SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Front Struts and hardware availability issues

Alright, looks like our Astra will be due for some front struts soon. It sounds like my top plates are on the way out and I might as well change the struts at the same time. My sway bar links were changed 6 months ago and still seem fine.

Has anyone ran into issues getting the front suspension parts for our cars?

Looking at the GM diagrams it would seem these are the parts for my car:

strut:
right 93195747 *discontinued*
left 93195924 available

top plate formation

bearing
L&R 13270705 available

bumper
L & R 13117280 AVAILABLE

Top Plate
L&R 13186959 Available

Needless to say coming from the dealer all of this stuff is very expensive and one of the strut is discontinued.

I've been looking at my options through rock auto trying to find aftermarket support.

I can see the following available for struts.

Left
ACDELCO 93195924
SACHS 313480

Right
ACDELCO 93195925
SACHS 313478

Top Plate:
MOOG K160335 *Out of stock for the past 6 months, contacted MOOG they say they don't produce it?

SACHS 802269 Available but you can only order 1 as they don't have a 2nd one in stock and can't order a 2nd one.

Seems we are **** out of luck for suspension and exhaust parts on this car with things getting discontinued and hard to find.

Does anyone have a link to a European site where they will sell and ship the parts to us OR alternative part numbers for the top plates specifically? it does not look good in the long run for Astra specific parts in America. There must be aftermarket support for these cars in Europe, I don't know why companies like KYB, monroe, etc don't bring these parts over to sell in America. Many companies like BOSAL who makes and sell full exhaust systems for the ASTRA in Europe do not have them available in America and it gets me so angry! They don't even have to R&D the parts as they already exist they just need to stock some here at the warehouse in America for us to buy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2016, 03:02 AM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Front Struts and hardware availability issues

I was actually looking at all these parts just the other day as well.

The struts by ACDELCO on rockauto are OEM parts, the top mounts are relatively cheap from any gm parts store(online ones). Rock auto seems to carry almost everything required. Depending how quickly you need your top mounts, I will be removing my coilovers that are 1.5 years old and I can give you the top mounts that are on them.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
@dmin
@dmin is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

To add to this thread:

These strut mounts: [I can't link stuff yet so delete the space] https:// d2pautoparts.com/front-suspension-top-strut-mount-bearing-kit-13186959.html

Were $78.58 shipped for the pair from the UK to Michigan.

They look and feel okay for now, although I painted mine to stop the rust as my OE strut mounts ate themselves.

I would NOT use the included strut nuts though. I would order ones from the dealer.

The dealer strut nut is $3.91 each. Part number 24433051 It is a locking nut as it is pressed into an oval shape. It took 2 business days to come in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to @dmin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help @dmin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
@dmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I also had some rust and standing water in the top of my struts in California. You think sealing the caps would prevent this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
@dmin
@dmin is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
I also had some rust and standing water in the top of my struts in California. You think sealing the caps would prevent this?
Honestly, leaving the caps off might solve it. It'll have a way to vent or at least get some air in there. I'm hoping the paint will just slow the process.

This is what mine looked like btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170114_200529.jpg (164.8 KB, 50 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to @dmin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help @dmin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
@dmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Wow.

That is fuhgly. I need to look at mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
FieroAlex

2008 Astra XR

I'd like to add an update to this topic.

I have yet to replace my front shocks but they are just about due to be replaced.

I contacted the dealership and all front shocks for ASTRA XR are now discontinued.

Replacement "aftermarket spec" ACDELCO shocks are available for the XE through rock auto however they are not to XR Specifications and it is listed in the details that they are not for the coupe. I believe that they should bolt in but they will be softer.

SACHS replacement shocks are listed to be replacement for the XR however availability seems to be very limited. I have them in my watch list on rock auto and they seem to be in stock once every 2-3 months and they sell out quickly. I've only found one side listed as available online through other sources.

Europe has many replacement shocks available, notably Monroe and KYB however the part numbers are impossible to find in North America and I cannot seem to find anyone willing to ship here.

The moog top plates have yet to be in stock since I initially posted this topic in November 2016. OEM are still available through the dealership at a hefty sum. I've not verified the source listed by @admin yet.

I've contacted KYB and Monroe and there seems to be no interest to bring parts over to America for such a low production car. I've also tried to get Bosal and Walker to bring over their existing exhaust parts from Europe and they refuse.

Parts availability is becoming an issue with GM, the 10 year "rule" seems to be going out the door. I'm also having the same issue with my Late model Pontiacs!

Last edited by FieroAlex; 05-29-2017 at 08:33 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

In March of 2017 I ordered the complete front strut assemblies for my Auto trans 93195914 and 93195915 and the order was promptly changed to part numbers 93195924 and 93195925 that were struts only (with new bolts and top retainer clamp). I was at 77k miles so all the rest of my rubber and mounts were still in OK condition. Ride does not seem abnormally soft. Still feels tight and handles sharp.

But yes I was only able to find a new mount/bearing from the UK. We may have to investigate using a freight forwarder to get an address in the UK for shipment.

For the rear shocks I used AC delco 19295558 Not sure how I arrived at them but they were half the cost of the rears listed for all the astras. and they are plenty firm. Oh now I see Rock Auto had them listed, that's how I found them.

I don't think at this point we can be that picky with replacement parts and will have to take whats out there just to replace completely worn items.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
FieroAlex

2008 Astra XR

As an update to my post.

I found the top mounts from a seller in the UK through ebay. Total cost ship was $73 (USD) to my door in Canada for the pair.

The SACHS shocks magically came in stock last night so I ordered a pair from Rock auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Thought I would check in with the Astra brothers and sisters before I pull the lever on my pending damper purchase.

What to do?

What to do?

All of a sudden, Rock Auto, Ebay, and CariD.com are awash in the usually scarce ACDelco original front struts. Mind you, these are not the XR tauter version, but the looser XE type. CariD has the best price for just $63 and change, with the rear ones going for $58 each.

As it happens, I would be happy if I could get the stiffer XR version and call it done at that. But I am allowing this to metastasize into a ridiculous "First World" problem to preoccupy my mind; like a splinter in my mind, as Agent Smith once put it.

When I consider how often I put this car to 9/10ths use, it is probably only 0.02% of the time. My abuse of the car is mostly dropping to 3rd and a accelerating to 80 mph so I can pick my spot two lanes over and move there with a purpose. When I change lanes or I'm in a long turn, I don't load and unload the suspension with quick turns, so I think I would be satisfied to keep the springs that came with the car, just replace the struts/shocks along with strut mounts, boots, ball joint, and other rubber ducky items that would benefit changed to polyurethane. Sorry, I'm anal and this is what I do.

So my choices, in addition to the XE version of the struts mentioned, would be the following. And screw the Bilstein B4's, no me considero.

1.) Bilstein B6's for $160-180 each at the front, $135-150 each at the rear.

35-114635
35-114642
24-114653

2.) Bilstein B8's for $190-245 each at the front, $160-170 each at the rear.

35-114666
35-114673
24-114684

3.) A Sachs "touring" type that is easy to find, so I won't put the item numbers here. The cost is about $350 for all four corners.

4.) There is an upscale Koni option that seems about 85% of the cost of the Bilstein B6's. I am not including that info here because if I lose my mind and decide to spend that much, I want to row the boat out and go another 15% for Bilsteins.

5.) There are some Boge and other brands available, but by now you must have suspected I am having to look overseas to find these more premium options and one cannot feel safe ordering anything overseas without seeing the same information attributed to the same vehicle in three or four places. Where I've found Boge and these others, I cannot find the same information in enough trustworthy places. Google translation does not do Croatian, Maldovan, Romanian, or Serbian well enough to make me comfortable to use my credit card in those parts of Europe.

6.) Orange Koni's

Quick-strut
1120-2091

For $445 and a $115 shipping fee, there is a Koni quick-strut option on EBay with the springs made by H&R. I know I have stated I was looking at struts only, but there are enough reviews of this item on YouTube, that I haven't written this one off yet. You will note from videos that there are many Mustang enthusiasts that have changed out their Fox platform worn struts with this option for their cars and like the result. Anyway, I have had a hard time since owning this car to know how to compare the Saturn XR version to Opel/Vauxhall/Holden. The XR version is 20-30 mm lower than the XE, right? How does this compare to what Opel/Vauxhall/Holden have going on? GTC? OPC? WTFC? I only state this in case someone is serious about this option. In the details area upon ordering in Europe,there is a disclaimer that this package will not be as low as Astras with the lowered suspension.

More Orange Koni's

And then there is the option to purchase just these entry level Koni's, struts only. I have found them with konisuspensiondirect.com, carthrottle.com, and EP Automotive's website.

From what I've read and learned, I'm thinking of taking a chance that these entry level Koni's are more like our XR struts and compatible with our slightly lowered springs. If you want to give your input on whether you think I am right or wrong, fire away.

I include the Koni part numbers below and a rough average in $US after converting from UK sterling.

(FL) 8750-1085L $85.00
(FR) 8750-1085R "
(R) 8250-1025 $75.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #11
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Last week I drove my friend's XR for a few minutes. He obviously has different wheels and tyres.

Whilst the XR is not a sports car, the suspension feels significantly more sporty than my XE suspension does. I think the XR rides slightly lower but can't be sure due to the different wheels and fact I wasn't really looking.

So I would not consider XE struts for an XR unless you are in a bind.

Thanks for the cheap price links though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #12
JFS

2008 Astra XR
Default Merica!

Well, I have done it. I have given into my mad impulses. A wild hair has done gone where it should not, and I'm hopelessly afflicted. But it is going to be a good summer for the Silicon Valley Astra.

I found the B8 Bilstein rear struts (24-114684) right here in the good ol' USA, Summit Racing. They list for $100, which is much less than the best price I have seen in Europe. There is no VAT, no shipping across the pond, no California tax (9.35% in my county), and no delivery charge. And there is a 10% markdown on any purchase $200+ and this qualifies. They have four more right now.

That's right, just $90 each for uber alles tech rear struts. I also heard from a newer source in Germany, the proprietors of www.partsoutlet24.com. She copy and pasted my inquiry back to me for the B6 and B8 options above, with their prices of all four corners with each. As I have ordered the rear shocks, I will check with them on the front units. That 180 Euro shipping fee gives me pause and has me suspecting this is how they recoup a price lower than anyone else. They also add the newer part numbers for these items, but even they have them listed by the old ones on their website. From the partoutlet24.com lady:

B6

35-114635 (in stock number changed 22-274809)

35-114642 (in stock number changed 22-274816 delivery time June)

24-114653 (2) (in stock)

Price Euro 327,75 (without VAT)

B8

35-114666 (in stock number changed 22-274823)

35-114673 (in stock number changed 22-274830)

24-114684 (2) (in stock)

Price Euro 358,30 .- (without VAT.)

Transport cost Euro 180.- (door to door)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen – Best regards - Cordialmente

Petra Trettl

Partsoutlet24.com der N.T.P. GmbH | Handwerkerstr. 18 | 39057 – Eppan (BZ) (Italy)

Handelsregister: | USt.ID-Nr.: IT01345500217

Tel. +39 0471 062 830 | petra@partsoutlet24.com | www.partsoutlet24.com

Geschäftsführer: Jochen Trettl

Me here again. So I'm also in contact with a Polish distributor. His price is supposed to include shipping, but he has not replied about availability.

On paper, the car is worth $4800 at the most. It cost $7800, it has 82,000 miles now and I have owned it just over four years. It had 34,000 and was six years old when purchased. I am proceeding because I think I can get another 70-100K out of this car, so it might as well be even more fun. Besides, my wife got a good deal on a year-end special for a 2018 Mazda 3 and I cannot suffer her driving a better handling car than me. We sold our beloved 2004 AWD S60 and I'm using a bit of that to move forward (it had 270K miles).

I will post further intel soon. As the hair goes farther, I'm thinking springs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

JFS, I appreciate your thought process, your meticulous research and all the information you have shared thus far. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
JFS

2008 Astra XR

You are very welcome. But ohhhh, the slings and arrows I have endured on your behalf.

I hope this pastes well. It is a chat session with one "Mr. Anderson" at autodoc.co.uk that sure went south. My intentions were pure. I admire their DIY videos for our cars (although it is always a diesel Astra) and I will post them below the conversation. If you are of the blue variety politically, forgive my politically offensive and triggering comments. Without further adieu:

Chat started on 20 Mar 2019, 05:48 PM (GMT+0)
(05:48:34) *** Visitor 71506881 joined the chat ***
(05:48:36) Operator: Hello, can I help you?
(06:17:00) Visitor 71506881: Hello from the states.
(06:17:16) *** Christopher Anderson joined the chat ***
(06:17:19) Christopher Anderson: hello
(06:17:22) Christopher Anderson: what is your name?
(06:17:42) Visitor 71506881: Joe
(06:19:37) Visitor 71506881: Can you tell me why there are two prices for Bilstein parts #35-114666 and #22-274823? They are supposed to be the same part, the latter a newer number.
(06:22:47) Visitor 71506881: My friend, are you there? Talk to me Chistopher, talk to me son!!
(06:23:43) Christopher Anderson: Joe, could you please provide the VIN/chassis number of your car? And we'll try to find some options for you.
(06:24:30) Joe: It is an American car. You won't have it.
(06:24:51) Joe: It is a rebadged Opel/Vauxaull Astra H.
(06:25:27) Joe: 2008 Astra H 1.8l I4 coupe
(06:27:15) Christopher Anderson: unfortunately, we can only find suitable parts by the VIN code, Joe
(06:27:58) Joe: You do not sell overseas? Achtung. I have confirmed these numbers with Bilstein in Germany.
(06:28:39) Joe: Or are you saying you have access to an American VIN database?
(06:30:30) Joe: Any indication when this part, #22-274823 is available?
(06:31:18) Joe: Also, # 22-274830?
(06:32:55) Joe: C'mon, mate. America is Great Again and I want to spend a few bucks offshore.
(06:34:37) Joe: I gottcher your VIN right here:
2008 SATURN ASTRA 2D XR
VIN: W08AT271985047217
(06:35:01) Christopher Anderson: thanks, Joe
(06:35:25) Christopher Anderson: are you better off than you were before?
(06:35:33) Joe: Yes.
(06:36:09) Joe: Investments up 50% and more work.
(06:36:40) Joe: All the oil we want, not importing it from somewhere else forced to live in our mess.
(06:37:07) Christopher Anderson: do you think this is a good strategy?
(06:37:20) Joe: Versus what?
(06:37:35) Joe: Versus green chains?
(06:38:17) Joe: I live 8 miles from Tesla in Fremont. Let the markets make the changes, it is going clean already.
(06:39:30) Joe: How about those parts for a Silicon Valley Astra H?
(06:40:42) Joe: My earlier point is to drill here instead of somewhere it is not done responsibly.
(06:42:00) Christopher Anderson: this VIN code is wrong
(06:42:04) Christopher Anderson: can you recheck it please?
(06:42:44) Joe: It is an American VIN. I copied and pasted it from my insurance account.
(06:43:09) Joe: Let's concentrate on the parts matter and let me deal with the fitting.
(06:46:08) Joe: To review:
(06:47:17) Joe: 1.) Both numbers confirmed in person with Bilstein as correct, the latter from their newer catalogue. What can you say about the difference in price?
(06:47:48) Joe: 2.) When would these items be available?
(06:49:34) Christopher Anderson: can i have your OEMs?
(06:49:34) Joe: With the newer numbers, that would be 22-274830 and 22-274823.
(06:49:59) Joe: 1 min.
(06:51:54) Joe: 93195914 is the first, let me find 2nd
(06:53:34) Joe: 93195747
(06:59:16) Christopher Anderson: we are checking
(07:01:12) Christopher Anderson: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lnk-3454081 https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lnk-9341462 are you interested in any other parts, Joe?
(07:02:40) Joe: I am not interested in a Monroe product. Could you please dispense with trying to impossibly match a part and answer my questions about purchasing much more expensive parts?
(07:03:48) Joe: Bilstein 22-274830 and 22-274823?
(07:04:56) Joe: If you cannot or will not help, may I confer with a supervisor?
(07:08:34) Joe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooISvoZ_rs
(07:09:36) Joe: Mister Anderson?

