SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #21
PrestonIII
PrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Re: What's the " best" year S-series?

LOL, this obviously isn't a popular opinion, but I prefer the first generation cars, specifically the 1994.

I love the outer body style looks of the 1st gen. And I much prefer the 91-94 dash style over the 1995 style dash. (that square front radio means any GM radio can be plugged in too - I have a late 90's Pontiac CD player in my car).

I chose 1994, because one hopes that they've gotten all the glitches out that a new model starts up with (as in the '91's).

I've had a '94 SL1 stick, a '93 SL2 auto, and my current '94 SL2 HCE auto.

The front end looks a little like the 80's model Camaro's, and the side view has the wedge shape with a slight kick-up at the rear with the spoiler. And the rear end looks good too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PrestonIII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

And the 94 doesn't have the $!*&$@ automatic shoulder belts the earlier ones did.

Hate those.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #23
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

1995 SC2/SL2

The majority of super-high mileage Saturns are 1995 model years.

They have first-gen styling and 2nd Gen interiors.

Least amount of "problem items"(ex. Plastic valve covers).

Simplicity of OBD-I and no Death-Kill orange coolant.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #24
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
1995 SC2/SL2

The majority of super-high mileage Saturns are 1995 model years.

They have first-gen styling and 2nd Gen interiors.

Least amount of "problem items"(ex. Plastic valve covers).

Simplicity of OBD-I and no Death-Kill orange coolant.
My 1995 has death kill in it, had zero issues so far and its been about 100k miles and at least 8 years according to the PO's records. I just change it every year or so.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #25
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Why do you have an air pump? I don't have one on my 2000 SL2. Is your car California emissions instead of Federal?
You'll find air pumps in a limited number of 99 models and in most 2000 model year S Series. There were a small number of 2000 model year S Series that came without them and yours is likely one of those.

The auto manufactures were mandated to achieve certain levels of emissions standards on all cars built after January 1, 2000. Air pumps helped achieve those levels so any S Series manufactured after that date were equipped with air pumps.

The 99s with air pumps were mostly destined for California where the emission standards were put in place earlier.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #26
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
And the 94 doesn't have the $!*&$@ automatic shoulder belts the earlier ones did.

Hate those.
All the 94's were equipped with mouse belts. They were eliminated with the 95 model year. You could however retrofit 94 and earlier models with the 95 model seat belts. They bolted right in an you also needed to get certain trim pieces to complete the modification.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #27
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Mad Re: What's the " best" year S-series?

I must be getting senile... I parted out 2 94's and for yhe life of me don't remember the automatics... And - i could almost swear at least one had pass side airbag....

Well hell... My knees did go first... I guess it' inevitable...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #28
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

I believe the first generation cars were the lightest and yes, I do prefer the original body style. The 94 was probably the most reliable of these. I think the 91-92 SL-2 engine was the most powerful, though it's a bit of an oddity.

The most reliable car I've owned is my 97 SL-2. It's at 340K miles so far with only a starter as an emergent repair. Original engine and tranny. I'm working on a couple of 3rd gen cars and they seem as though GM beancounters got their hands into the design. They have the best paint jobs though - sun in the southwest really damages it.

It always amazes me that the twin cam is more reliable long term even though it's the more complex design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S-forever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S-forever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #29
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I must be getting senile... I parted out 2 94's and for yhe life of me don't remember the automatics... And - i could almost swear at least one had pass side airbag....

Well hell... My knees did go first... I guess it' inevitable...
Yes, airbags became standard on the drivers side for the 93 model year. The steering wheel changed from the iconic 3 spoke to a 4 spoke that actually was also used on the Lotus Esprit! It originated in the 91/92 Pontiac TransAm.

Pictures below....

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Last edited by trottida; 09-30-2019 at 02:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #30
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-forever View Post
I believe the first generation cars were the lightest and yes, I do prefer the original body style. The 94 was probably the most reliable of these. I think the 91-92 SL-2 engine was the most powerful, though it's a bit of an oddity.

The most reliable car I've owned is my 97 SL-2. It's at 340K miles so far with only a starter as an emergent repair. Original engine and tranny. I'm working on a couple of 3rd gen cars and they seem as though GM beancounters got their hands into the design. They have the best paint jobs though - sun in the southwest really damages it.

It always amazes me that the twin cam is more reliable long term even though it's the more complex design.
I believe there are actually less parts in a twin cam.

2 cams - but no rocker arms or pivot bar..

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #31
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I'm a fan of the the gen1 SC2. I like the graceful swoop of the side panels. On the other hand, they have pop-up headlights which are prone to breaking.

I own both a 2001 and 2002 SC2. These are my favorite as far as body style. But this is also the gen3 which is the beginning of the GMing of Saturn and it shows in some of the shortcuts they took in manufacturing. They changed the clutch in the gen3 to a much bouncier clutch. Fortunately, the gen2 clutch is interchangeable...

I have also owned a 99 SL which was probably the best car I've ever owned. It was reliable, easy to work on, and got phenomenal gas mileage. It could also hold a ton of stuff with the rear seats down. It was killed in a death match with a horse on a back country highway in Arizona.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #32
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post

The auto manufactures were mandated to achieve certain levels of emissions standards on all cars built after January 1, 2000. Air pumps helped achieve those levels so any S Series manufactured after that date were equipped with air pumps.
That'd odd. I associate air pumps with early emissions systems and California. That makes me think the 1.9L Saturn is dirtier than most engines... must be all the oil

Quote:
The 99s with air pumps were mostly destined for California where the emission standards were put in place earlier.
It's a different standard.... "California Emissions" rather than "Federal Emissions"... sometimes called "49 State Emissions". The engine in my truck is Federal, so it doesn't have the air pump the CA Emissions trucks got.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #33
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My '99 was bought in Connecticut. I wanted a base model SL2 with a manual. They had to import it from Massachusetts. It has an air pump but is clearly an East coast car. The system still works after 20 years and 222,000 miles. We did have to clear out the carbon in the exhaust manifold passage during the rebuild.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #34
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
My '99 was bought in Connecticut. I wanted a base model SL2 with a manual. They had to import it from Massachusetts. It has an air pump but is clearly an East coast car. The system still works after 20 years and 222,000 miles. We did have to clear out the carbon in the exhaust manifold passage during the rebuild.
Massachusetts is a state that uses California emissions so it probably would have one. Thy're defiantly not as strict as California though so I'm not totally sure how it works.

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles