SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
Mtuk_Neo
Mtuk_Neo is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Dizzy Saturn (97) SC wiring diagram

Yo dudes...I am trying to install a Kenwood CD player into my SC1, and frankly...my manual tells me JACK about what fuse is what and what wire is what when it comes to my STOCK radio and the wires...HELP. Anyone know a place that has a good diagram? or someone know what each of the wires are that are on the wiring harness....? I know the BLACK one is ground (duh...)

THese are the wires that come out of the wiring harness:

1. (two) Dark Green
2. (two) yellow
3. (one) light green
4. (one) light tan
5. (two) dark poo-brown
6. (one) medium blue
7. (one) light blue
8. (one) orange
9. (one) grey

And thats all of them. If someone could EMAIL me back that would be great: Neo@Wolfmovie.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mtuk_Neo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mtuk_Neo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

There's a MUCH easier way to do this...go to Walmart and spend $10 on a GM radio harness wiring adapter for the year of your Saturn. (In the stereo section of the automotive dept.) It's VERY easy to install (just match up the wire colors to the harness) keeps the factory harness intact, and allows you to easily put the factory radio back in if you decide to sell the car of your head unit breaks down.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Actaeon
Actaeon is on a distinguished road

If you're interested, I have a install dash kit, and a wiring harness for sale for $20 shipped for both items.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=23886

If you're not interested in the harness (made installing my CD player 10x easier!), I could give you what each color does according to the instructions on the wiring harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Actaeon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Actaeon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:12 AM   #4
Mtuk_Neo

1997 SC1

Ooo! Yes! VERY interested in a new wiring harness and kit! I have already gone to ALL the stores around here (Target, Autozone, NAPA, Walmart...you name it) and they have the WRONG YEAR install kits! And if they DO have them...they want a lot for a few pieces of plastic and two pieces of metal. UGH!

Anyway, email me dude! Lets see what I can set-up...I cant use PayPal right now (bank empty) but I have $20 in my hands (get a MO and send to ya). Neo@WolfMovie.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mtuk_Neo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:47 AM   #5
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

A good, cheap source for these adapters and install kits is Sounddomain.com. And the shipping is reasonable as well. Example: the 96+ Saturn "plastic" is $6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 AM   #6
Mtuk_Neo

1997 SC1

Thanks Ted But I think I am gunna stick with my buddy, Actaeon...unless I can get a better deal through Sounddomain.com

THANKS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2003, 01:01 AM   #7
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

By the way--GM stereo wiring harnesses haven't changed since 1986. So your '97 would use a standard GM adapter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
imtfox
imtfox is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Don't forget the GM antenna adapter...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imtfox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imtfox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:39 PM   #9
TedL

I don't know about other GM, but Saturns are not all the same. The 2000 connector is definitely not the same as the '96, which I believe is also different from the 91 -94. Check the Scosche.com web site, and I think you'll find different connectors, including a separate one for 2000+ Saturns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #10
TedL

I don't know about other GM, but Saturns are not all the same. The 2000 connector is definitely not the same as the '96, which I believe is also different from the 91 -94. Check the Scosche.com web site, and I think you'll find different connectors, including a separate one for 2000+ Saturns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 08-28-2003, 10:10 PM   #11
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I meant 1988 not 1986. Well I was basing that on the many harness adapters I bought that were labeled "GM stereo harness adapter 1988+". Also those many stereo jobs on GM cars were not all Saturns--and they had the same harness as my '96 and my '97.
Ok I went to the Scosche website and looked around:
-GM harness changes occured in 1978, 1988, and 2000
-There was a 1994+ harness but it must have seen only limited use since the '96, '97, '98, and '00 vehicles I worked on last all used the 1988+ harness (Malibu, Silverado, Saturn, Saturn, Saturn, Silverado, Sierra)
Personally, if the newer vehicles have mixed harnesses as the Schosche site suggests, I think that sux. So much simpler when GM=GM no matter what.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:30 PM   #12
TedL

Couldn't agree with you more..............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Closed Thread