(07:12:51) *** Joe has rated the chat Bad ***

(07:12:51) *** Joe has commented:

Unresponsive and refused to answer questions regarding availability and discrepancy of product pricing. ***

(07:12:53) *** Joe left the chat ***
NAME Joe
EMAIL —
PHONE —
LOCATION Milpitas, United States
URL https://www.autodoc.co.uk/monroe/7436886
DEPARTMENT EN
SERVED BY Christopher Anderson
RATING Bad
COMMENT Unresponsive and refused to answer questions regarding availability and discrepancy of product pricing.

DIY Videos:

Replacing a Strut Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3qbK9mHtY&t=482s

Replacing Front Struts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpRtWN3f4E

Brake Work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADVDNm5chr4&t=6s

There are several more regarding the Astra H.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
eric08

2008 Astra XR

I think you were remarkably restrained given the fact that he offered you Monroe in lieu of Bilstein as if they were interchangeable. The fellow must have been a nepotism hire. Thanks for the laughs, and your suffering. I'm sure I'll be replacing these components at some point in the near future with 82000 on the clock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2019, 01:36 AM   #16
JFS

2008 Astra XR

So far, I believe I've been very fortunate in my purchases. I went ahead and also purchased the Eibach Sportline spring set from an EBay vendor in Poland for $184, including shipping. They arrived in five business days to Northern California. Their store is at:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rallyshop_w...p2047675.l2559

The rear shocks were $180 from Summit (see above).

And the big ticket items were the front struts, $340 including shipping from Parts Outlet 24 (also above) in Germany. About $130 was for shipping, four days with UPS tracking. Their fulfillment is done from northern Italy, interestingly from one of the small German speaking enclaves. This was the most difficult transaction because their website does not support North American transactions, although they sure want to help personally with the purchase. I was stationed there for three years before the wall came down and was fairly conversant in German before I left. I suppose I know enough now to be dangerous on my own, but Google Translate does very well in direct language like helping one make a purchase. When operating from a distance like this, I was worried about getting ripped off or even getting knock-off items. The Bilsteins sure have a particular heavy construction, color scheme, and hologram stickers that would make it tough to pull off.

Now that these are in hand, I'm sourcing strut bearings, strut bumper, strut mounts, retainer plates and dust covers. I believe I can get all of this from North America, but sure interested in your thoughts on where to purchase. If I may further rile you, I have some specific questions:

1.) RockAuto is offering Moog strut mounts, strut bearings, and retainer plates for $43. Up until recently, I thought a lot of their products, but lately have seen some take-down YouTube videos on some of their components for Bimmers, whose owners used to think well of Moog. Any guidance?

2.) The coil spring insulator is no longer available for our cars. If you have recently had your springs and strut assemblies out, what shape were they in and would you replace them? Are these parts so specific (really, just a barrier to creaking, squeaking) that we cannot use another cars part or another material? Or should we expect the ability to peel it off and use it again?

3.) I once owned a 1991 Geo Storm Gsi (quit laughing) and purchased the Lotus designed suspension off a wrecked Isuzu impulse and made a direct swap from one sister car to the other. For the life of me, I cannot remember needing to put on any camber and caster adjustment set-up. Should I anticipate this? What, just buy a camber bolt for each corner? Just the front? I'd like to do this myself, but I'm lost here.

