SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line
Default Possible leaking heater core?

What is the easiest way to determine this? I have to top off my coolant about once a year(still green) and I don't see any visible leaks anywhere. However now that it's cold again I recall when I turn on the heat it smells sweet like coolant. Would this be the heater core? I do not smell it on full cold/AC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Possible leaking heater core?

Do you not use the car very much, only a few miles a week?

If you only have to top it off once a year, I would leave it alone until AND IF something were to really develop a leak.

Still GREEN you say, must have been changed from the factory Orange DexCool at some point in your cars life.

Heater core replacement is a real chore ... most car manufacturers seemingly start with the core, and then build the entire vehicle around it.

Seriously, once a year is not something I would be concerned with. I have had vehicles (some core issues, most not though) that needed top-ups daily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

I drive around 450 miles per week maybe more. My thing is I'm thinking it might only leak while I'm using heat since thats the only time I smell it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #4
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

The heater core in an S series is hands down the easiest heater core I have ever changed. A novice should be able to do it in two-three hours. The absolute hardest part is getting to the clamp hoses just forward of the firewall and that's just because they are installed with the tangs pointed down. After you reinstall them with the tangs pointing up, it really is a piece of cake.

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
The heater core in an S series is hands down the easiest heater core I have ever changed. A novice should be able to do it in two-three hours. The absolute hardest part is getting to the clamp hoses just forward of the firewall and that's just because they are installed with the tangs pointed down. After you reinstall them with the tangs pointing up, it really is a piece of cake.

Agreed. But don't tell the civillians...

I got my 02 SC2 cheap - because the kid knew the heater core was leakibg and thought it was a horrible job....

Of course he just put in a bunch of air fresheners and didn't bother to disclose it....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Don't ya just love people like that? I've dealt with a few myself.

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sl1blue View Post
I drive around 450 miles per week maybe more. My thing is I'm thinking it might only leak while I'm using heat since thats the only time I smell it.
Coolant flows through the heater core at all times when the engine is running, so the core itself was leaking, it is always leaking. you might only smell it at certain times because it is a very slow / small leak, and you only get it when the flap diverts air through the heater core to warm it up. I would check elsewhere for leaks first because the heater core is the only internal part - everything else in the system is external. It is a small leak so will be hard to spot.

This is the How To with pics in case that is your problem.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150968

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote