SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Getting the Bolt Off the End of the Crankshaft

This one seems to come up often enough in the tech forum that there probably should be a How-To for it. I haven't used all these methods, but others have posted that they have. The bolt is torqued to 159 ftlbs.

DO NOT USE HEAT!!! There are seals there that would be most likely be affected. This is a normal bolt not left hand threads...turn counter clockwise.

Use a long breaker bar with a two foot piece of pipe as a cheater hold the pulley still with a crowbar. I've managed to get one loose this way.

Same as above but with an extention and a piece of wood holding the head of the breaker bar up for leverage.

Five to 10 minutes with an impact wrench. Be sure you are using an impact socket.

Jam the breaker bar into the ground and bump the starter. It does turn the right way to get it off.

Get the pulley held with a crowbar, jam the breaker bar into the ground, and lower the car.

Use a small hydraulic jack against the end of the breaker bar handle

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Getting the Bolt Off the End of the Crankshaft

i used a 5 foot long cheater bar...

anyway another way to keep the crankshaft from turning(as i did). for manual transmission only. with the transmission still connected to the engine(and perferably having a second person to hold the engine down if removed from vehicle). remove transmission shift cover. assuming the transmission is in neutral, you should see this - http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...p/photo/16757/ those three things in the middle are the shift forks, they are what apply each gear(as selected by the shifter) each fork controls two gears(one up, one down, center is nether, just like your shifter) move the shift forks manually(flathead screwdriver helps) so you are in two gears at the same time, as in this photo - http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...p/photo/16758/ any two gears, it doesn't matter which. this will bind up the transmission and thru the clutch lock the crankshaft in place.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrap615
i used a 5 foot long cheater bar...

anyway another way to keep the crankshaft from turning(as i did). for manual transmission only. with the transmission still connected to the engine(and perferably having a second person to hold the engine down if removed from vehicle). remove transmission shift cover. assuming the transmission is in neutral, you should see this - http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...p/photo/16757/ those three things in the middle are the shift forks, they are what apply each gear(as selected by the shifter) each fork controls two gears(one up, one down, center is nether, just like your shifter) move the shift forks manually(flathead screwdriver helps) so you are in two gears at the same time, as in this photo - http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...p/photo/16758/ any two gears, it doesn't matter which. this will bind up the transmission and thru the clutch lock the crankshaft in place.
Why not just put the tranny in 5th gear and have someone hold the brakes? Easier and doesnt put much strain on the drive line
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
Why not just put the tranny in 5th gear and have someone hold the brakes? Easier and doesnt put much strain on the drive line
Carmen
that may work, but i already had the engine out

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
mrbios
mrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

No pry bars need apply...

1. Remove the plastic splash guard. Go to any tire shop and give them a few $$ to loosen the bolt then snug it enough to get home. When the work is complete return and have them tighten it.

2. If you have a compressor go to a hose shop and have them make an 7' 1/2" or 3/4" ID hose. Remove the air fitting on your gun and screw the hose directly into the gun and pull the trigger.

3. Buy the Earth Quake gun from Harbor Frieight - designed for low pressure compressors. Only needs ~ 120 psi.

4. buy a compressor that goes to 150 or 175 psi and regulator to match. Plug in something like my 20 year old standard 450 ft lbs "peace maker" impact gun and screw the short 3/4 ID hose directly into the gun. Set regulator to 165 psi pull the trigger and it will break the bolt and remove it literately in a split second.

BTW, some heat from a torch (or heat gun similar to a hair dryer) applied directly to the bolt will help break the bond of the factory applied loctite (if the bolt is heated to about 450 degrees) and can be helpful but allow the bolt to cool as heat enlarges it. But as open flames and gas don't mix just save time and go to the tire shop.

Happy trails....

Last edited by mrbios; 06-07-2014 at 09:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrbios's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrbios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
ndifrischia
ndifrischia is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Nailed that thing with an impact wrench and breaker bar plus pipe... nothing.... one try with the starter bump... off.. so easy i was disgusted at how my feeble arms and cheater bar didn't work!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ndifrischia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ndifrischia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ndifrischia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791 View Post
Carmen
This wont work for an Automatic, The only was I was able to get mine off was bumping the starter with a breaker bar on the end, My impact gun does not have enough power because my compressor is not big enough.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

Problem I had when trying to get mine off with the crow-bar method of jamming the pulley:

I looked at all possible angles but the only angle that worked had my crowbar resting against the aluminum timing cover, so all the force I was using on the crank pulley bolt was just mashing the crowbar into the timing cover.

It actually resulted in creating a dent large enough that later developed a slight oil leak.

I was never successful in getting the bolt loose w/ the breaker bar + 4' pipe. I even tried bumping the starter twice.

I will say USE CAUTION if you're planning on jamming a crowbar in the pulley. If you FUBAR the timing cover, you're in for a much larger project than replacing the crank seal.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Problem I had when trying to get mine off with the crow-bar method of jamming the pulley:

I looked at all possible angles but the only angle that worked had my crowbar resting against the aluminum timing cover, so all the force I was using on the crank pulley bolt was just mashing the crowbar into the timing cover.

It actually resulted in creating a dent large enough that later developed a slight oil leak.

I was never successful in getting the bolt loose w/ the breaker bar + 4' pipe. I even tried bumping the starter twice.

I will say USE CAUTION if you're planning on jamming a crowbar in the pulley. If you FUBAR the timing cover, you're in for a much larger project than replacing the crank seal.
I've never had an issue getting a crank bolt out. But I always use my 1/2" impact gun that does 700ft/lbs in reverse.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
spettro9
spettro9 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I've done it twice,

1st time I used a big plumber's wrench and put the bottom jaw under one of the 3 "spokes" of the crankshaft pulley, and the handle of the wrench was nestled against the sway bar (so it wouldn't slide out ) with the bottom end of wrench touching the ground (or raised up with a wood block or 2).

this last time I used a 16" long or so 1" or 1.5" piece of iron pipe positioned in the same way.

Worked quite well. Doesn't damage anything.

(Now the hard part I am having is holding the crank to tighten the flywheel (ok, flexplate..) to torque converter bolts. Harder because you are turning the other way and wrench/pipe goes under right side so you don't have the sway bar to keep from sliding out...)

2001 Silver SC1, from craigslist in Clifton, NJ 2011/01/21, with 70k miles, $3K,
27 normal (winter 25 mpg) / 37-40 highway
(just have to watch oil a bit... seems to be 3/4 qt in 1000 miles, )

Last edited by spettro9; 11-26-2014 at 03:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spettro9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spettro9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spettro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
spettro9
spettro9 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Oh yeah,
I also take the windshield wiper fluid bottle out of the way so I can get the breaker bar + cheater pipe through that opening...

That said, I think getting on the ground with breaker bar under bumper and pushing up actually did it the one time

Wratcheting 1/2" breaker bar (NOT torque wrench) would be key here, as you could get the right position where you can crack the nut open...

2001 Silver SC1, from craigslist in Clifton, NJ 2011/01/21, with 70k miles, $3K,
27 normal (winter 25 mpg) / 37-40 highway
(just have to watch oil a bit... seems to be 3/4 qt in 1000 miles, )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spettro9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spettro9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spettro9 is offline   Reply With Quote