4.) Bilstein has some boilerplate advice on the five language document that came with the struts. Check for fender interference, get an alignment, adjust your headlights, and the one eating at me:

"All rubber mounted strut/damper attachments must not be fully tightened until AFTER the suspension system is loaded (wheels on the ground). Other mounting fasteners (for example brackets) must be securely tightened BEFORE load is placed on the suspension system." [Their emphasis]

I have been perusing many videos for pointers on this Sportline/Bilstein combination with other cars, and have not observed this sequence. Any thoughts?

In late May, I hope to take a day off and install everything at a local DIY garage (https://www.yelp.com/biz/pit-row-santa-clara-2).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #17
eric08

2008 Astra XR

Hola! It's good to hear that you've sourced all the major components in your choice of flavors. I'll give you what I can on your questions.

1) Indeed, Moog used to be a top-shelf OE replacement source, often times surpassing original quality. Somewhere along the globalization path it seems they've become simply pretty good. Most seem to still be comfortable purchasing their products, but they aren't nearly indestructible as they perhaps once were. Regardless, I think in this instance you'd be fine to utilize the parts. Ball joints/tie rods/control arms might be worth a side eye, but this setup will be fine so long as you're within OE spec, which I'm comfortable Moog is still operating within.

2) No tengo nada aquí. I haven't done a swap yet so I'm empty.

3) Unless I've missed something(I've been known to) you're replacing everything with stock components, albeit high end. If you were to change the height of the chassis through your efforts, some sort of customization, then I could see a need to factor this in. I believe you'll be able to bolt it together and be on your way, in sporty comfort. Really, the need for an alignment after replacing struts alone is questionable at best. I've known many who never get one after with no ill effects.

4) As it seems you'll well know, Germans are nothing if not ruthlessly thorough. It is SOP to torque suspension fasteners once, and while the vehicle is on the ground, thus loaded. Again this is something many disregard to a degree, but it wouldn't harm your project to do it in this manner. You could snug up the top bolt just enough to compress the spring and put a torque wrench on it easily enough once you're back on terra firma. Mind you, I've seen many just pound the top nut with an impact until it surrenders and call it good too.

Hopefully we'll get some others to chime in. That's my two cents, which even with the relatively low rate of inflation is worth little.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
AstraFasta
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

A few tips.

Once you disassemble the suspension, you need to get an alignment. Else parts and tires may wear quickly. This also provides some measured confirmation that everything is sorted.

Certain suspension bits can be tightened on the lift. Other bits need to be tightened when car is on the ground. This is important for (e.g. for alignment, stress engineering, so fasteners work properly). This Procedure might be in the Hayes manual (I can check if you like). Also might be on: https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/ Your local library may have access to professional manual via internet (you will need to use a terminal in the library - that is the best.)

I suppose you will source from Stabilizer Bar Links that seem to have short lives on the Astra.

Why not ping the Brits with a brief summary of your plan. They do a lot more modding to the Astra: https://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk...php?10-Astra-H

Looking forward to your photos and tutorial.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #19
wisconsinfan
wisconsinfan is on a distinguished road

So can someone tell me if the Sachs strut on rockauto is an oem for the XR astra 3dr? My mount rusted out completely and I'd like to just change the struts along with the mount. Are there any other parts that I'd need besides these two? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wisconsinfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wisconsinfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wisconsinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #20
eric08

2008 Astra XR

The Sachs listing is comparable to the AC set listed, so no. Sachs did at one time offer a sport chassis option but that set has been discontinued. The curious thing for me regarding the AC units is that the dealer sites do not show a discontinued XR version. Was the real difference in the springs alone? I need to pull a wheel and see WTH is on the stock struts in the way of numbering.

Your strut of choice and the mounting plate kit should be all you need. New bolts to mount to the knuckle aren't hard to source if yours are crusty. Congrats on your mileage mark BTW, Wisconsin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!