SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #121
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2
Default Re: Dumbest Unintentional Thing You've Done To Your Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Reminded me of this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img87/4149/mu...otivaticg2.jpg

never thought FWD could do that though...
He spun not from torque, but from the car's momentum trying to lift it off the ground

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #122
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

OK, another employee was installing some kind of locking device on this Chevy step van.
I had a business appointment so left 'Larry' drilling away on an inside door panel.
About 3 hours later, I came back. 'Larry' was still in the same position, altho heavily sweating.
I said 'What's up, troubles?"
He says he has used up every drill bit he could find and still had not gotten even the first hole drilled through!
I thought I would give it a try.
Picked up the drill, pulled the trigger, and then I hit the switch & drilled just fine.
He had gone at it for 3 hours with the drill running in reverse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #123
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
He had gone at it for 3 hours with the drill running in reverse.
Hahahahahahahaha... just another reason I make sure of my directions when I use ratchets, impacts, or drills

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #124
Haybale
Haybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
2000 SW2
Dizzy Re: Dumbest Unintentional Thing You've Done To Your Saturn

Was replacing the wiper blades today on my new 00 SW2, the arm slipped out of my hand and broke the windshield....

Ryan

97 SL2 Mack Charcoal 5 speed, 238k miles, bought 11/18/15
98 SL2 Pearl White auto, 190k miles, 11/7/15 RIP
S-series Shop Manual: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177672

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Haybale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Haybale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #125
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haybale View Post
Was replacing the wiper blades today on my new 00 SW2, the arm slipped out of my hand and broke the windshield....
A group of us were working on some stuff - and we saw a guy do that on his Camaro. The dude lost it, raged and took a Crescent wrench to the windshield and threw glass everywhere. He must have hit it 20 times, cussing like a sailor....

When he finished bashing, panting like he'd run a mile uphill, old Bob (resident smartass philosopher) broke the strained silence with "Well that oughta teach it".

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #126
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haybale View Post
The impact from the spring loaded bare arm? That really stinks.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #127
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
He spun not from torque, but from the car's momentum trying to lift it off the ground
Those were the good times, when murderous thugs tried to kill me in a spectacular way!
Funny this should resurface. Just yesterday, someone from Idaho was in the wrong lane and I slowed way down to let them meander into the correct lane.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #128
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

1). I put a 7 inch long scrape in my passenger door with a too-close snowblower.

2). I disassembled the seat belt unit to the point of flying springs (not heeding the warning sticker) and ruined it thinking that it was broken. Only to find out that these things are intelligently designed to lock up until you put them back in the car correctly.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #129
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Cool thread, I haven't read all the old entries yet.

One time I was up on my roof spraying hornets. Ran can 1 out and threw it over the side so I wouldn't have to cart it down the ladder. Dented the hood from the bottom of the can. Dent is still there today.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #130
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I have a couple stories; both involving our 93 SW2 AT.

When we were in the process of moving in 2001 I ran out to Starbucks to get some coffees early in the morning as the coffee maker was packed. They had filled the coffees so full that every bump and turn spit hot coffee onto the shifter/seat/console/leg (1st gen, no cup holders) through the hole in the dome lid. By the time I got to the new house I was somewhat aggravated and all out of sorts. With the car still running and in gear I flung open the door and stepped out with the 2 coffees in hand only to watch my car slowly drive away. The SW2 rammed into our 95 Altima and the house while I stood there with 2 piping hot coffees. A couple scraped bumpers but nothing too serious. Damaged both cars!

Around the same time line we were attending a family reunion with the SW2 and we decided to drive over to the local swimming hole for a swim with our very young daughter. I was seeking a nice shady spot to keep the car cool and in the process got myself wedged between 2 boulders (meant to keep people out). While I was able to get in, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't maneuver myself out without scraping the side of the right rear bumper just behind the wheel. In hind site I could have had someone press in on the bumper to clear the boulder and avoided the scrapes to the paint.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #131
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Gosh! I have no stories - I feel left out.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #132
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Coming up on my 1 year of owning my Saturn and I have so far been able to:

1) break the windshield changing out the wiper blades (dad's fault)
2) put a dent in the rear drivers side floorboard after jacking up the car in a rush to change my tire (dad fixed lol)

Definitely some great mechanic learning experiences this past year ha!

Current:
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 "Sophia Loren 2"
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4
1993 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2
2003 Nissan Altima SE 3.5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpags729's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpags729 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #133
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

When our second kid was born, my wife could not get them to take a nap at the same time. At the time she was driving the Saturn which was only 4 years old. She would chuck them in the back, go driving around the back roads of Monroe and Easton, CT. They would sleep in the car. She was pulling down over 40 MPG consistently.

One evening I was in the garage making a clever roof for the family golf cart. I fabricated it out of 1/2" metal conduit. I had a piece leaning against something, and it fell over and smote the edge of the windshield. A mighty crack went all the way across. We swapped cars the next day so I could have it fixed in the lot at work. I was driving a 1991 manual transmission Ford Exploder. I never got it back, so the nap drive MPG went from 41 to 19.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #134
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

A few weeks ago I didn't screw the a new oil filter on all the way during an oil change and I didn't notice until after starting the car. That wasn't very fun to clean up, although now I'm not too worried about my subframe rusting away

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles