SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
demoncamber
demoncamber is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Odd engine movement/vibration while idling randomly?

Ok this one really puzzles me... This has happened maybe 5 times, one of which being earlier today, and it happens very randomly.

While sitting at idle at a light or anywhere really, suddenly the car will start to lightly jerk/vibrate sequentially in a rhythm as if the motor was sputtering, a balance shaft was off, fuel injector became clogged or something of that nature.

The RPM guage doesn't really move and the exhaust note does not change much, no real obvious signs that the motor is under abnormal stress when this occurs, but it has me a bit worried as to what it may be. My motor mounts don't seem to be bad as I do not get this all the time and happens not so often.

As for maintenance, I've recently replaced the ECTS, cleaned throttle body, seafoamed (every 5k for fuel) oil/intake, did an oil/filter change.

///M5sc2-126k-5spd-Eagle GT's
-2x Alpine TypeS 12in 1223D -Kenwood KAC8104D -Audiobahn A4401T
-Alpine SPS-600c - Infinity Kappa 62.9I - 1.5f Cap

Last edited by demoncamber; 06-07-2010 at 04:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demoncamber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demoncamber is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Mizzou
Mizzou is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Odd engine movement/vibration while idling randomly?

You seafoam every 5k.?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mizzou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mizzou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Usually, although realistically now that I think about it, it's every 8k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Sounds like the upper mount is on the way out.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
demoncamber

1997 SC2

But it's not consistent... And only randomly happens, to me it feels like a fuel issue.

I started the car today with the gas pedal down all the way to clean everything out (does this also depressurize the fuel lines?) then depressed the pedal and started normally and was surprised to have the sputtering feeling then it began to idle smoothly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How many miles on the car? It might be the catcon falling apart and cat guts randomly clogging the exhaust flow. Use your hand to bang the cat for loose cat guts.

If its fuel related, a pressure gauge is needed to monitor any transient pressure changes.

If its ignition related, you'll have to ensure the ignition module and coils are cleaned of corrosion, and none of the coil wires arc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
demoncamber

1997 SC2

I've recently changed the plugs and wires not too long ago, and this issue started about 2/3 of the time since they were installed so I do not think that's causing it. I used dielectric grease and there is no corrosion, how do you check for arching?

I'll try the cat punching tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Arcing, or high voltage jumping off from coil wire or coil tower to anything nearby is due to dry rot, cracked coil wires, or thoroughly soaked ignition parts from attempting to drive through 3-feet of floods if the engine didn't drown from sucking in water. The simple test for arcing is spraying a water mist on the coil wires with an idling engine in the dark at night and watching the fireworks; good healthy plug wires won't allow the high voltage to jump through the insulation and water spray adds to the test to allow any weak wires to show up quicker. Since the 0.040 gap is where the high voltage is supposed to jump, any insulation breakdown will allow high voltage to jump out and connect to the nearest ground source whether its the wires next to it or the engine block. Seeing sparks means time to replace the plug wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote