SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Exhaust leaks

OldNuc has mentioned, many times, how important it is to eliminate exhaust leaks when trying to pass smog testing. Here is a recent example of how crucial that can be:

I took my '95 SL2 (CA emissions, electric EGR) in Tues. and it was very clean on everything but NOX at 25 mph. That was a whopping 841 ppm with the max allowable being 774 and "average" being 270. Even the NOX at 15 mph was low, only 27 ppm. So, I took it home and hooked up a blower to the tailpipe and found a leak at the gasket between the exhaust manifold and down-pipe. I sealed that and took it back for testing today with no other changes. The NOX at 25 mph is now 6, and at 15 mph it dropped to 5. This engine is an "oil burner" with 260K miles.

PS: I just noticed that the HC about doubled when the leak was fixed; still well under even the "average", though. CO remained the same at .01%

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Exhaust leaks

Thank you for the information.

My Saturn failed the test (CA) on Monday due to the HC being 71 (15mph) so the spark plugs and wires were changed out and the HC lowered to 54 so she passed.

My NO dropped after the change in plugs from 61 to 37, so maybe I should have my exhaust inspected for any small leak, just in case.

My Saturn had 218,121 at the time of the test.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote