're better off w/ junkyard OEM that have been sitting in the rain for 20 years.

Also consider replacing the shift tower. I've had one wear out on me.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote